Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Canucks acquire F Sam Lafferty for 2024 5th Round Pick

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Forsling wasn't just some middling nobody who flukily an unexpectedly turned into a good player down the road.

He was a 5th round pick but in the 7 months between that point and when he was traded he was tracking as THE steal of that draft. Was immediately playing big minutes in the SHL and absolutely blew apart the 2015 WJC as the top defender and leading defensive scorer. At the point where he was traded, he might have gone in the first round in a re-draft.

Everyone here was massively excited about him at that point and it was devastating when he was dealt for some bum who quite obviously right from Day 1 couldn't skate at the required level. It was like finding a $100 bill and then spending it on a pile of dog poo.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Forsling spent 3 years in the Chicago organization (mostly in the AHL), and was then traded to Carolina for a season (didnt play a single game for the Canes), where he was then placed on waivers...Practically had one foot out of the league.

He was found gold for Florida...Its a good story..but it rarely happens this way.

Even if the Canucks hadn't traded him, he probably would have had a stalled development here.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The weird thing about Forsling is that Chicago then traded him for peanuts as well to Florida.
But that doesn’t change the fact that Benning traded him away for nothing after drafting him just a short time earlier.
Chicago traded Forsling in a regular ordinary deadline deal while making the playoffs. Benning did a prospect swap trade for a guy he problem scouted and liked 5 years ago only to determine several months later he didn't have NHL speed and immediately dumped him in the Sutter trade.

While he took a while what Forsling was is another smash scouting success for Thomas Gradin, in the same mold as Alex Edler. What I'd like to point out is how 'drafting guru/talent whisper' Jim Benning got confirmation on for his drafting prowess for a good while from that draft with Forsling being a big part of it, but if you read between the lines and especially in hindsight he had barely anything to do with it and put little stock in Gradin's pick. Delorme's pick Mackenze Stewart on the other hand, now that's who Benning loved signing him to an above minimum wage ELC the next summer and pushed him to start on Utica's roster.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Forsling spent 3 years in the Chicago organization (mostly in the AHL), and was then traded to Carolina for a season (didnt play a single game for the Canes), where he was then placed on waivers...Practically had one foot out of the league.

He was found gold for Florida...Its a good story..but it rarely happens this way.

Even if the Canucks hadn't traded him, he probably would have had a stalled development here.
What ended up happening with Forsling is pretty irrelevant though. Every prospect that has a massive D+1 season like he did is still fighting an uphill battle to even become an NHL regular. The problem was dealing him for Clendening, who similarly had a massive D+1 season but was at that point in his D+4 season and the pro scouting should've been able to tell that the warts weren't going to be fixed, and at that point you're just overpaying for Clendening. I doubt his value league-wide was anything more than a 3rd round pick, and that's being generous.

Myrenberg is... ok. He hasn't ever had a season like Forsling's in the SHL yet, and he's in his D+3 now. The situations aren't comparable at all, and it was baffling to see people parrot that analogy here and on twitter.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I’ll gladly eat crow.
Dudes been crazy good.
1699070718142.jpeg

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Some of you still don’t get it.
Trading a pick when we have one of if not the worst prospect pool for like the last decade.
That’s the problem.

It’s unlikely to have a post 1st round pick become a nhl player yes, but you don’t trade them for replacement level players when you’re not even sure you’d be making the playoffs.

This trade is minuscule but the idea behind it still stems from Bennings school of master team building. (Hint: it’s not gonna work)
Yeah we definitely don’t get it :laugh:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Thank god Miller trade worked out for us
The Miller trade was excellent. I didn’t agree with the timing of the deal but only an idiot would argue with the way it’s turned out. Lol at ANYONE crying about the deal for Lafferty.

These people are even worse than the previous regime at just blindly acquiring every former penguin that becomes available. It’s tiresome.
Bad take here Tiger.

Yeah we definitely don’t get it :laugh:
But HE gets it.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I’d still rather keep picks and this trade is only considered good because of our incredibly hot start. No one’s shitposting if we are bottom 10 rn with an extra adequate bottom 6 forward. I’m willing to die on that hill.

That being said, I admitted he is easily worth more than a 5th and acknowledged he is performing extremely well multiple times, you guys might wanna stop cherry picking for your shitposts.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’d still rather keep picks and this trade is only considered good because of our incredibly hot start. No one’s shitposting if we are bottom 10 rn with an extra adequate bottom 6 forward. I’m willing to die on that hill.

That being said, I admitted he is easily worth more than a 5th and acknowledged he is performing extremely well multiple times, you guys might wanna stop cherry picking for your shitposts.

The bleed draft picks crowd is taking some sort of lap
While they celebrated this activity during this team missing the playoffs 8 of the past 9 years and spending in free agency like a drunken sailor.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Forsling wasn't just some middling nobody who flukily an unexpectedly turned into a good player down the road.

He was a 5th round pick but in the 7 months between that point and when he was traded he was tracking as THE steal of that draft. Was immediately playing big minutes in the SHL and absolutely blew apart the 2015 WJC as the top defender and leading defensive scorer. At the point where he was traded, he might have gone in the first round in a re-draft.

Everyone here was massively excited about him at that point and it was devastating when he was dealt for some bum who quite obviously right from Day 1 couldn't skate at the required level. It was like finding a $100 bill and then spending it on a pile of dog poo.
What's lost in all of this is that the Black Hawks head coach that 'gave him a chance' (and he *DID* have a spot in the NHL with them under *THAT* head coach) is the *SAME* one that gave him a chance in Florida. People have to give the Canes a pass (well sort of a pass) in that they already had a fairly stacked blueline then (giving little chance for Forsling to break into that lineup except via multiple major injuries in the forseeable future). The Canucks had "Dumb & Dumber" as head coaches under the Benning regime.

What ended up happening with Forsling is pretty irrelevant though. Every prospect that has a massive D+1 season like he did is still fighting an uphill battle to even become an NHL regular. The problem was dealing him for Clendening, who similarly had a massive D+1 season but was at that point in his D+4 season and the pro scouting should've been able to tell that the warts weren't going to be fixed, and at that point you're just overpaying for Clendening. I doubt his value league-wide was anything more than a 3rd round pick, and that's being generous.

Myrenberg is... ok. He hasn't ever had a season like Forsling's in the SHL yet, and he's in his D+3 now. The situations aren't comparable at all, and it was baffling to see people parrot that analogy here and on twitter.
He was the shits (in terms of skating). And that's at the AHL level. Anybody that watched even just a single game of him could see that. You *might* be able to get away with that as a forward but not as a defenseman at the NHL level (well unless you had a player like Chris Pronger as your partner).

Yeah Forsling was literally a lottery scratch card then with a remote chance but he was dealt for an already scratched losing ticket scratch card.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
While they celebrated this activity during this team missing the playoffs 8 of the past 9 years and spending in free agency like a drunken sailor.
Yeah that 5th rounder is going to set the team back probably a decade.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Let them have their time in the sun.

2022-23 was pretty rough on those folk here.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

There's a subtle but important difference; I was on the rebuild train but did think there was a plausible way for a retool. Benning screwed almost everything he could up, so with that vein yeah, I didn't trust him trading picks, especially since they were largely throw-ins on bad deals to begin with.

Pretending Rutherford / Allvin trading picks away is the same thing as Benning simply because they involve trading picks is missing context entirely. Rutherford / Allvin for the most part have been bang on in terms of their professional scouting, and the prices they're paying are turning out to be largely good.

You can't just blindly say that trading picks is default bad without considering whether we're getting good value in alignment with a credible plan, which is what so far things look like under our new management.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's the old two things can be true concept:
1. holding on to picks makes a lot of sense to build prospect pool depth.
2. trading picks can make a lot of sense to fill a need.

In both cases the quality of scouting and development cannot be divorced from the successes or failures of 1 and 2.

I actually don't know why this is controversial.

Reactions: rypper

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There's a subtle but important difference; I was on the rebuild train but did think there was a plausible way for a retool. Benning screwed almost everything he could up, so with that vein yeah, I didn't trust him trading picks, especially since they were largely throw-ins on bad deals to begin with.

Pretending Rutherford / Allvin trading picks away is the same thing as Benning simply because they involve trading picks is missing context entirely. Rutherford / Allvin for the most part have been bang on in terms of their professional scouting, and the prices they're paying are turning out to be largely good.

You can't just blindly say that trading picks is default bad without considering whether we're getting good value in alignment with a credible plan, which is what so far things look like under our new management.
Trading Jared McCann & a high 2nd round pick for NoGoodBranSuck.

/end of thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad