Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Canucks acquire F Sam Lafferty for 2024 5th Round Pick

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well I never loved him or Torres. I thought they were both filthy players. As Isaid Stevens would fight all comers and he was probably a top 10 to 15 fighter in the league in addition to scoring 40-50 points and being a top 15 D man of all time. Nobody called him a turtle. I’m objective as a fan. I hate Cooke. I disliked Raffi but he only played one season. These assholes played to injure their NHLPA brothers.

If Stevens would have played 5 more years, the hits he threw would have made him a villain.

I'm obviously not saying that they're the same, but the stuff you're talking about? If you were actually saying it before 2007 then you were pretty much the only guy in Vancouver doing it. He was viewed no differently than Burrows a few years later - an agitator that fans here absolutely loved.

I posted here for almost all of his Canuck career and 'Canuck fans angry that Cooke is a dirty player' simply was not a thing. He was one of the team's most popular players.

Reactions: Hit the post

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
My memory of Cooke was that he was a remarkably clean hitter, especially for a guy who was throwing 250+ hits a year. He may have gotten more charging penalties today, but his approach was not out of the ordinary at the time.

He did have some dirty plays but the game was dirtier back then, and it’s not like was Ulf Samuelsson or Bryan Marchment.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
If Stevens would have played 5 more years, the hits he threw would have made him a villain.

I'm obviously not saying that they're the same, but the stuff you're talking about? If you were actually saying it before 2007 then you were pretty much the only guy in Vancouver doing it. He was viewed no differently than Burrows a few years later - an agitator that fans here absolutely loved.

I posted here for almost all of his Canuck career and 'Canuck fans angry that Cooke is a dirty player' simply was not a thing. He was one of the team's most popular players.
Agree to disagree. I as never a fan of his or Raffi’s hits to obliterate someone. No need to derail a Sam Lafferty thread any further. He has been a solid pickup for a 5th round pick despite some folks temper tantrums

Fully healthy:
Miky Petey Kuz
PDG JT Brock
Beau Blueger Garland
Joshua Suter Lafferty

Hoggy- Studs/ that is depth finally

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I'm not sure why this thread has suddenly shifted its focus to Cooke and Torres. I personally enjoyed their physical style of play, and while they certainly did make some dangerous dirty plays, some of those so-called dirty plays can be attributed to their commitment to finishing checks even on vulnerable players with their heads down, much like Raffi's hit on Eberle.

The line between clean hits and dirty plays can often appear quite blurred, and the NHL's disciplinary decisions have indeed seemed somewhat arbitrary at times. For instance, many of Kronwall's hits on unsuspecting players were just as risky, yet they were considered clean plays. Even when he was suspended once, that suspension was a subject of debate.

When it comes to players played around that line, I'm surprised that Jarkko Ruutu's name hasn't come up in this discussion. His encounter with Phaneuf remains one of my favorite moments, and I wish we had a player like him on our team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm not sure why this thread has suddenly shifted its focus to Cooke and Torres. I personally enjoyed their physical style of play, and while they certainly did make some dangerous dirty plays, some of those so-called dirty plays can be attributed to their commitment to finishing checks even on vulnerable players with their heads down, much like Raffi's hit on Eberle.

The line between clean hits and dirty plays can often appear quite blurred, and the NHL's disciplinary decisions have indeed seemed somewhat arbitrary at times. For instance, many of Kronwall's hits on unsuspecting players were just as risky, yet they were considered clean plays. Even when he was suspended once, that suspension was a subject of debate.

When it comes to players played around that line, I'm surprised that Jarkko Ruutu's name hasn't come up in this discussion. His encounter with Phaneuf remains one of my favorite moments, and I wish we had a player like him on our team.
Another win from our European amateur scouts. No, they made their fair share of bad judgements but compared to the rest of the Canucks amateur scouting staff (with the exception of our US scouts), seem like God-like in their evaluations.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Another win from our European amateur scouts. No, they made their fair share of bad judgements but compared to the rest of the Canucks amateur scouting staff (with the exception of our US scouts), seem like God-like in their evaluations.
The Canucks have a track record of success with their relatively less-heralded older siblings, especially when contrasted with their younger brothers: Ruutu and Hughes. Obviously, their degree of success varies significantly.

With optimism, Celebrini, may one day can be the next one on that list.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The Canucks have a track record of success with their relatively less-heralded older siblings, especially when contrasted with their younger brothers: Ruutu and Hughes. Obviously, their degree of success varies significantly.

With optimism, Celebrini, may one day can be the next one on that list.
The hilarious thing was Jethro Bodine pumping Ron Delorme's tires on the drafting of Elias. Like that nepotism hire who sees worse than Stevie Wonder should be given credit for that. cough-cough Brendan Gallagher (to name just one guy right in our backyard that some amateur scout apparently was in Sweden at the time).

Reactions: I am toxic

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Stevens basically ended Kariya and Lindros' career, 2 of the bigger talents in the league with blindside head hits. Dude is a f***ing villain, really sad that era allowed that type of hits.

Reactions: TomWillander1RD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad