Confirmed Trade: [VAN/LAK] Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd, cond. 2022 4th (if Toffoli signs)

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I have to say that I never thought that Yamamto was going to amount to much for the Oilers. He is looking like he is going to be a real nice piece for you going forward. He has had a solid year in the AHL and stepped it up in the NHL. Kinda like trading for a top 6 winger at the allstar break.

I think not many expected that impact, gave us a great 2 line, but McD could need a Yamma to!

Doesnt hurt him playing with Drai and RnH either, we will see if he can continue that game or falling back a bit!

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I have to say that I never thought that Yamamto was going to amount to much for the Oilers. He is looking like he is going to be a real nice piece for you going forward. He has had a solid year in the AHL and stepped it up in the NHL. Kinda like trading for a top 6 winger at the allstar break.

He was statistically better in junior than Hischier was, the only reason he went so late was because he's #small.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Interesting take based on the way the two teams have been playing since Jan. 1. Canucks have been downright bad and are getting carried by Marky while Edmonton is beating top end teams and actually outplaying them yet you like your chances more? McDavid on that 1st line by himself is better than your 1st line and our 2nd line is better than your 1st line so that makes up for a mediocre bottom 6 (a bottom 6 that is playing better than yours at the moment).

Forwards:
McDavid
Draisatl
EP
RNH~Miller
Horvat
Yamamoto
Toffoli

Defense:
Hughes
Klef
Nurse
Edler
Bear
Tanev
Larsson
Myers

I see a much better forward group, and a very comparable defensive group.

RNH > Horvat? News to me. I mean, you can make an argument, but I would disagree as I think Horvat is a more complete, better two-way player. He has also shown that he can step his game up in the playoffs on multiple occasions.

I would go Horvat > RNH = Miller, tbh. Miller has more points than Horvat but he's not necessarily a better or more useful/valuable player.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
It's time to step down, Mr.Blake

Why that if i may ask????
We drafted excellent and i expect 2 more years of sucking t get rid of old contracts.
While that we restock our pool. Everything is according to plans.
This is why the coach got a 5 year contract.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
RNH > Horvat? News to me. I mean, you can make an argument, but I would disagree as I think Horvat is a more complete, better two-way player. He has also shown that he can step his game up in the playoffs on multiple occasions.

I would go Horvat > RNH = Miller, tbh. Miller has more points than Horvat but he's not necessarily a better or more useful/valuable player.

Sure you could definitely make the argument but don't think it changes much regardless. I could have also said Yamamoto is better than Miller/RNH but that would be premature (he's trending that way)

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Interesting take based on the way the two teams have been playing since Jan. 1. Canucks have been downright bad and are getting carried by Marky while Edmonton is beating top end teams and actually outplaying them yet you like your chances more? McDavid on that 1st line by himself is better than your 1st line and our 2nd line is better than your 1st line so that makes up for a mediocre bottom 6 (a bottom 6 that is playing better than yours at the moment).

Forwards:
McDavid
Draisatl
EP
RNH~Miller
Horvat
Yamamoto
Toffoli

Defense:
Hughes
Klef
Nurse
Edler
Bear
Tanev
Larsson
Myers

Where's Brock? Also, I wouldn't say Bear is better than Tanev but I haven't watched much Oiler games this year.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Where's Brock? Also, I wouldn't say Bear is better than Tanev but I haven't watched much Oiler games this year.

He way overrated the Oiler players, fact is Oilers are up by 1 point which is a loser point. Let’s see how the standings look after 82 games and the playoffs before we get too much into this.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’ll throw out another opinion, just for the sake of it.

I don’t love this trade at face value, but one of the few things I was critical on during the Gillis era is I did not feel he “went all in” enough when our window was open.

If Benning feels our window is opening, that doesn’t necessarily mean we need to be the favourite each year. Our window under Gillis was short, and while I don’t think it could have been extended, I do wonder if we could have forced it open sooner and had a few more cracks at it.

If Benning trades our 2nd round pick for the next 10 years in the row to try to give us a longer competitive window, in theory I’m okay with that. I get we aren’t perennial contenders, but I think it’s worth putting our best foot forward each year if at all possible. We’ve seen young teams catch fire and win the cup in the past, it’s not impossible we could go on a bit of a run.

It isn’t a popular opinion, but we may need to lose some draft picks over the years to accomplish this. I just hope our late round drafting is well enough that we can stay afloat somewhat. And, I get their are teams that have extended the window through the draft rather than trading draft picks. I do support this balance, but as I said, consider this opinion as well.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Sure you could definitely make the argument but don't think it changes much regardless. I could have also said Yamamoto is better than Miller/RNH but that would be premature (he's trending that way)
Jesus f***ing christ.

Calm down. Miller is scoring at a 80 point rate while being one of the best possession driving forwards in the league. Kailer Yamaoto is really not that close to him - at all.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Why are Oiler fans coming into a thread about the Kings/Canucks and jamming the Oiler kool-aid down our throats?

It started with a discussion on the trade (aka the Canucks getting fleeced) and one of your boys decided to say how he thinks the Oilers will miss the playoffs while you guys win the Pacific so let's calm down a bit and get some context. Also, go check any Oiler thread and you'll realize why this is a silly post.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
It started with a discussion on the trade (aka the Canucks getting fleeced) and one of your boys decided to say how he thinks the Oilers will miss the playoffs while you guys win the Pacific so let's calm down a bit and get some context. Also, go check any Oiler thread and you'll realize why this is a silly post.

Canucks got fleeced? News to me. I thought it was a fair trade.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Forwards:
McDavid
Draisatl
EP
RNH~Miller
Horvat
Yamamoto
Toffoli

Defense:
Hughes
Klef
Nurse
Edler
Bear
Tanev
Larsson
Myers

Disagree. The Oilers depth is just awful. They are being carried by two admittedly great players but that’s not a recipe for success if they manage to get into the playoffs. After McDrai there’s RNH and Yamamoto and not much else so Van with the better group and they’ve just added Toffoli to widen the gap.

I’d have the forwards:
McDavid
Drai
EP
Miller
Horvat
RNH
Boeser
Pearson
Yamamoto/Toffoli

I’d also take the Canucks D. I’d have it:
Hughes
Klef
Edler
Nurse
Tanev
Bear
Myers
Larsson

Goaltending. Obviously Markstrom here.

So better depth at every position. Admittedly Drai and McDavid help make up for a pretty underwhelming forward group but I think they will eventually wear down if they sneak into the playoffs. If I’m handicapping the race I’d have it in terms of overall strength of team:
1. Vegas
2. Canucks
3. Calgary
4. and 5. Arizona and Edmonton

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Friedman's take on this in 31 Thoughts makes sense. In part, the future is uncertain, why not take a shot right now?

There's no guarantee the Canucks will be any better or injury-free next season or the season after that. Right now, Benning knows what he has and it sends a strong message to his players.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I’ll throw out another opinion, just for the sake of it.

I don’t love this trade at face value, but one of the few things I was critical on during the Gillis era is I did not feel he “went all in” enough when our window was open.

If Benning feels our window is opening, that doesn’t necessarily mean we need to be the favourite each year. Our window under Gillis was short, and while I don’t think it could have been extended, I do wonder if we could have forced it open sooner and had a few more cracks at it.

If Benning trades our 2nd round pick for the next 10 years in the row to try to give us a longer competitive window, in theory I’m okay with that. I get we aren’t perennial contenders, but I think it’s worth putting our best foot forward each year if at all possible. We’ve seen young teams catch fire and win the cup in the past, it’s not impossible we could go on a bit of a run.

It isn’t a popular opinion, but we may need to lose some draft picks over the years to accomplish this. I just hope our late round drafting is well enough that we can stay afloat somewhat. And, I get their are teams that have extended the window through the draft rather than trading draft picks. I do support this balance, but as I said, consider this opinion as well.
With this comment I am not saying that we will win the cup(though it is not impossible for our group, esp when Brock is back and if Marky stays hot), but STL were not considered a team capable of winning the cup when they made a play for RoR. If you have to be a cup favorite to go all in, then it would be a buyers market every year because only a few teams would be buying. This is an important trade to the team this year, and for the next several years. Management is telling guys like EP, BH, QH, JTM that he believes they can make the playoffs and do some damage. That will boost their confidence, give them a stronger finish to the year, and we will likely make the playoffs. BB could be back for the 1st round as well if we make it.

EDIT: STL got a ranking of 10th AFTER the RoR trade. That does not scream "OMG they have a great shot at the cup this year" to me. Cup favorites usually rank in the top 5.

Super 16: Lightning start season at No. 1

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Forwards:
McDavid
Draisatl
EP
RNH~Miller
Horvat
Yamamoto
Toffoli

Defense:
Hughes
Klef
Nurse
Edler
Bear
Tanev
Larsson
Myers

Lmao this is so freaking biased it’s incredible.

Try this instead:

Mcdavid
Drai
Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Nuge/Miller
Toffoli

Hughes
Tanev
Klefbom
Nurse/Edler
Bear
Larsson
Myers

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
An unsolicited opinion from a humble outsider's view: I understand the argument that Vancouver isn't rebuilt yet, and shouldn't be giving away futures for players leaving their prime. But the youth on the Canucks haven't played any playoff games, and it's a good experience for their own personal development and for the team as a whole. Just like they need to play some NHL games when they're in the lower leagues to get a taste of what they need to do in the bigs, young NHL'ers need to get a taste of the playoffs to understand that the bar is raised once again and make that mental shift. It's something beneficial they can build off, even if they aren't ready to contend now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad