Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Miller EP Boeser
Garland Bo Hog
Pearson Dickenson Pod
Motte ?? ??

Looks like we finally have the semblance of a proper top 6....and the best top 9 we've had in many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebster and bh53

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
What annoys me about this is that there is legit no plan like trading For garland now means we have a 3rd liner in Pearson who can’t skate or be a defensive shutdown player, and our third line center is an offensive black hole so he can’t even support Pearson to try and make a third scoring line.

Like do we even have an identity or is it just throw shit together and hope it works.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, Selanne is more inline with what I'm thinking of. But that was a combination of being able to get surgery and having the added luxury of extended time off thanks to the lockout.

I guess a better question is, how often has a 'change of scenery' really benefited a player and there's been a remarkable turnaround in their play. Because that gets bandied around a lot and I find that it tends to be more wishful thinking than anything else.

I was racking my brain because I knew someone did recently and it finally popped into my head that it was Eric Staal.

But it's very, very rare.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What annoys me about this is that there is legit no plan like trading For garland now means we have a 3rd liner in Pearson who can’t skate or be a defensive shutdown player, and our third line center is an offensive black hole so he can’t even support Pearson to try and make a third scoring line.

Like do we even have an identity or is it just throw shit together and hope it works.

I would honestly be surprised if they break up the Horvat-Pearson combo.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I thought Gio's thing was more that he was a late bloomer/slow to develop, and that his mishaps occurred fairly early in his career, no?
IMO, labeling someone as a 'late bloomer' or 'slow to develop' is a glass half empty way of looking at late growth.
Although the usual mold is usually accurate, Gio is a great example of the ones that do not fit it.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Garland is a great piece providing they don't pay him more than 5-5.5. He could easily pot 30 goals next year alongside Pete or Bo. OEL is about 5 years past his prime and I wish we could have got him for more retention, but he is an upgrade on Edler. Now Benning needs to somehow dump Holtby and Schmidt and get back a low cost right shot dman. And buyout Virtanen.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Ehhh. I disagree. Look at the sheer disaster Arizona has been over the past decade. Hell, they just got out of another controversy with Chayka after nearly being relocated how many times? That's a unique sort of pressure not even a Canadian market can replicate. OED won't be expected to be the voice or leader of the Canucks. We already have our core guys.

Does that mean he'll be good? I suppose we'll find out...
I don’t know how it feels to be recognized in the public but I imagine there will be a lot of pressure once you realize that oh shit, people know I am.
Imagine doing your own thing everyday and having people saying hey good luck next game wherever you go. If you are killing it then yeah it will feel good, if you are not performing, then those encouragement will feel like pressure.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I thought Gio's thing was more that he was a late bloomer/slow to develop, and that his mishaps occurred fairly early in his career, no?
No idea, but he didn’t really breakout until pretty late. I mean it just shows how rare it is. Rafalski is one too I think. Tim Thomas? But these guys are more like neglected rather than rediscovering form.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I really don't think that Podkolzin will be seeing top line action unless he absolutely blows everyone away at training camp/preseason.

And even then, I'd imagine he's going to be on very limited minutes.

I view the move to bring in guys like Dickinson and Garland as hedging their bets a little bit with Podkolzin and giving him some time and space to develop.

I'm more curious as to whether Pearson or Hoglander gets bumped down the lineup. Hoglander and Garland on the same line might not be ideal, although, yes, Hoglander is a pitbull.
Hoglander isnt just a pitbull. Hes a puck controller.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I would honestly be surprised if they break up the Horvat-Pearson combo.

If your right then hoglander is going on the third line with Dickson….
Miller-EP-boeser
Pearson-horvat-garland
Podz-Dickson-hogs

idk about if the wingers can flip like this but putting two young guys on the third line with Dickson seems stupid. Or playing them on the fourth is dumb…..

Unless their plan is to trade boeser which would free up cap space

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I was racking my brain because I knew someone did recently and it finally popped into my head that it was Eric Staal.

But it's very, very rare.

It also doesn't address the concerns you've raised re: his skating/baggage from injuries.

Like, yes, he might regain his confidence, but the body may not be willing.

It's really hard to be optimistic about OEL given:

- his age
- how our idiot GM perceives him and how he sees him being used
- aforementioned injury concerns
- the combination of potential confidence issues & playing in a hockey crazed market
- our general trainwreck that is our backline currently

It's not a good mix of things.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
One problem is it's not just a matter of OEL retaining his form but also him keeping it over the next 6 years. Acquiring OEL now is nearly identical to when we signed Loui Eriksson, who was also 30 years old (I believe) and coming off a 30 goal season. The perception of Eriksson at the time was he should be okay the first few seasons but the latter end of the contract was likely going to be bad.

This is essentially Jim Benning rolling the dice on another long term Loui Eriksson anchor contract to secure his position for the next two seasons.

I agree with you not only is there a risk that OEL simply isn't good, the fact that the contract is still 6 years left that's another risk in itself.

Add to the fact I'm not the biggest fan of Garland, is why I wouldn't have done the trade.

But with that said, when the canucks sign Eriksson we literally took on a bad contract for nothing. Canucks today actually dumped some bad contract to take on OEL's contract. So if OEL can actually play decent, I don't think its "the worst trade" category like some canucks fans reacted.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
IMO, labeling someone as a 'late bloomer' or 'slow to develop' is a glass half empty way of looking at late growth.
Although the usual mold is usually accurate, Gio is a great example of the ones that do not fit it.

Wasn't intending it as a pejorative or a pessimistic take, if that's what you were meaning. Just that Giordano had a different development track than what is usually expected of players. When I say mishap, I thought his story was either being unsatisfied with his role on the Flames and asking to go overseas or something along those lines. I honestly don't know, though, which is strange, because I've always appreciated his story and the path he took to make it in the NHL.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
The Aquilinis deliberately put the gun to Benning's head by giving him a 2 year deal.

MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NOW ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) or you're outta here.

While the owners were holding a gun to Benning's left ear, the current roster players had the gun in his right ear. They believe last year was a total aberration, and they're itching to prove it. Re-tool, rebuild, cap space and patience is not on their agenda.

It doesn't really matter if you agree or disagree with the owners. They want playoff revenue, and sitting around waiting another year for the 3 amigos' cap space to expire is a waste of their time and money.

How will the season ticket holders respond? We shall see. Because of the potential pros and cons, I think this will go down as the most important trade in modern Canucks history.

Reactions: Ozone and Zippgunn

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Just FYI, the Coyotes are retaining 900k of OEL's salary, so his cap hit will be 7.26 million per year for 6 years.

I've seen some people who are confused and think his cap hit will be 7 million, but that's incorrect.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
If your right then hoglander is going on the third line with Dickson….
Miller-EP-boeser
Pearson-horvat-garland
Podz-Dickson-hogs

idk about if the wingers can flip like this but putting two young guys on the third line with Dickson seems stupid. Or playing them on the fourth is dumb…..

Unless their plan is to trade boeser which would free up cap space
I just don’t see Green doing this— I think he will spread the youth with vets. I think Pod will play with Pearson for veteran presence on the third line. Ideally I see Green going with EP Miller and Garland, Boeser Horvat and Hoglander, Pearson and Pod with a third line center to be acquired, and Dickinson with Motte and Highmore/MacEwan.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
OEL 5V5 is rubbish...

This trade is about Dim trying to get another contract extension.

We deserve better. We deserve a club that is building to challenge for a cup.

Reactions: geebaan

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Definitely more on board with this now that I know OEL retained 12%, although think it should have been more like 18.8%

Still would have preferred the 9th overall pick, and let the 3 bad caps run out in 1 year.

But as of now, if they can sign garland to an okay contract, I can deal with this.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Just FYI, the Coyotes are retaining 900k of OEL's salary, so his cap hit will be 7.26 million per year for 6 years.

I've seen some people who are confused and think his cap hit will be 7 million, but that's incorrect.

should have been at least like 3 million retained

Reactions: Nucker101

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
to me its not that bad, if OEL can regain his form.

I think this board is underrating OEL. He doesn't look that bad to me every time I watched him. Imagine if we didn't let Tanev go and sign Schmidt

Hughes - Tanev
OEL - Hamonic
Rathbone- Woo
Imagine why? That looks like shit.

Reactions: geebaan

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
It's Travis Green, the lineup will be:

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Hoglander Horvat Motte
Pearson Sutter Garland
Hawryluk Dickinson MacEwen
Podkolzin-AHL

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Some Canuck fans are in for a rude awakening with OEL, but then again a lot of those same fans think that Tyler Myers isn’t that overpaid so maybe not.

Also stop putting Garland at LW and leaving Hoglander at RW, it makes no sense lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad