Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Do you realize how much of an upgrade Schmidt is over Tanev?

With where we are in our development, there is no way they were signing Marky to a 6x6 deal with a nmc that is buyout proof. We still have a legit goaltending tandem with more flexibility.

stecher? He is very replaceable. We have 3 rookies that will fight for his role. Like it or not, you have to have room for your young guys.

Toffoli hurts, but the flat cap made him a rental.

the Canucks addressed their biggest need and gave up a third.
Again, Schmidt is not an upgrade on Tanev. And if he is, it is a marginal one at best.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd say Schmidt a massive upgrade on Tanev at this point in their careers, and Holtby (based on last season) is a massive downgrade on Markstrom. But hopeful that Holtby can rebound here, losing Stecher is negligible. Toffoli is a substantial loss, no argument there.

Losing Stecher is only negligible based on who the replacement is. Like, if we have a Pouliot or Larsen type player in his role, it's a pretty noticeable downgrade.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I agree. I just like the ability to potentially have Quinn and Schmidt on different pairings. Barring no other moves, Quinn and Nate should pair together next season.

They're definitely better suited to be on seperate pairs. Vancouver should use Hughes with Petterson as much as possible and let Schmidt and Horvat play the hard-match role.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Yup. Really, really loved Tanev. I would've been thrilled if he'd signed a 2 year deal at the cap hit he got. I hope he pans out for the Flames (except against the Canucks, of course). But his mileage was a legitimate concern. Even this past season, touted as a "completely healthy" one for him, wasn't great: I believe he received an injury that was supposed to have him out 3-5 weeks right before the Covid-19 shutdown. That's a tough beat.

Looking forward to seeing what Schmidt can bring.

Ankle,Hip,Knee,Groin,Food poisoning, Mumps,Broken finger,Broken thumb and multiple Upper/Lower and undisclosed injuries. I value consistency in players lol. I hear he's a character guy though, obvious by most of the replies by Canucks fans, I really hope he can get a decent amount of games in.

Good luck with Schmidt, sounds like he's a very good dman.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
So how much cap space do we have now? I imagine our next move is one to clear space to sign Virtanen and Gaudette.
Hope Canucks trade eriksson, sutter and virtanen for late pick to Ottawa or something

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I know they landed a superstar but this still feels wrong.

Nate Schmidt was there from Day 1 and a huge
figure in the community off the ice (and on of course) for the team. And they dumped him solely to fit in the big stud from a rival.

Oh well, at the end of the day Vegas got better, at least on paper
And Fleury says “well let me tell you my story.”

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->