Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I was critical of the Motte trade at the time as well, but I can live with it now. I actually like him in our bottom 6.

Motte has really grown on me. He’s a guy you can tell he 100 percent knows his role. He gives it every night and is blazing fast. And on pace for 12 goals .. what more do you want from your 4th liners ?

Big fan

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not that I disagree, but it's weird seeing this after @Pastor Of Muppetz said that Gaunce was the wrong side of 25... but with Leivo.. he is still considered young.
I don't see why different people saying different things would be weird or contradictory. It's not like Pastor of Muppetz has any authority on the matter.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I really don’t get why the Leafs traded Leivo, and signed Nylander. They kind of need a Leivo type player way more than a ?Nylander’s type plater, don’t they?
If you figure it out let me know.
Many of us were saying the same thing about committing half the Cap to 4 forwards.
You need balance on the team with money for forward depth plus D. Paying 3 forwards the money was good with a trade adding a D plus another solid, aggressive forechecker with decent skill.

It is what it is and many over there don’t like to hear it. No we will see how it plays out come playoff time + moving forward.

Anyway, hope Leivo does well, always liked him and the Canucks are the West team I like to see do well. So I’m glad he went there and not Edmonton or something.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I really don’t get why the Leafs traded Leivo, and signed Nylander. They kind of need a Leivo type player way more than a ?Nylander’s type plater, don’t they?
You are right; Leafs was fine when Nylander was sitting out over money. I believe that Leafs don't really want to trade either Nylander or Leivo this year (Leafs believe this is their year :rolleyes:). However, Leivo would never crack the Top9 after Nylander was back.

Leivo: 9gp - 4g - 1a - 5p

Nylander: 7gp - 0g - 2a - 2p

Obviously a tiny sample size and nobody should expect Leivo to be a 0.5ppg player or Nylander a 0.25ppg player long term but it made me smile.
I believe Leivo is a low to mid 40's pts winger.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You are right; Leafs was fine when Nylander was sitting out over money. I believe that Leafs don't really want to trade either Nylander or Leivo this year (Leafs believe this is their year :rolleyes:). However, Leivo would never crack the Top9 after Nylander was back.

Leivo brings hard nosed, straight line hockey, and passion that Nylander doesn’t. The Leafs don’t need Nylander as much as Leivo. Leafs should trade Nylander for a guy like Ferland.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Obviously a tiny sample size and nobody should expect Leivo to be a 0.5ppg player or Nylander a 0.25ppg player long term but it made me smile.

Nylander hasn’t played competitive hockey in half a year and is coming in after a very public contract dispute, it’s unsurprising that he’s been bad.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I'm all for marking both Leivo and the trade itself down as "awesome" but this comparison is cringe-worthy.
:facepalm:

Reactions: MS and WetcoastOrca

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Reminds me a bit of Taylor Pyatt back in the day when he was playing with the Sedins. Big guy, good shot, decent around the boards, in the corner, and in front of the net. Not great with the puck on his stick, and doesn't have big-time hockey sense, but can hold his own on the top-line to support two skilled players.

The difference between a guy like Burrows who sticks their long-term and a guy like him is their hockey sense + passing abilities. I think long-term you'll see him in a third-line role where he steps up into the top 6 when there are injuries. Given what we gave up for him, happy with the returns so far.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm all for marking both Leivo and the trade itself down as "awesome" but this comparison is cringe-worthy.
:facepalm:

Was comment about the small sample size, no expectation of this being the new normal for either player and only posting it because it made me smile not enough of a qualifying statement for you?

I guess making fun of other posters for enjoying the little things once in a while gets you off, so enjoy your kicks. I'll keep smiling about little oddities and enjoying how it triggers people like yourself.

Reactions: tmac51 and lousy

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nylander hasn’t played competitive hockey in half a year and is coming in after a very public contract dispute, it’s unsurprising that he’s been bad.

Where did I make any judgment about Nylander's play in my post? I made a humorous comparison and outright stated that I expect Nylander to improve and Leivo to regress. Or does the sentence I wrote not state that it's a tiny sample size, that I don't expect either player to score at the rate I noted, and that I posted it because I found it amusing?

-----

If he can be a 20/20 guy that allows our skill players to have positive possession numbers and a little extra space I'm sold.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Was comment about the small sample size, no expectation of this being the new normal for either player and only posting it because it made me smile not enough of a qualifying statement for you?

I guess making fun of other posters for enjoying the little things once in a while gets you off, so enjoy your kicks. I'll keep smiling about little oddities and enjoying how it triggers people like yourself.

sure bud, whatever floats your boat.
:thumbu:

Reactions: Norade

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Leivo has been an addition to the lineup. A good one? I wouldn't go that far. Maybe a better one than other options, however, that just tells you about the dead weight on the roster more than anything. For the bulk of teams around the league Leivo is also waiver wire material.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Levio was inconsistent with the Leafs, Babcock said many times Levio has to learn to play hard every game. Leafs have about 5 forward prospects possibly ready to play in the NHL next season. Lots of inner competition in the org

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Leivo has been an addition to the lineup. A good one? I wouldn't go that far. Maybe a better one than other options, however, that just tells you about the dead weight on the roster more than anything. For the bulk of teams around the league Leivo is also waiver wire material.

Interesting how many waiver wire types that Benning has traded for instead of waiting to claim. I know there was a fear that someone else might have claimed them first, but when counting up the number of annual waived players and being in line where Vancouver has been, it would have allowed him to pick up a lot of guys without having lost anything in the process. So, the guys he traded would still be around and if he still wanted to dump them, there would be MORE to gain. He could also have waived some of his own for assignment to the farm. Also, those he traded from the farm could have been left alone until the off-season, thereby allowing both clubs a better chance to prosper. It's called forward thinking.

HE"S DONE IT AGAIN, traded for a player the Senators waived yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Levio was inconsistent with the Leafs, Babcock said many times Levio has to learn to play hard every game. Leafs have about 5 forward prospects possibly ready to play in the NHL next season. Lots of inner competition in the org

That's kind of wishful thinking no? 5 forward prospects ready to play in the NHL next season?

Anyways, Leivo is the type of addition a team like the Canucks should be making. He's been good to decent so far. His future (if any) is probably on the bottom 6 and so far he hasn't really been used in a defensive capacity to gauge how he would play when not given offensive opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad