Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

lawrence

May 19, 2012

incase some people were wondering, if they talked to Schmidt about being traded or was he consulted by the Knights management.

they didn't have too because Vancouver was not on his not to trade list. So the assumption because Van was not on the list, the trade happened, he got a text his buddy Holtby and that was it. He probably got text by the gm after and our gm, welcoming him and so for.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
This trade is a gift. VGK had to move cap to get AP.

I don’t think this significantly changes my view of Benning.

Lol what else does the guy have to do to get your approval.

Draft a Franchise C- check
Draft a Franchise D- check
Draft Elite Winger- check

Draft Calder Finalist/Winner 3 years in a row- Check

JT Miller for 20th pick- 71 st pick and AHL goalie- check

Nate Schmidt for 3rd round pick- check

Tanner Pearson for Erik Gufbranson - check

Tyler Motte for Thomas Vanek- check

The grass isny always greener. If your biggest complaint about Bening is him over-paying for botttom 6 players and free agents well then Canucks are sitting pretty. Every team has over-paid bums but not everyteam has the foundational pieces the Canucks do at the age that the core is.

Even when Schmidt was interviewed today he said he buzz in the bubble was the young Canucks and the style of hockey they play and their bright future.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Whether or not they went to the Cup that year does not negate the fact that they are an expansion team that has never drafted higher than #6 overall.

I agree that it is an incredible deal.
Then we agree :nod:.

To the other point, my impression was that you were arguing that being on Vegas negated the fact that he was a number one D because, 'he's only competing with expansion fodder'. But their D was literally good enough that year to almost win the cup. Which basically stops the other argument in its tracks.

Anyhow, I'm super super stoked on this, and I think all Canucks fans should be.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

The grass isny always greener. If your biggest complaint about Bening is him over-paying for botttom 6 players and free agents well then Canucks are sitting pretty. Every team has over-paid bums but not everyteam has the foundational pieces the Canucks do at the age that the core is.

Even when Schmidt was interviewed today he said he buzz in the bubble was the young Canucks and the style of hockey they play and their bright future.

Agreed.

It goes to show the importance of early impressions.

Like if we had fired Jim Benning, and brought in someone who was young and obvious about being into analytics in 2017, the same people who hate Jim Benning would be all on his dick.

You have to separate 2014-16 Jim Benning, who was awful. Chased his tail trying to recreate Boston with a roster that wasn't built for it, totally misread the way the wind was blowing in 2016 in two ways. The game was getting faster at an incredible rate, this drummed out a whole bunch of vets, there was massive turnover...months after Benning had overpaid terrible players including Sbisa. If he had waited, like he did now, there were decent vets for pennies on the dollar.

Everything you referenced, comes from 2017-present. He's been a fantastic GM for the most part since that point. If he was DimJim prior to 2017 (a denigrating nickname I don't really like), then he's been Jet Black Jim since then. And with his shoe polish hair dye job, has come the wisdom to earn that moniker.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I dont really agree with free agency being a huge flop even before Schmidt.

They made a team decision, and the right one, not to offer Markstrom and Tanev long term massive contracts.
They are just too old for the core and when its cup window will open.

They refused to up the offer for OEL and give Arizona any value whatsover for OEL.

That leaves Tofolli and Stecher.

Friedman said Benning had been working on the Schmidt trade all weekend long and he thinks that deal was done by Saturday which fits the timeline on why he let Tofolli and Stecher walk.

I think with what was going on behind the scenes which of course the public isnt previ to it made it seem like Benning wasnt getting anyone signed when in reality he had Schmidt in his back pocket.
I like the cut of your jib.
A lot of people on this site act like if we aren't privy to something, it doesn't exist. From what I heard, the Canucks had other balls in the air like Tyson Barrie. But for everyone who was panicked that we hadn't made a move in a flat cap UFA period, I thought it inevitable that superior players would shake loose when the big fish went shooting for the stars.

Let's not forget, our team as constructed simply isn't good enough, and is really trying to build so that their apex is 2 or 3 years from now when the bad contracts end. So stretching ourself to re-sign all of those free agents would have hamstrung us in mediocrity, and then some of those contracts would have become albatrosses, thus repeating the cycle.

OEL could have been a fantastic add if they had given him to us for pennies on the dollar, while retaining a bit and taking back a bad contract. That's like Deus ex Machina levels of positive intervention, that's worth focusing on. And if you lose a Troy Stecher in that process, the human side of you grieves for a good man, but as a team trying to build a cup caliber team? You do that all day, everyday.

Then he didn't get seduced by the dream and give up something stupid like Podkolzin, a 1st, or I would argue, Hoglander. He moved on with some patience and hit an absolute homerun.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
just ignore him like the rest of us. Some people just cant be saved for the life of them
Even though I don’t entirely agree with the poster, why should we ignore people whose opinion differs from ours. He offered a reasonable take. I respect him posting an unpopular opinion as a Canucks fan.

Tanev has been a stud for us for years. I can’t fathom Schmidt being better defensively. Transition=yes. Skating=yes. Offensively=sure. Defensively? Nope. I would like to see him in our lineup and would love to be proven wrong though.

Tanev got probably more out of his skillset than any D that I’ve watched. He wasn’t very strong, not that fast (average), not big, and a super muffin shot. But has the heart of a lion and insane understanding of the game. I would love to see him become an NHL coach one day.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
uh oh VEGAS!

Nate just said Shea Theodore always raves about Vancouver and how great it is and he owns a place at Downtown Vancouver.

Shea Theodore coming home when he hits free agency! confirmed?
Yeah just like Benn, Barzal, Morgan Reilly are coming here.:sarcasm:

Shea is from metro Vancouver, so no shock he owns a summer place here. (I know you’re joking btw, just too much time on my hands today)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This trade really should be

Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick PLUS losing Virtanen or Gaudette for nothing

Canucks can't sign those two even with Ferland on LITR.

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011

Sad that a huge list of bad contracts means drafting well with high picks is enough for you to believe. You would be a huge fan of any oilers gm.

The fact that Benning has hamstrung this team for two more years and that we will now overpay the RFAs we have is not a positive. We were one of the worst teams in the bubble, us making it that far has really convinced people he has done a good job but the person that got us there is now gone. So with demko and holtby we have to hope for a hart worthy performance. If we draft highly again peeps will still love it. Schmidt has a contract no one wanted to give tanev yet you all now love it for a more offensive D.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
That's untrue. They can exceed the cap by 10percent in the offseason. They will likely buy out Sutter after the Virtanen arbitration. They can send Eriksson and Baertschi to the AHL. They will have cap room to spare after doing so.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick PLUS losing Virtanen or Gaudette for nothing

Fake news? Canucks can easily sign those 2 with Ferland on LTIR. Idk why you expect them to make more than 5M combined. According to capfriendly they have just under 2M in cap space already with 13F 6D 2G. Ferly on LTIR frees up 1 roster spot which they would need anyways unless they plan on going 15F 6 D 2G (highly unlikley).

2M + 3.5M = 5.5M. Gaudette would max cost 2M. Virtanen max would cost 3M. thats 5M at worst. Baertschi is probably waived. Thats now 13F 6D 2G. This leaves just over 1.5M roughly in space. Thats enough for 2 league min contracts bringing them to a 23 man roster

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Fake news? Canucks can easily sign those 2 with Ferland on LTIR. Idk why you expect them to make more than 5M combined. According to capfriendly they have just under 2M in cap space already with 13F 6D 2G. Ferly on LTIR frees up 1 roster spot which they would need anyways unless they plan on going 15F 6 D 2G (highly unlikley).

2M + 3.5M = 5.5M. Gaudette would max cost 2M. Virtanen max would cost 3M. thats 5M at worst. Baertschi is probably waived. Thats now 13F 6D 2G. This leaves just over 1.5M roughly in space. Thats enough for 2 league min contracts bringing them to a 23 man roster

$2M for Gaudette is super low when guys like Sam Bennett, Chris Tienery, etc. make more than $2.5M and I expect Virtanen to cost $3M to $3.5M... so $6M.

$1.9M cap + $3.5M Ferland LITR + $1M for burying Sven + $1M for burying Loui/Sutter = $7.5M cap space

That's 13F 6D 2G... but of course you definitely want to sign a vet or recall a 7th D with $1.5M cap space so... I'm wrong the Canucks do have space but it's super tight.

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
6M is too much...unless they plan on offering a super long term deal..Gaudette has no arb rights ...they'll prob come in @ 4-5M total on some short (ish) term deal

LOL @ the one who says we can't afford those 2 even if we put Ferland on LTIR...smh

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
Even though I don’t entirely agree with the poster, why should we ignore people whose opinion differs from ours. He offered a reasonable take. I respect him posting an unpopular opinion as a Canucks fan.

Tanev has been a stud for us for years. I can’t fathom Schmidt being better defensively. Transition=yes. Skating=yes. Offensively=sure. Defensively? Nope. I would like to see him in our lineup and would love to be proven wrong though.

Tanev got probably more out of his skillset than any D that I’ve watched. He wasn’t very strong, not that fast (average), not big, and a super muffin shot. But has the heart of a lion and insane understanding of the game. I would love to see him become an NHL coach one day.

because clearly the poster is a troll

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
$2M for Gaudette is super low when guys like Sam Bennett, Chris Tienery, etc. make more than $2.5M and I expect Virtanen to cost $3M to $3.5M... so $6M.

$1.9M cap + $3.5M Ferland LITR + $1M for burying Sven + $1M for burying Loui/Sutter = $7.5M cap space

That's 13F 6D 2G... but of course you definitely want to sign a vet or recall a 7th D with $1.5M cap space so... I'm wrong the Canucks do have space but it's super tight.
Andrew mangiapane whom put up similar stats to virtanen just signed a 2yr 2.415M per deal. Gaudette is a RFA with no arbitration rights and scored most of his points on the pp. no way he gets more than 2M

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Andrew mangiapane whom put up similar stats to virtanen just signed a 2yr 2.415M per deal. Gaudette is a RFA with no arbitration rights and scored most of his points on the pp. no way he gets more than 2M

I argue Mangiapane took a discount. He was overlooked in his draft year and drafted in the 6th round the following year and basically unheralded/unknown. Gaudette won the Hobey Baker.

I think Gaudette gets $2M for a one year "show me" deal and $2.5M/yr for a two year deal and suspect the Canucks prefer the latter.

Virtanen is closer to Kassian/Ferland/Nino/JoshAnderson/Greenway... where he gets an extra $500K or $1M for his "grit" so $3M/yr is my minimum.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
I argue Mangiapane took a discount. He was overlooked in his draft year and drafted in the 6th round the following year and basically unheralded/unknown. Gaudette won the Hobey Baker.

I think Gaudette gets $2M for a one year "show me" deal and $2.5M/yr for a two year deal and suspect the Canucks prefer the latter.

Virtanen is closer to Kassian/Ferland/Nino/JoshAnderson/Greenway... where he gets an extra $500K or $1M for his "grit" so $3M/yr is my minimum.
Just out of curiosity, who on your favourite team would you trade for Virtanen and Gaudette? I assume you're an oilers fan, would you trade Yamamoto and Bouchard? Or Broberg and Lavoie?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

Even if this is accurate ( which it is not)

That is still a robbery trade!

Virtanen, Gaudette, 3rd for a top pairing Dman

Back to reality, Canucks will be able to sign both Virtanen and Gaudette no proble. Though im not convinced the Canucks have any long term plans to have Virtanen on the team. They did try to trade him to Arizona for OEL.

What I think is a more accurate statement is the Canucks chose not to or couldnt re-sign Tofolli because they traded for Schmidt. Which again, is a trade off i would make 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->