Confirmed with Link: [VAN/SJ] Canucks acquire D Nick Cicek, 6th in ‘24 for F Jack Studnicka

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
The fact that our new management group is constantly making moves like this is so encouraging to me.

It shows an attention to detail and desire to improve our organization in all facets, something I've not seen since the Gillis peak.

Home runs are nice, but lots of little wins absolutely do add up and sometimes you dig out gold from nowhere.

f***, this is so refreshing.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Remember some grumbling over myrenberg? We move two irrelevant players to give a guy a chance. Didnt work out so get back a relevant young defenceman and a draft choice.
Myrenberg is fourth in scoring in the SHL for defensemen under 21, with 1/7/8 in 26 games played. 6'3", 196 lbs, shoots right. He seems to be getting about 18 minutes a game. Is he less relevant than Cicek?

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Canucks prospect list.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Got to hand it Allvin.....even when he trades for quy in the words of 'the gambler' he knows when to 'hold-em' and nows when to 'throw em'.

Studnicka originally cost the Canucks 'nothing' prospects Mike DiPietro and Jonathan Myrenberg. Then Studnicka moves to San Jose for Nick Cickek and a sixth. Right about now I'd have been happy with a sixth for Studnicka. Getting another young d-man to develop in Abby is just a bonus.

I don't know how he does it time after time.
Is DiPietro considered a nothing prospect? He's only 24, is he tracking that badly?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Is DiPietro considered a nothing prospect? He's only 24, is he tracking that badly?

It was a trade to help the player get a better shot somewhere else. DiPietro was not tracking to do well at the time of the trade.

Reactions: Chiripa20

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think he has turned things around. I was very high on Dipietro and I still think he can develop into an NHL goalie. It was sad to see him go but at that point it is what it is. He needed a fresh start.

Myrenberg was a bit tough since he was an RHD with size and skill. He will probably bust but rarely do you want to judge a Dman like that so soon after drafting him. It’s like giving up a lottery ticket for below what you paid for the ticket before the prize is drawn.

Reactions: Lindgren

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
It was a trade to help the player get a better shot somewhere else. DiPietro was not tracking to do well at the time of the trade.
And goaltending prospects were a lineup silovs had to be the guy you develop demko has what 5 to 8 yrs ahead of him use those 2nd and 3rd tier prospects you build with as trade pieces

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Myrenberg is fourth in scoring in the SHL for defensemen under 21, with 1/7/8 in 26 games played. 6'3", 196 lbs, shoots right. He seems to be getting about 18 minutes a game. Is he less relevant than Cicek?

My intent behind that phrase was that management deemed them irrelevant

But on one hand yeah he kind of is. He is there, cicek is here.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh, for sure.

But they did well to leverage a lucky break that it appears that the only team that rated SJ was one of two teams at 49 contracts.

If someone in Chicago (42 contracts) liked Studnicka it obviously goes differently.
What’s this “leverage” thing you are talking about? Lol

Amazing how different competent management looks compared to the Benning-Weisbrod clown show.

Reactions: MarkMM

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My intent behind that phrase was that management deemed them irrelevant

But on one hand yeah he kind of is. He is there, cicek is here.
That logic makes every trade a good trade: the player shipped out is irrelevant ... because he's no longer with the team.

If Myrenberg were still with the Canucks, he'd be considered a serious prospect.

Reactions: F A N

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
That logic makes every trade a good trade: the player shipped out is irrelevant ... because he's no longer with the team.

If Myrenberg were still with the Canucks, he'd be considered a serious prospect.
With blanketing everything black and white yes that would apply to every trade

Maybe i should have said expendable

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
With blanketing everything black and white yes that would apply to every trade

Maybe i should have said expendable
Management certainly thought Myrenberg was expendable—no question.

I still think it's interesting and significant that when asked about Myrenberg, JR commented that he wouldn't be hitting the NHL for five years (at least that's what I recall). It makes it rather clear what management considers to be the relevant time-line.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

I still think it's interesting and significant that when asked about Myrenberg, JR commented that he wouldn't be hitting the NHL for five years (at least that's what I recall). It makes it rather clear what management considers to be the relevant time-line.
Yes absolutely - that is fair.. and maybe more in line with my irrelevant comment

I mean you have a projected flow chart of players and timelines of projecting in the line up..and only so many spots.. and he became irrelevant in that scheme imo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

In the end it's Myrenberg, who is 2 years younger than Cicek and a future 6th rounder.

Guys drafted at that point in the draft typically take 5 years. If he was in the NCAA, you are expecting him to play through his JR or SR season at 21/22 and play maybe 2 years in the til 23/24. I mean, TB's young depth were around that age before joining TB full time. Just means a shorter time frame before they are eligible for UFA at 27, if the come in at 23/24.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Sure, but also like nothing ventured nothing gained. At least they've shown a willingness to keep things churning instead of doubling down.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I’m starting to wonder if player movement and trades are a part of the calculation for Bonuses for this management team. If so they are going to have one heck of a year.

Reactions: jd22

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I am not sure if management thought Myrenberg was expendable as much as they didn’t attach much value to him. I mean he was traded a year after he was drafted and the Canucks would have held his rights for a few more years.

Sure, but also like nothing ventured nothing gained. At least they've shown a willingness to keep things churning instead of doubling down.
I don’t know how that applies to a prospect like Myrenberg though given the Canucks situation. One would hope that management is patient with our prospects and you kind of have to with players like Myrenberg. Unless you see something you really don’t like you just hang on to them and see if they take the next step. That’s one benefit of using later round picks on players from USHL and Europe. You don’t have to make a decision on them in 2 years time. You can take 1-2 more years.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don’t know how that applies to a prospect like Myrenberg though given the Canucks situation. One would hope that management is patient with our prospects and you kind of have to with players like Myrenberg. Unless you see something you really don’t like you just hang on to them and see if they take the next step. That’s one benefit of using later round picks on players from USHL and Europe. You don’t have to make a decision on them in 2 years time. You can take 1-2 more years.

I don't know that it's necessarily impatience. They added a 23-year old almost-NHL centre who had some attributes they wanted to add and wasn't finding playing time in Boston. Didn't work out, and they had other guys come on and pass him in the meantime, obviously, but it's not likely that they were making that trade because they'd given up on Myrenberg and just wanted to recoup something for him. It's rare that you're going to pickup a potential player that you like without moving anything of any value the other way, and sometimes you have to make those choices. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

If a year from now we're talking about all the dozens of Myrenbergs we've been bleeding for players that didn't pan out then sure, but at this point they made a choice and that's kind of how it goes - especially when you kind of have to try to fix every single thing at once.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I’m starting to wonder if player movement and trades are a part of the calculation for Bonuses for this management team. If so they are going to have one heck of a year.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that Mr. Clean and Moleman are aware of the importance of our Abby team, and small wins add up quick.

Not gonna expect many trades to be immediately team-changing like Miller and Hronek, but if we continue to gain the upper hand, however small they may be, pebbles will pile up into mountains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad