Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Canucks acquire F Sam Lafferty for 2024 5th Round Pick

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Trading Jared McCann & a high 2nd round pick for NoGoodBranSuck.

/end of thread
You've made my point. A colossally bad move that had way more to do poor development (McCann) and poor pro-scouting (Gudbranson) than anything else.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
For those wondering, a simple recap of the age gap project from previous management:

Out: Forsling, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 4th, Hansen, Burrows, 5th, 6th (and Jensen).

In: Clendening, Vey, Baertschi, Pedan, Pouliot, Bowey and 5th, Goldobin and a 4th, Dahlen (then Karlsson), Larsen, Etem.

We rarely hit on any with the Benning regime; I can only think of Dowd for Subban, who we promptly ditched.
Motte (and Jokinen) for Vanek was another small win for Benning but even a guy with missing fingers can still count on one hand the number of Benning deals that actually helped the team.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
and all the picks they traded previously was what?
or is that too difficult for you to grasp?
Lack of depth is a consequence of us trading away 1st and 2nd rounders. 5th rounder doesn’t really do anything aside from adding an additional line item to the list of prospects.

Making good bets on college or unsigned FAs has better odds to refill the cupboard than holding on to these lower round picks.

Reactions: MarkMM

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You've made my point. A colossally bad move that had way more to do poor development (McCann) and poor pro-scouting (Gudbranson) than anything else.

I don't think that you can say it was those more than anything else. It was a bad idea guided by a bad plan spawned from a poor grasp of where the team was at and just general poor understanding period, that bad idea was then executed poorly, and then they later doubled down on the whole thing which demonstrates that the problem was much deeper than just development or pro-scouting.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Indicates just the level of how bad the pro scouting was. As good as JT Miller has and will be for us doesn't change that (eg., Keenan dealing Linden for essentially Bertuzzi, McCabe and Ruutu doesn't change what an ahole he was)

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
and all the picks they traded previously was what?
or is that too difficult for you to grasp?
No reason to be smarmy. I didn’t comment on previous trades. I think you getting all wound up about trading a 5th for Lafferty is amusing though.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I’ll gladly eat crow.
Dudes been crazy good.
View attachment 762690
He has been good.

You can get good 4th liners every summer without spending draft capital. This was the entire point I was making at the time.

I still love the circular logic that 5th rounders are worthless but can also bring a player worth something in a trade.

People should think of draft picks as cash in hand of the NHL.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He has been good.

You can get good 4th liners every summer without spending draft capital. This was the entire point I was making at the time.

I still love the circular logic that 5th rounders are worthless but can also bring a player worth something in a trade.

People should think of draft picks as cash in hand of the NHL.

You're ignoring the timing of the trade. Blueger was injured right before, and remains out, so at the time the Canucks couldn't acquire a replacement without giving up something of substance. Using a later-round pick to solve that problem is kind of the best use of the pick.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You're ignoring the timing of the trade. Blueger was injured right before, and remains out, so at the time the Canucks couldn't acquire a replacement without giving up something of substance. Using a later-round pick to solve that problem is kind of the best use of the pick.
Ah you are correct.

Reactions: Vector

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Benning acquired Cracknell for free at league minimum.

Also acquired PDG, at league minimum.

Hopefully Ruthervin can do as well as Benning next time*.

For the future's sake.

* oh wait, they already did with Friedman. I guess the bar Benning left buried in the ground was not that high of a hurdle

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning acquired Cracknell for free at league minimum.

Also acquired PDG, at league minimum.

Hopefully Ruthervin can do as well as Benning next time*.

For the future's sake.

* oh wait, they already did with Friedman. I guess the bar Benning left buried in the ground was not that high of a hurdle
Alvin remembers to do a courtesy flush in the executive washroom. He's already exceeded the bar set by Jim "wears 'depends'" Benning.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't think that you can say it was those more than anything else. It was a bad idea guided by a bad plan spawned from a poor grasp of where the team was at and just general poor understanding period, that bad idea was then executed poorly, and then they later doubled down on the whole thing which demonstrates that the problem was much deeper than just development or pro-scouting.
I don’t disagree. I think you’ve outlined the underlying reasons for the poor pro scouting and poor development.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I bumped this thread yesterday on the trade for Sam Lafferty ...any thoughts..?
I think Treliving really screwed up here and we took advantage of that screw up. Very surprised TO was even considering putting Lafferty on waivers even though we all know that TO is in cap trouble and a bunch of guys were going to go on waivers. Lafferty also seems like a Treliving "player" with his versatility & speed but I guess every GM is the smartest guy in the room and his most resent UFA signing in Reaves is able to do that job for the next 3 seasons....oops, that's not looking too good.

Good on our management to recognize that Lafferty is a player that we can definitely use & probably would not have made it to us on the waiver wire.

This is a good trade and thanks again TO

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
To be fair to Jim Benning, the scouting (amateur & pro) has always been mixed at best throughout the entire existance of the franchise prior to his arrival.

one of the weird things about benning is how he did not go after what he presumably knew from his past life as a scout as aggressively as you'd expect. allvin has been all over former pens with lafferty, blueger, desmith, cole and friedman. i don't think benning signed a single guy he knew from the bruins did he?

in making his key moves chasing a retool benning seems to have been in synch with the existing pro-scouting group that had pursued both sutter and gudbranson when gillis was gm. i wonder if what in fact happened in that era was decisions by committee involving benning, linden, aquaman and the pro-scouts.

Pro scouting under Gillis was good
for the love of god do we have to do that shit again? you know many people disagree with you, so why say it like that?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
one of the weird things about benning is how he did not go after what he presumably knew from his past life as a scout as aggressively as you'd expect. allvin has been all over former pens with lafferty, blueger, desmith, cole and friedman. i don't think benning signed a single guy he knew from the bruins did he?

in making his key moves chasing a retool benning seems to have been in synch with the existing pro-scouting group that had pursued both sutter and gudbranson when gillis was gm. i wonder if what in fact happened in that era was decisions by committee involving benning, linden, aquaman and the pro-scouts.

for the love of god do we have to do that shit again? you know many people disagree with you, so why say it like that?
Uhhh because it’s true?
I am not arguing about amateur scouting..

The only people who argue Gillis’ pro scouting sucks are the Benning bros.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

He brought Bartkowski over. His main thing was getting a bunch of players belonging to previous coaches (Larsen, Etem, Vey, Baertschi, Pouliot, Dorsett)

Reactions: krutovsdonut

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He brought Bartkowski over. His main thing was getting a bunch of players belonging to previous coaches (Larsen, Etem, Vey, Baertschi, Pouliot, Dorsett)
Granlund was the Wisebrod thing too and they shove insane of minutes into that ass player to try to prove they were right about him.

BrendanGaunce4Selke

Oct 11, 2023
Uhhh because it’s true?
I am not arguing about amateur scouting..

The only people who argue Gillis’ pro scouting sucks are the Benning bros.
i went back to look at his trade history

i swear he did have some bad ones, which he did but my god, its like night and day compared to benning

Reactions: vanuck and arttk

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Spooner as well. Also was after Lucic through trade and free agency, but was LA beat our off offer and Lucic signed in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad