Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Is Schmidt that big of an upgrade on Tanev ? (I haven't seen him play much) Canucks fans in general were glad they didn't sign Tanev for 4 yrs 4.5, taking him until 34 yrs old, Schmidt is another 5 years at 5.95, taking him to 34 as well, I know Tanev is injury prone. But that's a lot of cap space tied up. People asking what more Jim Benning has to do to gain respect, but I think It's kind of telling no other GM's were willing give up even just a 3rd to take on that kind of cap hit. Is Schmidt really that good ?( honest question, I just don't have expertise to judge). Edit forgot to factor in his 10 team NMC. So Vegas was a bit handcuffed.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This does help Vancouver with 5v5 offense he pushes the pace.
Schmidt does give back a bit 5v5 in his own zone.though but not that much

He is a right shot which Vancouver doesnt have any of
its a respectable trade from their stand point

He is better than Tanev
But keeping stecher and making this trade would have been amazing for Vancouver for their defense core.

Nate is a lefty

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Is Schmidt that big of an upgrade on Tanev ? (I haven't seen him play much) Canucks fans in general were glad they didn't sign Tanev for 4 yrs 4.5, taking him until 34 yrs old, Schmidt is another 5 years at 5.95, taking him to 34 as well, I know Tanev is injury prone. But that's a lot of cap space tied up. People asking what more Jim Benning has to do to gain respect, but I think It's kind of telling no other GM's were willing give up even just a 3rd to take on that kind of cap hit. Is Schmidt really that good ?( honest question, I just don't have expertise to judge).

Tanev is a one dimensional, injury prone defenceman that is an average skater. He is not even in the realm of Schmidt when it comes to all-around game.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Ah k so they can be buried as a one way if it's below that, thanks for the info!
If you bury a player who has a cap hit higher than that number, you get $1,075,000 in cap relief, but everything above that stays on the cap

So, for example, if Tampa sent Tyler Johnson to the minors, as an example, $1,075,000 would come off the books, but a 5,000,000-1,075,000=$3,925,000 cap hit would be stuck on their cap, even though he's not playing for them.

A two-way contract essentially says, "We'll pay you $700,000 in the NHL, but if you get sent down, you only get $30,000", or whatever their numbers may be in the contract.
Teams like the Leafs flex their financial muscles by giving out one-way contract to minor league players, essentially saying, "Yes, you may get sent down to the AHL, but if you do, other teams would pay you $75k; we're prepared to offer you your whole $900k."

So... to go back to your original point, yes, impossible to get Virtanen, Gaudette, and Chatfield all signed, even to league min, and keep them all on the NHL roster, with the current space.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Tanev is a one dimensional, injury prone defenceman that is an average skater. He is not even in the realm of Schmidt when it comes to all-around game.

I love it when posters are suddenly an authority on a player they have only watch 10-15 times because he's now a member of their team. I guarantee you know very little about Schmidt relative to Tanev, so any comparison is lopsided and inaccurate.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Is Schmidt that big of an upgrade on Tanev ? (I haven't seen him play much) Canucks fans in general were glad they didn't sign Tanev for 4 yrs 4.5, taking him until 34 yrs old, Schmidt is another 5 years at 5.95, taking him to 34 as well, I know Tanev is injury prone. But that's a lot of cap space tied up. People asking what more Jim Benning has to do to gain respect, but I think It's kind of telling no other GM's were willing give up even just a 3rd to take on that kind of cap hit. Is Schmidt really that good ?( honest question, I just don't have expertise to judge). Edit forgot to factor in his 10 team NMC. So Vegas was a bit handcuffed.
Ppl will disagree with me but Tanev is better and fits us better.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Tanevs injury list is too long. It was the correct decision 100% to let him walk rather than sign him to a multi year deal

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yotes gotta be poopin razor blades too. Sabres might help them with a goalie if they have any cap left.

Hossa contract my dude. Not an issue.

Razor blades is needing to sign Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak with literally every other meaningful piece of money on your roster blocked by clauses except Point.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s times like this that make me wonder where Vancouver could be right now if Benning hadn’t saddled himself early on with all those terrible signings.
He’s pulled a couple of home runs the last FA with JT Miller and Schmidt for picks but there’s still so much dead weight on the roster. Maybe him not having a lot of cap space is actually a good thing as it forces him to act responsibly.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
This is bs. He isn’t one dimensional, he is very good at defending and is also good at moving the puck and his offense is underrated. He has a sneaky good wrist shot.

Average skater... what are you talking about? He isn’t an elite skater like he was a couple years ago but is still above average. Schmidt is a little better offensively but not as good at defending. Tanev is slightly better.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Tanevs injury list is too long. It was the correct decision 100% to let him walk rather than sign him to a multi year deal
Yeah I know the injuries issue, when I googled his injuries when we traded for him it listed some and said like 70 something more lines, I just about hit the fetal position.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It’s times like this that make me wonder where Vancouver could be right now if Benning hadn’t saddled himself early on with all those terrible signings.
He’s pulled a couple of home runs the last FA with JT Miller and Schmidt for picks but there’s still so much dead weight on the roster. Maybe him not having a lot of cap space is actually a good thing as it forces him to act responsibly.

I know. If we had been able to keep Toffoli, and maybe try to pry a good player out of Tampa...ah well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad