Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This does help Vancouver with 5v5 offense he pushes the pace.
Schmidt does give back a bit 5v5 in his own zone.though but not that much

He is a right shot which Vancouver doesnt have any of
its a respectable trade from their stand point

He is better than Tanev
But keeping stecher and making this trade would have been amazing for Vancouver for their defense core.
I think we still get one of Vatanen, Haminic or Gustafson.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is bs. He isn’t one dimensional, he is very good at defending and is also good at moving the puck and his offense is underrated. He has a sneaky good wrist shot.

Average skater... what are you talking about? He isn’t an elite skater like he was a couple years ago but is still above average. Schmidt is a little better offensively but not as good at defending. Tanev is slightly better.

lmao, you are actually arguing that Tanev is better than the top 2 defenceman on a Stanley Cup contending team?

Last edited by a moderator:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I love it when posters are suddenly an authority on a player they have only watch 10-15 times because he's now a member of their team. I guarantee you know very little about Schmidt relative to Tanev, so any comparison is lopsided and inaccurate.
Well consider that at a bare minimum they watched a 7 game series a month ago....

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I know the injuries issue, when I googled his injuries when we traded for him it listed some and said like 70 something more lines, I just about hit the fetal position.

Yup. Really, really loved Tanev. I would've been thrilled if he'd signed a 2 year deal at the cap hit he got. I hope he pans out for the Flames (except against the Canucks, of course). But his mileage was a legitimate concern. Even this past season, touted as a "completely healthy" one for him, wasn't great: I believe he received an injury that was supposed to have him out 3-5 weeks right before the Covid-19 shutdown. That's a tough beat.

Looking forward to seeing what Schmidt can bring.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Umm what? We lost Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher and got Holtby and Schmidt. How has he shut anyone up when we are a much worse team.

I'd say Schmidt a massive upgrade on Tanev at this point in their careers, and Holtby (based on last season) is a massive downgrade on Markstrom. But hopeful that Holtby can rebound here, losing Stecher is negligible. Toffoli is a substantial loss, no argument there.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

This is the type of defenceman Canucks needed, Schmidt destroyed the Canucks in the playoffs with his first pass. He excels at doing controlled breakouts while majority of Tanev/Stecher/Edler/Myers would just dump the puck in and let the forecheckers attempt to retrieve the puck. Schmidt is going to change the nature of how Canucks breakout from the defensive zone.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
lmao, you are actually arguing that Tanev is better than the top 2 defenceman on a Stanley Cup contending team?

jfc, welcome to my ignore list.

What is going on: teams knew Vegas had to move salary to make room for Pietrangelo.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Umm what? We lost Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher and got Holtby and Schmidt. How has he shut anyone up when we are a much worse team.
Do you realize how much of an upgrade Schmidt is over Tanev?

With where we are in our development, there is no way they were signing Marky to a 6x6 deal with a nmc that is buyout proof. We still have a legit goaltending tandem with more flexibility.

stecher? He is very replaceable. We have 3 rookies that will fight for his role. Like it or not, you have to have room for your young guys.

Toffoli hurts, but the flat cap made him a rental.

the Canucks addressed their biggest need and gave up a third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->