Confirmed Trade: [VAN/LAK] Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd, cond. 2022 4th (if Toffoli signs)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Dont understand this trade at all??? Nucks acting like they are a Toffoli away to make a run for the cup!

A top 3 prospect in their org. for 2 months of Toffoli + picks thats really bad, the Nucks problem hasnt been goalscoring, its the D with terrible depht, Marky has saved their bacon game after game.

They also have to deal with Tanevs and Markys eventual extensions off season, so if the do sign Toffoli at 6m , wheres the cap to sign the other 2?

The Nucks is n my book the worst team among the teams fighting to clinch, i bet they misses out anyway , only needs some normal goaltending for them to fall like last season!
Actually many of us Canucks fans recognized Madden as our 2nd best prospect

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
This is an even trade IMO.

Here's my take on Madden as someone who followed him since he got drafted.

Good prospect, not Blue chip.

undersized Centre with filthy hands and high motor. He needs to spend 1 more year in Northeastern then 1- 2 years in the AHL. If he leaves Northeastern this season, he will get eaten alive in the AHL next year. His size will always be the question. He has probably the best celly's in College Hockey.

I think Madden will be an offenive 3C in the NHL that can step in as a 2C when needed. He will play both PP and PK.

Boom or Bust prospect

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Habs are very will positioned to add a star on top of what we already have. I rather draft the star later in the process vs early. What if Suzuki puts up 50-60 pts this year at 20 and improves that to 60-80 next year? That's fringe status to Pettersson don't you think?

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Caufield, Primeau are darn good prospects/young players. And we have a **** load of grade B+ and B's behind them that can surprise here and there. Add a star in one of the next 3 drafts and we are in very good shape.
Dude, at least 70% of all the prospects you like in your org now won’t reach their potential, that’s speaking from exp

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dude, at least 70% of all the prospects you like in your org now won’t reach their potential, that’s speaking from exp

Sure, but we have both quality and quantity working in our favor. Not many have higher draft power and development trends than the Habs in the last 3 drafts. I'd like to see you try to deflate it. Of course their will be disappointments but there will also be surprises.

Name me any team that has 11 prospects who are WJC talent in the 17-19 drafts. Yeah, we seem to lack a star but man, the group is coming together and like I said, I rather draft the star later vs early in the rebuild process. Plus we have not even traded any of our vets yet (aside from Patch). We are in better shape than most will admit. Problem is we are going nowhere in the short term

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I’d say they are better than the Oilers and Flames. Oilers have no depth and questionable goaltending and are running their two star players into the ground. Flames have some good talent but just not performing this year. I think they get it together. I’d say the Oilers as the weakest likely miss again and the rest is pretty wide open with the Canucks having as good a chance of any of the teams fighting. Markstrom is an elite goalie. This is his new normal.

Well , i have to disagree, its a spare capital to not have the best goaltending,! In a long playoff run its not enough!

Oilers winning games without crazy goaltending and arent outplayed, outshot like the Nucks has been in to many games. We also have better away numbers then home games.

We have the best PP in the Nhl, 3rd PK and 2 of the best C in the leuage, the D depht is good and the top 4 is enough for a little run. The Fw depht isnt deep but guys like Archie , Haas, buing into the Tippet system.

Nucks relying on Vezina goaltending and a rookie D who has been nursed pretty good, EP s a coming superstar but isnt there yet.

A top 3 prospect eh, even if that were true your Top 3 body is behind 3 other bodies at center right now and he won't be here for at least another year or two. Where do you get 6 million for Tyler from?

Well, do think a 1.5m raise is reasonable as UFA !

Actually many of us Canucks fans recognized Madden as our 2nd best prospect

I didnt ranked them! Podkolzin, Hoglander and Madden!

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Sure, but we have both quality and quantity working in our favor. Not many have higher draft power and development trends than the Habs in the last 3 drafts. I'd like to see you try to deflate it. Of course their will be disappointments but there will also be surprises.

Name me any team that has 11 prospects who are WJC talent in the 17-19 drafts. Yeah, we seem to lack a star but man, the group is coming together and like I said, I rather draft the star later vs early in the rebuild process. Plus we have not even traded any of our vets yet (aside from Patch). We are in better shape than most will admit. Problem is we are going nowhere in the short term
Draft power and development trends can’t be proven until those players actually become good nhl layers. Right now there’s still hope on guys who already sniff the show, but no one has proven himself

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Draft power and development trends can’t be proven until those players actually become good nhl layers. Right now there’s still hope on guys who already sniff the show, but no one has proven himself

Prospects are not proven yes. But I rather have the positive trends in development than negative or meh trends.

Hope based on probability due to quality and quantity. This is just not some kids fantasy dream where they think McCarron will be a top 6C lol

Here is another stat for you to chew on.... Habs have the 10th best draft power and are trending with the 7th best production (games played and points) in actual NHL games played (16-19 draft years).

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
2nd rounder is like 35% chance to play 100games iirc
4th isn't an asset really just an ahl player who might be bottom 6 player
I just want to point at the fact that the Kings have been doing pretty well in the 2nd round for years. They dont do too bad in the 4th either. The Kings staff is largely intact from the first official Lombardi draft year in 07.

2nd Wayne Simmonds 899gp
4th Alec Martinez 597gp and Dwight King 365gp

2nd Slava Voynov 190gp

2nd Kyle Clifford 666gp
4th JF Berube 34gp and Lindey Vey 138gp

2nd Tyler Toffoli 515gp

2nd Christopher Gibson 14gp
4th Michael Mersch 17gp

4th Nikolai Prokhorkin 34gp
5th Colin Miller 294gp

2nd Valentin Zykov 55gp
4th Justin Auger 2gp and Hudson Fasching 22gp

2nd Roland McKeown 10gp and Alex Lintuniemi 0gp
4th Steven Johnson 0gp

2nd Erik Cernak 115gp
4th Austin Wagner 116gp

2nd Kale Clague 4gp
4th Jacob Moverare 0gp

2nd Jaret Anderson-Dolan 9gp
4th Mikey Anderson 0gp and Markus Phillips 0gp

2nd Akil Thomas 0gp
4th Aidan Dudas 0gp

2nd Arthur Kaliyev 0gp and Samuel Fagemo 0gp
4th Jordan Spence 0gp and Kim Nousiainen 0gp

Most of the recent picks in both rounds are some of the Kings top prospects.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Prospects are not proven yes. But I rather have the positive trends in development than negative or meh trends.

Hope based on probability due to quality and quantity. This is just not some kids fantasy dream where they think McCarron will be a top 6C lol
Ok, keep believing. It’s always better to believe than doubt.
Off the topic already, this discussion is over for me here

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well , i have to disagree, its a spare capital to not have the best goaltending,! In a long playoff run its not enough!

Oilers winning games without crazy goaltending and arent outplayed, outshot like the Nucks has been in to many games. We also have better away numbers then home games.

We have the best PP in the Nhl, 3rd PK and 2 of the best C in the leuage, the D depht is good and the top 4 is enough for a little run. The Fw depht isnt deep but guys like Archie , Haas, buing into the Tippet system.

Nucks relying on Vezina goaltending and a rookie D who has been nursed pretty good, EP s a coming superstar but isnt there yet.

Your top line is out and is comprised of McDavid, Kassian and Neal. That's weak and so is your bottom six. Gagner and Granlund don't belong in the NHL. Believe me Canuck fans have seen plenty of those two.
The Oilers depth is poor and in the playoffs a lack of depth is a huge handicap. The D is at best average. You will go as far as McDavid and Drai drag the rest of the team. Let's not sugar coat it.
I think this off season we will have a better idea if Holland can improve the depth but I don't see the team going far if they make it. To me they are in the most precarious position of all of the teams fighting for a spot and I think ultimately the Oilers fall out of the race just like they have the past few years.
Obviously as an Oiler fan you disagree but I like the Canuck's chances better as they have more depth at most positions. And adding Toffoli is a pretty big boost. We will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: gianni

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
First of all
Good user name

Seocnd, I say Madden is our 4th/5th best prospect behind Pod, Hog, Dipietro and Lind. Yes I and putting Lind infront of him
First of all, all you cheer Bennings every move guys, its amazing how your view of Madden has SOURED since last night. Before that every Canucks fan loved the guy, esp the Benning boys

Amazing how the script changes just minutes to hours after a guy is traded

Truly pathetic :shakehead

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
First of all, all you cheer Bennings every move guys, its amazing how your view of Madden has SOURED since last night. Before that every Canucks fan loved the guy, esp the Benning boys

Amazing how the script changes just minutes to hours after a guy is traded

Truly pathetic :shakehead
Find a post where I said I dislike Madden or Madden is our 3rd best prospect

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
As an oilers fan you should be more worried about your team than the Canucks. Also lol at canucks being worst team in the division

LOL, where did i say worst in the division? Said worst of the teams fighting for a playoff spot!

Well it was a trade thread and i posted my opinions on the trade and why, only my cents!

Really like some players on the Nucks, a team whos is where Leafs was 2-3 seasons ago, very high upside but very up and down with a bad D.

Didnt expected much of Oilers before this season or even 2-3 month in, but the last month has made me a believer, the team has really growned into it and bought into Tippet.

But a Conference final doesnt seems to be a mission impossible, but first we need to clinch and i like our chances!

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Benning was just on vancouver radio. For what its worth he basically stated that this trade was made to replace Brock Boeser. Benning just announced that Boeser is out for the remainder of the season and they wanted to keep the season on the rails. He wanted to show the rest of the roster that they will keep pushing for the playoffs.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Benning was just on vancouver radio. For what its worth he basically stated that this trade was made to replace Brock Boeser. Benning just announced that Boeser is out for the remainder of the season and they wanted to keep the season on the rails. He wanted to show the rest of the roster that they will keep pushing for the playoffs.
Fair. It is what it is.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
LOL, where did i say worst in the division? Said worst of the teams fighting for a playoff spot!

Well it was a trade thread and i posted my opinions on the trade and why, only my cents!

Really like some players on the Nucks, a team whos is where Leafs was 2-3 seasons ago, very high upside but very up and down with a bad D.

Didnt expected much of Oilers before this season or even 2-3 month in, but the last month has made me a believer, the team has really growned into it and bought into Tippet.

But a Conference final doesnt seems to be a mission impossible, but first we need to clinch and i like our chances!

Pretty sure the Canucks, Knights, Flames all feel the same way. Whoever comes out of the Pacific will have had as easy a route as any team I can remember.

Reactions: McClelland

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Your top line is out and is comprised of McDavid, Kassian and Neal. That's weak and so is your bottom six. Gagner and Granlund don't belong in the NHL. Believe me Canuck fans have seen plenty of those two.
The Oilers depth is poor and in the playoffs a lack of depth is a huge handicap. The D is at best average. You will go as far as McDavid and Drai drag the rest of the team. Let's not sugar coat it.
I think this off season we will have a better idea if Holland can improve the depth but I don't see the team going far if they make it. To me they are in the most precarious position of all of the teams fighting for a spot and I think ultimately the Oilers fall out of the race just like they have the past few years.
Obviously as an Oiler fan you disagree but I like the Canuck's chances better as they have more depth at most positions. And adding Toffoli is a pretty big boost. We will see.

Well , we have to wait and see, yamma gave us a great 2nd line and we winning games without McD, and hes not out for eternity.

Agree on Gagner and Granlund but those are only injury replacer! Kassian and Neal out, also Nygaard s before these , even Benson has surpassed them. But its a strenght pulling out wins with so many injurys!

GL anyway!

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Well , we have to wait and see, yamma gave us a great 2nd line and we winning games without McD, and hes not out for eternity.

Agree on Gagner and Granlund but those are only injury replacer! Kassian and Neal out, also Nygaard s before these , even Benson has surpassed them. But its a strenght pulling out wins with so many injurys!

GL anyway!
I have to say that I never thought that Yamamto was going to amount to much for the Oilers. He is looking like he is going to be a real nice piece for you going forward. He has had a solid year in the AHL and stepped it up in the NHL. Kinda like trading for a top 6 winger at the allstar break.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

Interesting take based on the way the two teams have been playing since Jan. 1. Canucks have been downright bad and are getting carried by Marky while Edmonton is beating top end teams and actually outplaying them yet you like your chances more? McDavid on that 1st line by himself is better than your 1st line and our 2nd line is better than your 1st line so that makes up for a mediocre bottom 6 (a bottom 6 that is playing better than yours at the moment).

Forwards:
McDavid
Draisatl
EP
RNH~Miller
Horvat
Yamamoto
Toffoli

Defense:
Hughes
Klef
Nurse
Edler
Bear
Tanev
Larsson
Myers

I see a much better forward group, and a very comparable defensive group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad