Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't like the philosophy of a rebuilding team trading prospects for old players. I don't really care if the player has some short term utility or if the prospect is a longshot.

That's fair, but Leivo isn't an old player. He's 25.

Liked the idea of the acquisition but doesn't seem like he can make plays. Has some good qualities like shooting, tips, screens, strength but overall is probably hurting his line possession-wise. Would bump him down for Goldobin or Baertschi when he comes back.

Leivo has historically been a positive possession player in the NHL. If you're worried about possession numbers, he's a better option than Goldobin and Baertschi.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Did not read the whole thread, though noticed some TO fans. Please excuse if this has been discussed.

Do you think Gagner to Marlins played some role on Leivo to Van?

I tend to think yes. Whether it is as little as ‘I liked dealing with this GM’ or some unwritten future considerations or ‘favor’, I think Benning was probably the first call. Helps we had room for Leivo in a top 6 role as well no doubt.
No Not at all. Dubas promised Leivo he would trade him to a team where he could get more minutes if he wasn't a fit in toronto.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No Not at all. Dubas promised Leivo he would trade him to a team where he could get more minutes if he wasn't a fit in toronto.
I think you’re right, but so is the poster you’re replying to. Dubass made that promise to Leivo, and had a previous connection with JB due to the Gagner situation. That added up to Leivo coming here. I see Leivo as only a placeholder in our lineup, much like he was in TO.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Leivo playing exactly how I expected him too. His game is a mixed bag, nothing special overall, but still a better option than most of the other junk in this team's forward group. Wouldn't exactly call it a 'coup' like many seem to be claiming. Maybe you could call it a Jim Benning coup, when the trade is a win but only by the thinnest of possible margins, but since it's on Benning's record it gets twisted as a massive heist.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leivo, Motte and Goldy....I'm almost prepared to forgive Benning for the Kesler, Gudbranson and Sutter trades. In fact even those wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't also coughed up so many draft picks.

It could be they're getting better at assessing other team's rosters. Baertschi a decent pickup; but Pedan and Pouliot look like busts, although they unloaded Pedan in the Pouliot trade anyway.

It's just too bad they couldn't hit on a d-man using the same 'value investing' on the trade market.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Nearly 50% more ice time with 100% better linemates should definitely improve your performance and points.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
... Wouldn't exactly call it a 'coup' like many seem to be claiming. Maybe you could call it a Jim Benning coup, when the trade is a win but only by the thinnest of possible margins, but since it's on Benning's record it gets twisted as a massive heist.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about - but I don't know what you're talking about.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Josh Leivo is basically Kole Lind if he was to fully develop.

Small steps in the right direction for this team. Looking like a quality addition that can move up and down the lineup. Needs to move his feet a bit more but is extremely dangerous around the net and really like his size and reach and what that adds to the overall size improvement and ability to play against heavier teams.

Gagner - Leivo
Leipsic - Roussel
Jokinen - Motte
Dowd - Beagle

are some massive improvements in our ability to compete in physical battles

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
That backhand saucer pass he made against the Blues was shades of Henrik Sedin. He's definitely got some surprising hands. Reminds me of Taylor Pyatt a bit.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That backhand saucer pass he made against the Blues was shades of Henrik Sedin. He's definitely got some surprising hands. Reminds me of Taylor Pyatt a bit.
Hahahaha
I was literally thinking yesterday he reminded me of Taylor pyatt.
So odd haha

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That's fair, but Leivo isn't an old player. He's 25.

Leivo has historically been a positive possession player in the NHL. If you're worried about possession numbers, he's a better option than Goldobin and Baertschi.

Good deal by Benning. Leivo is a useful piece and is still relatively young at 25

Not that I disagree, but it's weird seeing this after @Pastor Of Muppetz said that Gaunce was the wrong side of 25... but with Leivo.. he is still considered young.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Question:
Is his name pronounced Leivo as in "leave me alone", or is it Leivo as in "you are watching live coverage"?

I've heard both.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm definitely enjoying the roster upgrade of adding him and bouncing out Schaller.

Schaller-Horvat-X was so cringe worthy to watch...
It's just too bad Jimbo couldn't confine himself to trades like Leivo, Motte and Goldy, instead of splurging on UFA's like Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto and Schaller. He should just turn off his phone on July 1st and take a vacation.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think Leivo has been decent here so far but I also think he has more to give. He already has a level of poise and ability to read the play that we wish Jakey had, and indeed most of the forward group outside of the usual suspects like EP and Bo.

Definitely with extended watching you can see where he gets in trouble standing around a little in his own end (a problem with many others on this team) but he tries and it is more of a 25% thing than a 75% thing. Also, he needs to work on his first couple strides - from that standing start it is painful watching him get up to speed. Once he's up to speed he's fine.

Wins a lot of board battles but with no acceleration he often tries to get to where he knows the puck will be but is too late. But at least his level of battle and tenacity is high, and that's why I think he works with EP since Boeser is a floater about 60% of the time (this season), so EP needs an effort guy on the other wing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad