Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Garland is a great piece providing they don't pay him more than 5-5.5. He could easily pot 30 goals next year alongside Pete or Bo. OEL is about 5 years past his prime and I wish we could have got him for more retention, but he is an upgrade on Edler. Now Benning needs to somehow dump Holtby and Schmidt and get back a low cost right shot dman. And buyout Virtanen.
Garland is a great piece.
The whole OEL trade is just someone (dimjim and/or aquaboy) putting all their remaining chips on red...

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
- Are there comparables to an elite athlete rediscovering his form and rebounding back to his level? Especially at his age? Particularly in hockey? I'm aware that there are players who managed to make adjustments to their game and carve out a longer career or redefine themselves (Yzerman being the prime example), but I'm more interested in knowing if there are any ready examples of a player dramatically bouncing back at 30.

One guy that does come to mind is Edler: Physical, athletic, fast skating defensemen gets into injury trouble, endures a couple of nightmare seasons where he looks completely done, scales back his offensive game and settles into a role as a shutdown d-men.

I mean, I wouldn't bet on it.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I just don’t see Green doing this— I think he will spread the youth with vets. I think Pod will play with Pearson for veteran presence on the third line. Ideally I see Green going with EP Miller and Garland, Boeser Horvat and Hoglander, Pearson and Pod with a third line center to be acquired, and Dickinson with Motte and Highmore/MacEwan.

isnt Dickson expected to get something in the 2-2.5 range….and then we use him as a 4th liner

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
DimJim said today he has no idea why OEL was bad the last couple of years but 5 years ago he was up for Norris votes.

Bennings making the trade on what OEL was, not what he is. That’s pretty scary.

Dim has a bad habit of identifying players years prior, and wanting them at whatever price he needs to pay to get them. No matter the current state of that players play.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If your right then hoglander is going on the third line with Dickson….
Miller-EP-boeser
Pearson-horvat-garland
Podz-Dickson-hogs

idk about if the wingers can flip like this but putting two young guys on the third line with Dickson seems stupid. Or playing them on the fourth is dumb…..

Unless their plan is to trade boeser which would free up cap space
We have a few ways to open up enough space to get a solid 3C.
Bottom 6 of
Hog-3C-Pod
Motte-Dickinson-MacEwan/Gadjovich/Highmore

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Well, I know I’m sold. Incredibly convincing

He just has to beat Father Time, believe in himself once again, be the second coming of Niklas Lidstrom and live up to Benning's billing, obtain Wolverine's mutant healing factor, inspire a plucky group of bums to become a functional D Corps and make Vancouver hockey fans happy.

It's not that hard, dude.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Gotta wait to see how Garland and OEL play with a better team. They haven't played with a more talented squad than the one we have here, guys like Keller, Schmaltz, Doan can't sniff Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat.

I think they'll have an easy team transitioning to our team, but Benning should figure out the right side of defence before the season starts.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Gotta wait to see how Garland and OEL play with a better team. They haven't played with a more talented squad than the one we have here, guys like Keller, Schmaltz, Doan can't sniff Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat.

I think they'll have an easy team transitioning to our team, but Benning should figure out the right side of defence before the season starts.
Chychrun plays on the exact same team and has thrived.

The guy coming along with OEL has played on that same team and played pretty well.

Reactions: timw33

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I was racking my brain because I knew someone did recently and it finally popped into my head that it was Eric Staal.

But it's very, very rare.
Saw Dustin Brown as another example today.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Ok? Garland put up better numbers than Matt Tkachuk. Our top 9 forwards is challenging Vegas, but like I said defence is an issue still.
I have zero issue with Garland, he's not the problem in this deal. The 30 year old making 7M over the next 6 years is.

Also you just made my point for me, Garland on that same apparently wasteland team put up better numbers than Tkachuk and yet OEL gets the bad team excuse for his all-around poor play.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I have zero issue with Garland, he's not the problem in this deal. The 30 year old making 7M over the next 6 years is.

Also you just made my point for me, Garland on that same apparently wasteland team put up better numbers than Tkachuk and yet OEL gets the bad team excuse for his all-around poor play.
OEL's latest PPG season is above his career PPG. I think he's been playing fine and Garland was mentioning how significant he was in the Edmonton Bubble. Chychurn had 0 points against Nashville, OEL had 4. I might re-watch the games to make sure I have a good opinion on what happened.

All I am saying wait and see until September. The defence could use another top 6 RHD and a 4C.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
OEL's latest PPG season is above his career PPG. I think he's been playing fine and Garland was mentioning how significant he was in the Edmonton Bubble. Chychurn had 0 points against Nashville, OEL had 4. I might re-watch the games to make sure I have a good opinion on what happened.
Ask Yotes fans or read their comments from prior to the trade, unfortunately there's more to being an NHL dman than putting up points otherwise Keith Yandle wouldn't have been healthy scratched in the playoffs by the Panthers. Chychrun has been miles better defensively and as an all-around dman.

I was praying that the Flames would trade for OEL before today, would have loved to see a divisional rival get stuck with him.

Reactions: geebaan

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Ehhh. I disagree. Look at the sheer disaster Arizona has been over the past decade. Hell, they just got out of another controversy with Chayka after nearly being relocated how many times? That's a unique sort of pressure not even a Canadian market can replicate. OED won't be expected to be the voice or leader of the Canucks. We already have our core guys.

Does that mean he'll be good? I suppose we'll find out...

Also he won' t be captain.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Garland is a great piece providing they don't pay him more than 5-5.5. He could easily pot 30 goals next year alongside Pete or Bo. OEL is about 5 years past his prime and I wish we could have got him for more retention, but he is an upgrade on Edler. Now Benning needs to somehow dump Holtby and Schmidt and get back a low cost right shot dman. And buyout Virtanen.
Why do you want to get rid of Schmidt? He is the only capable defender when it comes to actual defending. Our top 6 forwards outside, of Petey and Bo, don't really defend well. We will score more but we will also concede more goals. Garland got very soft and sheltered minutes in Arizona to pump his numbers. He is not getting first line minutes here. I always find it strange that OEL is going to rebound but Garland can't regress when he gets fewer minutes and less than 70% O-zone starts.

OEL could not handle the "pressure" in Arizona. :laugh: He is going to be eaten alive here, his every mistake put under the microscope.

If this trade was done 2 years ago when the 3 amigos(Louie,Russel and Beagle) still had 3 years left on the terrible deals Jimbo gave them, it would have been a good trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad