Confirmed Trade: [VAN/LAK] Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd, cond. 2022 4th (if Toffoli signs)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I agree that there are always fans on both sides of the fence for teams that aren't legit contenders, but at the same time, a team like Montreal has had a "let's make the playoffs - anything can happen" approach forever now. This approach meant trading our prospect pool to maintain the status quo. Meanwhile, teams like Pitts, LA and Chicago have proven that selling your assets for meaningful futures and growing them together is what builds dynasties nowadays. I would personally love to see that in Montreal; id rather have a team that takes another 3 years to make the playoffs but that can hope for hte cup every year than this status quo crap

I do agree all teams are not created equal when making deadline decisions. I'm not going to speak for Vancouver fans and if they think this is the first of many trips to come or if it was a fluke and the rebuild still has years to go but I think all fans can agree it's more fun when your team makes the playoffs and actually tries to win. Hoping my Leafs face them in the final :).

Reactions: Grantham

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
A youth focused forum like HF has a lot of people who never want to stop rebuilding. We have guys that get upset when playoff teams don't trade off their pending UFA's.

HF is a Bizzaro world where the best prospect pool is way more important than actually winning the cup.
A good young prospect >>>>>Late 20s 40-50 pts forward or 2’d pair D

Bizarre HF logic

Reactions: BlueBaron

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I do agree all teams are not created equal when making deadline decisions. I'm not going to speak for Vancouver fans and if they think this is the first of many trips to come or if it was a fluke and the rebuild still has years to go but I think all fans can agree it's more fun when your team makes the playoffs and actually tries to win. Hoping my Leafs face them in the final :).

Agree.. i suppose the habs are going through what the Leafs are just getting out of. I just tired of 8th place finishes, or lineups that only require the other team to block one player to win.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don’t like many decisions made by Jim Benning, I think he lacks patience especially now with his job on the line.
With that being said, I can always respect someone that says “F it, let’s gooo”
Like what Jarmo Kekkeleinan did last season

As for resigning Toffoli/ Markstrom/ Tanev?
Well at least one of them gotta go now, and that sounds like an off season problem

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I like this deal a lot from a Canucks POV.
-Toffoli will slot right in with Pearson and Horvat on the 2nd line, I think he is a pretty good fit. When we get healthy, that is a pretty nice looking top 6 now.
-Not sure why everyone is stating the Canucks aren't ready for a long playoff run. Assuming we get in, we play 2 of LV, Cal, Edm, AZ before the conference finals. Does anyone believe that 4 those teams are so much better than us that it is not worth taking a shot?
-Sucks to lose Madden, he is a very good prospect, but we have to give up something to get something. Teams are paying a lot so far this deadline to improve. Kings got a good one here.
-I think Stecher is on his way out. I think JB figures he will get a 3rd back for him and use one of Rafferty, Brisebois, or possibly Tryamkin or Joulevi to fill in.

One thing that really bothers me on these boards.....When a team deals a prospect, they are not giving up on them, or assuming they are a bust, or see them as career AHL or Europe players. I think JB recognizes that Madden is a quality prospect, but given his timeline, and role on the team in the future, he was expendable to improve the team now. Likewise with McCann. McCann didn't fit the long or short term needs of this team, so he was dealt in a move to improve the team (which didn't pan out).

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Agree.. i suppose the habs are going through what the Leafs are just getting out of. I just tired of 8th place finishes, or lineups that only require the other team to block one player to win.
Except
The habs is lacking in franchise talent
They have absolutely zero franchise changer, Poehling, KK even Suzuki, none of them are.
Find someone who can draft, hit a god damn blue chip in the first round FFS, who was the last franchise forward the Habs got?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Except
They have absolutely zero franchise changer, Poehling, KK even Suzuki, none of them are.
Find someone who can draft, hit a god damn blue chip in the first round FFS, who was the last franchise forward the Habs got?

Exactly! I dont see how we get that franchise talent without tanking or rebuilding. It was the same for Leafs.
Lol i asked the same question about our last franchise forward - Kovalev seemed to be a popular response (though we didnt draft him). My personal thought was Lafleur, with Damphousse being the next best thing since

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Dont understand this trade at all??? Nucks acting like they are a Toffoli away to make a run for the cup!

A top 3 prospect in their org. for 2 months of Toffoli + picks thats really bad, the Nucks problem hasnt been goalscoring, its the D with terrible depht, Marky has saved their bacon game after game.

They also have to deal with Tanevs and Markys eventual extensions off season, so if the do sign Toffoli at 6m , wheres the cap to sign the other 2?

The Nucks is n my book the worst team among the teams fighting to clinch, i bet they misses out anyway , only needs some normal goaltending for them to fall like last season!

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Honestly, I doubt Benning is worried about his job or is in danger. His draft record here has been great, are you really going to fire a GM that added players like Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes to your team and added a top line power forward winger like JT Miller. Benning didn’t make this move out of concerns about his job... he made it cause he’s sees a shot to go deep into the playoffs and he took it.

JB has done a solid job rebuilding this team. His job is not at risk this year at all. From team POV, they are competing fora divison title. From a business POV, the Canucks are running 99% attendance after a few down years.

Benning has a fair bit of slack before his job is at risk.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's not an awful trade valuewise for Vancouver. Toffoli got what I expected for the Kings too. It might be seen as short sighted, but the conditional pick being included at least means there's a little interest in keeping Toffoli around.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Dont understand this trade at all??? Nucks acting like they are a Toffoli away to make a run for the cup!

A top 3 prospect in their org. for 2 months of Toffoli + picks thats really bad, the Nucks problem hasnt been goalscoring, its the D with terrible depht, Marky has saved their bacon game after game.

They also have to deal with Tanevs and Markys eventual extensions off season, so if the do sign Toffoli at 6m , wheres the cap to sign the other 2?

The Nucks is n my book the worst team among the teams fighting to clinch, i bet they misses out anyway , only needs some normal goaltending for them to fall like last season!

A top 3 prospect eh, even if that were true your Top 3 body is behind 3 other bodies at center right now and he won't be here for at least another year or two. Where do you get 6 million for Tyler from?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I’d say they are better than the Oilers and Flames. Oilers have no depth and questionable goaltending and are running their two star players into the ground. Flames have some good talent but just not performing this year. I think they get it together. I’d say the Oilers as the weakest likely miss again and the rest is pretty wide open with the Canucks having as good a chance of any of the teams fighting. Markstrom is an elite goalie. This is his new normal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except

Habs are very will positioned to add a star on top of what we already have. I rather draft the star later in the process vs early. What if Suzuki puts up 50-60 pts this year at 20 and improves that to 60-80 next year? That's fringe status to Pettersson don't you think?

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Caufield, Primeau are darn good prospects/young players. And we have a shit load of grade B+ and B's behind them that can surprise here and there. Add a star in one of the next 3 drafts and we are in very good shape.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

spoken like a worried Oiler fan...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad