Confirmed Trade: [VAN/LAK] Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd, cond. 2022 4th (if Toffoli signs)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
At what point does a rebuilding team become a playoff/contender team? When they've won the cup?
A youth focused forum like HF has a lot of people who never want to stop rebuilding. We have guys that get upset when playoff teams don't trade off their pending UFA's.

HF is a Bizzaro world where the best prospect pool is way more important than actually winning the cup.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
A nice trade for the King’s.

Madden, in an interview from this past December, stated he was still 152 pounds.
From an interview from the previous season, his father says he himself didn’t physically mature until he was about 24-25...

So....I think there is a longer than you’d like wait involved, but once he gets up to 180-190 pounds you should have a nice player on your hands that can play as high as the top line, or be used as a shutdown guy.

The only downside is he’s a minimum of 2 full seasons away, and more likely a 3 season wait...But, you’re in a full rebuild, so time is an asset you have that a lot of other teams don’t.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Just saw this now via TSN channel on YouTube. Was happy with Toffoli, then immediately bummed Madden was included in the deal. I think it’s a reasonable deal if the Canucks brass and scouting think there is an above average chance Toffoli is a good fit and we resign him.

Madden has been climbing steadily since being drafted, I think he would be a low first rounder in a redraft. Still not physically mature on his slight frame, by no means a guarantee to become an NHLer.

What’s Toffolis foot speed like? My concern is that we paid for the player he was rather than is or will be.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
In a vacuum, on its own this trade is fine, but Jim Benning is making trades as if the Canucks are in the same situation the Penguins or Lightning are in(i.e who gives a toss about picks and prospects when we have elite in their prime players ready to win a cup) the Canucks Cap situation for 2020-21 is a bit of a mess right now with Tanev, Markstrom, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stetcher, Motte and now Toffoli who all need either re-signing or replacing with about $18-20m in cap space, I'm excited to see what Toffoli will do over the next few months in a Canucks jersey, but there's absolutely valid concerns about the Canucks ability to build a contender over the next 2/3 years.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Just saw this now via TSN channel on YouTube. Was happy with Toffoli, then immediately bummed Madden was included in the deal. I think it’s a reasonable deal if the Canucks brass and scouting think there is an above average chance Toffoli is a good fit and we resign him.

Madden has been climbing steadily since being drafted, I think he would be a low first rounder in a redraft. Still not physically mature on his slight frame, by no means a guarantee to become an NHLer.

What’s Toffolis foot speed like? My concern is that we paid for the player he was rather than is or will be.

Toffoli is not a great skater...

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Vancouver in a spot to make some noise in the playoffs? Yes
TT is a top 6 player? Yes
Did he cost a top 6 asset haul? Yes
Did he cost a top line asset haul? No
Is there any chance he signs? Sure. Depends on how it works out, but yeah- there’s a chance.

sounds pretty decent to me if I’m a long-standing Nucks fan.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

His speed hasn't declined. He was never a great skater to begin with. Average to slow skater.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I wasn't expecting Madden to be dealt, especially for a rental. Interesting deal.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Toffoli is a good player. Not just a scorer. Good board work. Can pass. Takes a hit to make a play.

Coming around on Madden. Potential is there. Skill is there. Kings seem pretty high on him.

I like that LA now has three second rounders to work with in June.

Reactions: Choralone

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I love reading these threads about a day late...focus on first few pages and see by how much people missed when they originally commented, or simply to congratulate the sole poster who guessed it right.

Reactions: crassbonanza

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Toffoli is a good player. Not just a scorer. Good board work. Can pass. Takes a hit to make a play.

Coming around on Madden. Potential is there. Skill is there. Kings seem pretty high on him.

I like that LA now has three second rounders to work with in June.

The Kings only have 2-second rounders

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The best team in the Pacific would be tied for 6th in the Metro. It is easily the worst division in hockey.
That's not the way it works. A competitive division has less teams to beat to on.

5 teams in the Pacific have winning records against the east and another is .500. 5 teams in the Pacific have winning records against the metro and another is .500.

Conversely only 4 teams in the metro have winning records against the Pacific and only 3 teams have winning records against the West.

The east has more teams to beat up on. If teams like the Islanders, Philly, Columbus, and Carolina were in the Pacific their records would be worse. The Pacific has no true contender but it's the most competitive for the middle of the road teams.

Reactions: mdobbs and iFan

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Toffoli will complement that top nine perfectly.

Pearson Horvat Boeser
Miller Pettersson Toffoli
Ferland Sutter Virtanen

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like this for the Nucks IF Toffoli resigns. He’s a talented winger, and 27 is reasonably young.

Madden is probably the best piece going back, a skilled prospect, but also crazy skinny. Might become a quality middle 6er, might not. The 2nd is similarly valuable, and Schaller is a very replaceable 4th liner. They gave away two decent pieces (Madden and 2nd), but nothing too high end, and Toffoli instantly become their 3rd best winger. Good trade IF he resigns. If not, it’ll be a bit of a poor move, since I don’t see the Nucks being legit contenders this year.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As an aside I really like the way LA is rebuilding. I wish the Canucks had done the same and we’d probably have been competing much more quickly. LA is stockpiling picks to add to an already deep prospect pool and should come out of this years draft with a high end player. In two or three years that team will be a solid young group on the rise. Very impressive!
On Toffoli if he re-signs I think Vancouver does pretty well in this trade. Toffoli, Pearson and Miller added you the top 6 in the last year is pretty impressive and it makes the team so much more physical and talented in the top 6.
If Toffoli walks then obviously the trade is a loss.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Are you familiar with the Kings at all?

There's a 10-15 point tax simply for breathing our air
Yeah I'm aware, but still the guy has 149 points in 285 games over the last 4 years (a 42 point pace).

Even if he was a solid 50 point player, giving up a promising top 6 C prospect and a second round pick feels like pretty significant overpayment for a rental who has struggled to produce over the last 4 years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad