Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Always around the net !! Boesers goal tnt was because Leivo was occupying Provorov in front of the net and screening the goalie.

Also, was Carcone a healthy scratch w. The Marlies tnt??

Reactions: F A N

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
For free?
Thats silly.

Hansen was given up for Goldobin.
And where is Hanson? Dont take it wrong loved his game but time catches up fast in the NHL and Hanson's is close to ending Benning did a decent job in that trade.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I feel like people are going to sour on him pretty quick. Just not a very good player overall, hence why he was dumped by the Leafs. Good players find ways to make even the deepest of rosters. We can’t be building our team with players not good enough to crack the top 9 of other teams. It doesn’t make any sense.
C'mon, only 2 to 3 current canucks players can crack leafs top 9. As I mentioned before, Leivo is a good ~40 pts winger. I found it funny that Jimbo did not give up a draft pick :popcorn:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Three goals in six games and has done some good work around the net to screen the goalie where he didn’t get points. What’s not to like so far?
I like his size as well which is something the team can use.
As for Leipsic looking good his first few games too, I don’t think that should have any bearing on Leivo. Although I do understand that we need a much bigger sample size.
Early days but so far so good. Vegas has shown that sometimes even player in their mid 20’s just need an opportunity. We will have to wait to see if Leivo is one of those or just on a hot streak. I doubt that he’s a top line guy long term but could be a useful third line type. We will see.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
there's no reason to limit him to "3rd line" status.

this guy has produced at a 15gl/30pt pace in his career in 4th line minutes with 4th line linemates.

no reason he shouldn't produce like a legit top 6 forward if given the chance.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Leivo and Eriksson are basically the same player. We soured on eriksson pretty quickly playing with pettersson, even though eriksson has mostly turned into a really good 3rd line player

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
C'mon, only 2 to 3 current canucks players can crack leafs top 9. As I mentioned before, Leivo is a good ~40 pts winger. I found it funny that Jimbo did not give up a draft pick :popcorn:

Come on 3 players hands down would make their team better, we have another 3 players that could make the team and or compete for a spot

Vancouver’s real issues are Defense, our roster isn’t full of AHLers, at least not on forward. *begins massive 30 pages Granlund debate*

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
And where is Hanson? Dont take it wrong loved his game but time catches up fast in the NHL and Hanson's is close to ending Benning did a decent job in that trade.
I’m not a fan of jim benning, but I think that was one of his better trades in my opinion. Even if we were to trade Goldobin he still has some value at this point. We might be able to get a second or a third for him. Personally I’d trade him at the deadline for a pick but that’s just me.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I still wish we kept him. Or at least have him a legitimate chance (then trade for decent value) rather than trading him for a bag of pucks...

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I still wish we kept him. Or at least have him a legitimate chance (then trade for decent value) rather than trading him for a bag of pucks...

Babcock never gave him a chance here..and was never going to, always had him with one foot out the door. If he valued Ennis, a replacement level, waiver-fodder type talent over him- there's no telling what Babs would have done with him in subsequent years, especially with arbirtration coming up.

At some point, you just got to let go and hope for the best for Leivo- Babs would have killed his hockey career here and earning potential. Careers are short, his circumstances would only get worst as well at his age.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Enjoying having Leivo on the team. Never looks out of place. Always in the mix for goals.

So far this is looking like a heck of a trade.
It would be more accurate to say Dubas did Lievo a favor(and Babcock) because Josh was never going to get a chance to gel with the top offensive guys on the Leafs. Plenty of fans knew it. Good for Josh!

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Did not read the whole thread, though noticed some TO fans. Please excuse if this has been discussed.

Do you think Gagner to Marlins played some role on Leivo to Van?

I tend to think yes. Whether it is as little as ‘I liked dealing with this GM’ or some unwritten future considerations or ‘favor’, I think Benning was probably the first call. Helps we had room for Leivo in a top 6 role as well no doubt.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Enjoying having Leivo on the team. Never looks out of place. Always in the mix for goals.

So far this is looking like a heck of a trade.
Good on Benning for taking the initiative to call the Leafs GM when Nylander was coming back on the Leafs roster.

Reactions: sting101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If reports are to be believed, Benning and the Canucks have had their eye on Leivo for awhile. So I doubt the trade was the result of some random call by Jimbo when Nylander returned.

But of course earlier reports had the Canucks "being interested in Pouliot for quite awhile" before they finally traded for him. Sometimes 'guys you have your eye on" work out....sometimes they don't. Still early for Leivo. But even if he plateaus and is stationed on the third-fourth lines, there's always a place in your lineup for a guy his size with some decent skating skills.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If reports are to be believed, Benning and the Canucks have had their eye on Leivo for awhile. So I doubt the trade was the result of some random call by Jimbo when Nylander returned.

But of course earlier reports had the Canucks "being interested in Pouliot for quite awhile" before they finally traded for him. Sometimes 'guys you have your eye on" work out....sometimes they don't. Still early for Leivo. But even if he plateaus and is stationed on the third-fourth lines, there's always a place in your lineup for a guy his size with some decent skating skills.
Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun
FollowFollow @PierreVLeBrun
More
Leivo trade wasn’t long in the making from a Vancouver perspective. GM Jim Benning phoned Kyle Dubas this morning for the first time asking about Leivo and it got done rather quickly. Leivo should get a shot in the top 6 in Van. Could be a nice pickup
10:09 AM - 3 Dec 2018

PITB..Van Courier
It was reported that Jim Benning made the first move, contacting Kyle Dubas, GM of the Leafs, on Monday morning to inquire about Leivo. It’s a savvy move that seems to be a win-win-win scenario, with the Canucks, Leafs, and Leivo himself all getting something out of the move.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Come on 3 players hands down would make their team better, we have another 3 players that could make the team and or compete for a spot

Vancouver’s real issues are Defense, our roster isn’t full of AHLers, at least not on forward. *begins massive 30 pages Granlund debate*
haha, take off your homer glasses. Do you know who are the Leafs Top 9?

Anyway, I still do not understand what fans are complaining about:popcorn:, a lotto max ticket for a $5000 winning scratchcard.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
haha, take off your homer glasses. Do you know who are the Leafs Top 9?

Anyway, I still do not understand what fans are complaining about:popcorn:, a lotto max ticket for a $5000 winning scratchcard.

I don't like the philosophy of a rebuilding team trading prospects for old players. I don't really care if the player has some short term utility or if the prospect is a longshot.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Did not read the whole thread, though noticed some TO fans. Please excuse if this has been discussed.

Do you think Gagner to Marlins played some role on Leivo to Van?

I tend to think yes. Whether it is as little as ‘I liked dealing with this GM’ or some unwritten future considerations or ‘favor’, I think Benning was probably the first call. Helps we had room for Leivo in a top 6 role as well no doubt.

It's great he's working out for us early on but probably not as these types of players aren't exactly hot commodities around the league. Including Leipsic there's been 4-5 players like this claimed off waivers over the past month. It's very likely that we're the only team who asked about him.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I don't like the philosophy of a rebuilding team trading prospects for old players. I don't really care if the player has some short term utility or if the prospect is a longshot.

I'm sorry, but didn't you propose trying to reinforce our blue line by doing just that? And you have given me heck for being too optimistic about prospects. (Woo for example) Carcone has done nothing suggesting he will be NHL level.

This was not a bad deal for VCR, and could turn out to be a decent one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm sorry, but didn't you propose trying to reinforce our blue line by doing just that? And you have given me heck for being too optimistic about prospects. (Woo for example) Carcone has done nothing suggesting he will be NHL level.

Not sure what your agenda on here is, but you are starting to look like a troll all the time.

This was not a bad deal for VCR, and could turn out to be a decent one.

I would not ever suggest we "reinforce our blueline" by trading prospects for older players. I really don't know where all these personal attacks are coming from today but most of this post is off-topic and out of line.

Just because I am consistently against trading picks+prospects for older players and apply this standard consistently to all such transactions (of which we have made a lot,) doesn't mean that I have some "agenda" beyond the stated one of ... not wanting to trade picks+prospects for older players.

If we actually make a trade where we get a pick or a prospect I am sure you will see me happy about it but we basically never do this.

"Every time the team does the same thing you complain about it; you obviously have some kind of agenda against that thing they do that you don't like. Troll!"

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Liked the idea of the acquisition but doesn't seem like he can make plays. Has some good qualities like shooting, tips, screens, strength but overall is probably hurting his line possession-wise. Would bump him down for Goldobin or Baertschi when he comes back.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Seeing as how his skating stil seems to be a bit suspect at times, if Leivo sticks around a for a bit perhaps he should see that skating coach Bo used? Any little bit of improvement in mobility could pay off considering he seems pretty strong in other areas of his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad