Confirmed Trade: [VAN/LAK] Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd, cond. 2022 4th (if Toffoli signs)

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
A youth focused forum like HF has a lot of people who never want to stop rebuilding. We have guys that get upset when playoff teams don't trade off their pending UFA's.

HF is a Bizzaro world where the best prospect pool is way more important than actually winning the cup.
Seems a lot of times you have to eventually pay for those players too, a lot of times its all about he future, the future, the future. But eventually you have to say screw it lets try and see what happens. Not every team is going to be like Pitts and get Fluery/Malkin/Crosby or Chicago with Kane/Toews back to back drafts and able to build juggernauts from those. Hell Buffalo and Edmonton have been trying for 10 years now, Edmonton slowly looks like they are getting it finally. Gotta say "lets go and lets try"

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I like this for the Nucks IF Toffoli resigns. He’s a talented winger, and 27 is reasonably young.

Madden is probably the best piece going back, a skilled prospect, but also crazy skinny. Might become a quality middle 6er, might not. The 2nd is similarly valuable, and Schaller is a very replaceable 4th liner. They gave away two decent pieces (Madden and 2nd), but nothing too high end, and Toffoli instantly become their 3rd best winger. Good trade IF he resigns. If not, it’ll be a bit of a poor move, since I don’t see the Nucks being legit contenders this year.

Madden is a gamer and plays much bigger than his size, and is a great skater. He'll bulk up enough to be able to compete in the NHL.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
As an aside I really like the way LA is rebuilding. I wish the Canucks had done the same and we’d probably have been competing much more quickly. LA is stockpiling picks to add to an already deep prospect pool and should come out of this years draft with a high end player. In two or three years that team will be a solid young group on the rise. Very impressive!
This also gives them the leeway to make "risky" selections like Kaliyev to round out their stable. I, too, would've liked my team to have taken this route (still 100% for the initial O'Rielly trade, though.)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Why would Vancouver do this? Help me understand.

Canucks are battling for top spot in a very open division but since the new year have seen our secondary scoring dry up.
Recently lost Boeser for at least three weeks and Ferland might not play ever again.
Toffoli in theory should help fill Boeser's spot and then provide depth once Brock comes back.
I think Benning is slightly concerned he'll be out of a job if we don't get in the playoffs. Madden is a good prospect but still a year or two away and the second is a wildcard. I wouldn't have made the trade but at least understand the reasoning.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Not a terrible deal but I'm not really a huge fan of Toffoli. The cost of resigning him is going to be the interesting part.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah I'm aware, but still the guy has 149 points in 1285 games over the last 4 years (a 42 point pace).

Even if he was a solid 50 point player, giving up a promising top 6 C prospect and a second round pick feels like pretty significant overpayment for a rental who has struggled to produce over the last 4 years.

That's one hell of a veteran pick up. ;)

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Actually as it stands right now,Canucks won that trade.Basically they gave up a cap dump and a second.We've no idea if Madden will ever be a second line center in the Pros at this stage.Kings are taking a bigger risk.
And you dont know if Toffoli will re-sign. That's risky. It'd make sense to overpay if the Nucks were true contenders, but they cant even pull ahead in the weakest division in hockey. Chances of Nucks actually contending this year is paper thin, so you better hope Benning can sign Toffoli to a reasonable deal or else you gave up a very promising prospect on false hope.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Honestly, I doubt Benning is worried about his job or is in danger. His draft record here has been great, are you really going to fire a GM that added players like Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes to your team and added a top line power forward winger like JT Miller. Benning didn’t make this move out of concerns about his job... he made it cause he’s sees a shot to go deep into the playoffs and he took it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't understand how Madden can only be 152 lbs. That seems crazy, to me, considering how much time his father spent training him.

Reactions: Cucumber

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Wonder how many Pacific teams try to load up now. Some of them won't make the playoffs.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
This LAK fan isn't sad to see TT leave. The guy just doesn't show up enough. I hope he plays better for Van, but don't be surprised when a few games go by and you're not sure if he played or not.
But, he's a good locker-room guy. His teammates appear to enjoy his company. I'm sure now being on a team in the playoff hunt will boost his confidence and he'll produce.
Good luck, thanks for 2014.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Absolutely garbage trade. You haven’t made the playoffs in 5 years and you deal 3 assets.

f***ing joke

Gaud

May 11, 2017
A youth focused forum like HF has a lot of people who never want to stop rebuilding. We have guys that get upset when playoff teams don't trade off their pending UFA's.

HF is a Bizzaro world where the best prospect pool is way more important than actually winning the cup.

I agree that there are always fans on both sides of the fence for teams that aren't legit contenders, but at the same time, a team like Montreal has had a "let's make the playoffs - anything can happen" approach forever now. This approach meant trading our prospect pool to maintain the status quo. Meanwhile, teams like Pitts, LA and Chicago have proven that selling your assets for meaningful futures and growing them together is what builds dynasties nowadays. I would personally love to see that in Montreal; id rather have a team that takes another 3 years to make the playoffs but that can hope for hte cup every year than this status quo crap

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Absolutely garbage trade. You haven’t made the playoffs in 5 years and you deal 3 assets.

****ing joke
Madden is at least 3years away and is behind 3C already who r young and he is still at best 50/50 to make it.
2nd rounder is like 35% chance to play 100games iirc
4th isn't an asset really just an ahl player who might be bottom 6 material.

Reactions: rotiman187

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Sometimes I think if someone trades a seventh round pick for Connor McDavid, HF would get mad at trading a seventh round pick.
Picks (2nd round ++) are not much of a problem for most. As soon as a prospect is involved who is doing well, than it’s a problem for many.

That pick will never get a name for the team that gave it away.

The prospect already has a name and can be followed for a decade if it pans out.

Its very simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad