Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I guess a positive from his game is that he's scoring (3 points 4 games)
Can't really make judgement of a player when he's getting sheltered as hard as he is. A player his age shouldn't need to only start in the offensive zone or neutral zone (he doesn't have a single defensive zone start).
To make a real judgement on him we will need to see him without Boeser/Pettersson or keep producing.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His shot to score on his 2nd shift was a world class laser.

Other than that ....... ehhhhhhhh so far.

Picked up some points tonight but they were lucky bounces and he was by and large very ineffective.

Does seem to win a lot of board battles in the offensive zone to hold possession. Doesn’t seem to be a great passer of the puck and hasn’t forged much chemistry with his linemates. Tends to get caught standing still in his own zone/neutral zone and have the play catch him and pass him due to his clunky first step.

Is getting a dream look here with all o-zone starts next to Boeser and Pettersson. If he can’t produce from this ... he never will.

So far he’s been interesting and I’ll take him on the roster over Leipsic.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
His shot to score on his 2nd shift was a world class laser.

Other than that ....... ehhhhhhhh so far.

Picked up some points tonight but they were lucky bounces and he was by and large very ineffective.

Does seem to win a lot of board battles in the offensive zone to hold possession. Doesn’t seem to be a great passer of the puck and hasn’t forged much chemistry with his linemates. Tends to get caught standing still in his own zone/neutral zone and have the play catch him and pass him due to his clunky first step.

Is getting a dream look here with all o-zone starts next to Boeser and Pettersson. If he can’t produce from this ... he never will.

So far he’s been interesting and I’ll take him on the roster over Leipsic.
He had the same issue last couple years too. It seems that he was trying to read the play :popcorn:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would say that if he had a good shot and knows how to use it (which seems true) and that was coupled with the other things in your post that then you have a guy who finds his way to more ice time on his previous team. That’s a complete player. A player every coach loves. But he didn’t. I don’t think that’s something that can be simply glossed over with “coach didn’t like him or too much depth”. History would suggest something else. But let’s see what happens.

Given that Leivo played for the Leafs he is not an unknown player. His usage has been well covered and well discussed. My recollection is that there were plenty of support among the Leaf fan base that he deserved a greater chance than what Babcock gave him. I don't think that's something that can be simply glossed over.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He was only on the roster for 3 years, but yea he was never given a chance, not once :rolleyes: lol

Actually he was on the roster for 6yrs, and totalled 84gms, averging 10:45 per game. Not once did he get a sustained opportunity on a scoring line - even though he produced a bunch in a couple of injury fill in stints. Overall as a Leaf he produced as a 15gl/30pt type guy despite only getting 4th line minutes and 4th line linemates. Pretty easy to see that turning into 20/50 with top-6 usage.

Reactions: mossey3535 and KapG

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I guess a positive from his game is that he's scoring (3 points 4 games)
Can't really make judgement of a player when he's getting sheltered as hard as he is. A player his age shouldn't need to only start in the offensive zone or neutral zone (he doesn't have a single defensive zone start).
To make a real judgement on him we will need to see him without Boeser/Pettersson or keep producing.

well, he's not really being sheltered.

corsica adjusts for zone usage, so you don't have to worry about zone deployment - and he's getting top-line quality of competition, so there's no sheltering at all when it comes to who he's playing against.

Even Strength

Leivo: 4gms, 12:42 (A qoc), 3.54p/60 (3.54p1), 54.8cf% (+11.2), 70.8xgf% (+26.4rel)

Dammit, Babcock.

Reactions: mossey3535

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He's been fine -- about all I can say. I guess I'll take it as a positive for our management taking advantage of a team tight-pressed for roster space and realizing that they probably shouldn't consistently have the same players in the lineup.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I would say that if he had a good shot and knows how to use it (which seems true) and that was coupled with the other things in your post that then you have a guy who finds his way to more ice time on his previous team. That’s a complete player. A player every coach loves. But he didn’t. I don’t think that’s something that can be simply glossed over with “coach didn’t like him or too much depth”. History would suggest something else. But let’s see what happens.
Babcock does not like his "standing still" habit

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah because "standing still" in their own zone isn't a problem for this group....

If standing still in your own zone was actually a priority then half this roster shouldn't be playing.

Babcock is human and has dumb biases like every other coach. I think we profited from his discrimination in this case.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
For example, the number of times I've seen Gardiner simply not paying attention in his own zone is ridiculous.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
His board play to hold possession on the offensive zone is all he needs to do so Pettersson/Boeser can work their magic.

Yeah, in a cap world, if you can get a bottom 6 forward to work (for low cap hit) with a couple of 1st liners, that might be the winning combination. Thinking of the Pens first three lines when they won the back-to-back cups.

OTOH, in regular season would like to see Pettersson surrounded with as much talent as possible, there are some records that need breaking.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Looking really good so far. Like his strength on the puck and his hands and shot allow him to play top6. Will probably always be the 3rd guy on his line but as a cheap aquisition this is a substantial upgrade to the winger depth on this team

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
He certainly seems to be a fit on the top line, it will be interesting to see how the team looks when Baertschi returns. Would like Virtanen to stay with Horvat and Baertschi, with Roussell / Sutter / Motte as the third line.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
He certainly seems to be a fit on the top line, it will be interesting to see how the team looks when Baertschi returns. Would like Virtanen to stay with Horvat and Baertschi, with Roussell / Sutter / Motte as the third line.
That leaves Goldobin in the press box then which I don't see happening. With Goldy being able to play both wings I see it like this:

Leivo-EP40-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin
Rousell-Sutter-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Grnalund/Eriksson

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
well, he's not really being sheltered.

corsica adjusts for zone usage, so you don't have to worry about zone deployment - and he's getting top-line quality of competition, so there's no sheltering at all when it comes to who he's playing against.

Even Strength

Leivo: 4gms, 12:42 (A qoc), 3.54p/60 (3.54p1), 54.8cf% (+11.2), 70.8xgf% (+26.4rel)

Dammit, Babcock.

For the Canucks he hasn't started a shift in the defensive zone in 4 games.
That's sheltering, 100%.
Also, he is playing with Pettersson so by extension you are really not going to be put in defensive situations.

So for him to be justified to be put on Pettersson's side he'll need to put up points. If he is away from Pettersson he'll need to be good both ways.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
For the price we paid for him he is just fine. He is a useful player. Whether or not he is top line player quality is quite another matter.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
A win is a win is a win. If you trade a Hunter Shinkaruk (nothing) for something, even if it is just a guy who will be somewhat more useful for you then guess what, it is managing your assets better.

It's the same in this case. I think we won the minute the deal was made. Not that we got the next NHL hidden gem like some Leafs fans think, but we won. I mean how many times have you seen on this board that we traded a guy, or let a guy go and our fans were saying how we were so dumb and they didn't do a single thing after. There are not many times those people were right.

Reactions: elwin316

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
A win is a win is a win. If you trade a Hunter Shinkaruk (nothing) for something, even if it is just a guy who will be somewhat more useful for you then guess what, it is managing your assets better.
Sometimes though it's better to take the chance that an unscratched scratch ticket will yield something more useful than a bottom six winger (which you can often get for free off of waivers). Sure, if you're playing the odds, most picks in the 2nd round & beyond will yield nothing but that doesn't mean you should trade them all away for marginal players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad