Confirmed with Link: [VAN/SJ] Canucks acquire D Nick Cicek, 6th in ‘24 for F Jack Studnicka

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
MS betting his *entire* HF Boards reputation on this guy. I think he’s lying about his age, this dude is at least 35 years old.

IMG_4365.jpeg

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Allvin is about to magically flip the 6th from this trade for some gem like Tye Kartye who’ll stick in our bottom 6

Reactions: ziploc

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah, it’s a pretty obvious win to get both a pick and a waiver-exempt young D with NHL experience back for a guy SJ could have claimed off waivers a couple weeks ago.
Yep clearly cicek has shown potential, and has the qualities you gamble on developing.

Also for those interested cicek had the third worst plus minus on his team last year....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, it’s a pretty obvious win to get both a pick and a waiver-exempt young D with NHL experience back for a guy SJ could have claimed off waivers a couple weeks ago.
SJ at 49 contracts. Probably wanted to keep that little bit of flexibility for later. Not unusual for guys to clear waivers only to be traded later for something.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I love small moves like this. Shows foresight. Got another U25 Dman and a pick. Give Cicek some time with Foote and hopefully he finds his path again.
Yup.

Alvin is Prometheus.
Benning was Epimetheus.

OK, I was only in Classical Greek Studios at Langara for a week before I realized I was in way over my head.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
SJ at 49 contracts. Probably wanted to keep that little bit of flexibility for later. Not unusual for guys to clear waivers only to be traded later for something.

Oh, for sure.

But they did well to leverage a lucky break that it appears that the only team that rated SJ was one of two teams at 49 contracts.

If someone in Chicago (42 contracts) liked Studnicka it obviously goes differently.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

I'm more surprised with the ease the Nucks seem to be moving guys with these bottom-feeder teams.

This sort of throws out the idea that trades can't happen.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Love the tidiness here

Remember some grumbling over myrenberg? We move two irrelevant players to give a guy a chance. Didnt work out so get back a relevant young defenceman and a draft choice.

Sign me up to this all day long. The concept of cut your losses is like nibbling my ear - manage the business - that is what was done here

These little moves excite me probably more than they should because they show process
I grumbled about Myrenberg because I had hope!

Of course, hope not based on anything sound. I'll tell you that for

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
This isn't a huge blockbuster trade but I'm happy to be rid of Studnicka. I didn't think he offered enough to take up a roster spot over a prospect, and to get a young Defenseman with some experience and potential is a huge W. Not to mention a draft pick with him.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Dual purpose signing for Abby. Get someone to scrap which is sorely needed and get a defenseman to come in for some of the injured dmen.

The grit factor is something Johnson should have dealt with in the off season but didn't and its had negative effects in Abbotsford.

Hard to to tell which of Studnicka or Cicek have NHL potential - likely neither.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Got to hand it Allvin.....even when he trades for quy in the words of 'the gambler' he knows when to 'hold-em' and nows when to 'throw em'.

Studnicka originally cost the Canucks 'nothing' prospects Mike DiPietro and Jonathan Myrenberg. Then Studnicka moves to San Jose for Nick Cickek and a sixth. Right about now I'd have been happy with a sixth for Studnicka. Getting another young d-man to develop in Abby is just a bonus.

I don't know how he does it time after time.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad