Valimaki vs Liljegren vs Foote vs Brannstrom draft +1 review

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Sometimes I remind myself of the great legend of Timothy who played in the NHL as an 13 year old and willed his team to the Cup Finals with 4 elite points (equal to about 35 regular points) in 20 games and won the cup, the Conn smythe and the Vezina.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You couldn't be more wrong, and this is from someone who watched a lot of marlies games. People really need to chill on the Liljegren winning the calder cup hype. IMO, they would have won it without him, he didn't really have a significant impact. He played sheltered minutes most of the season, but in those minutes, I'll agree he shows great glimpses of his potential. He's raw, and with the right confidence I'm sure he can put it together. The most relied upon D-men that whole calder run were Holl, Dermott, Marincin, Rosen.

There's no doubt in my mind that someone like Brannstrom or Valimaki could have done the same. Regardless, I am also very high on Liljegren, don't have me wrong.

My rankings personally:
Brannstrom
Liljegren
Valimaki
Foote

It’s fair to say Liljegren had the best draft+1 season, but I agree that any talk of tiers is way premature and that the poster you quoted went over the top with his analysis.

It wasn’t surprising to see the coach lean on vets like Rosen and Dermott in the last 7 games of the playoffs, I think any AHL coach does the same with the Calder Cup on the line.

Reactions: AuraSphere

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Yep, Rosen and, surprisingly to me, Marincin were the top Dmen in the playoffs. Liljegren was indeed sheltered, though that’s what the Marlies do with young prospects. They did it with Nylander, for example, when they brought him across partway through his D + 1 season. Nylander was a tier above Liljegren as a prospect. But the fact remains, Liljegren was on the ice for a top team when it counted.

And no, it doesn’t mean he is the best prospect just that he is making very satisfactory progress

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Let’s not get carried away. Liljegren scored 1 goal in 44 AHL games. That’s hardly insane.
He’s got some great tools but as others have said he was not the 2nd best defenseman on the Marlies.
And an individual player doesn’t win the Calder Cup. A solid rookie season but certainly not in a separate tier from the others.
Didn't know goal scoring was the primary measure of a D prospects progression.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If you're touted as an offensive Dman and drafted as one, some goals should be expected?
Perhaps you should watch the kid play. Played great this year with a primary focus on the defensive end, dispelling all the pre and post draft BS about having a low hockey IQ and only being an offensive d-man. Expect his already good offensive numbers for an 18 year old in AHL to jump this season as the leash is loosened.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If you're touted as an offensive Dman and drafted as one, some goals should be expected?

Brannstrom is an offensive defenceman, he scored just 2 goals in the SHL all year (season and playoffs combined), and 0 goals for the Swedish NT.

That’s how it goes with 18 year old defencemen playing in top professional leagues.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
E
Brannstrom is an offensive defenceman, he scored just 2 goals in the SHL all year (season and playoffs combined), and 0 goals for the Swedish NT.

That’s how it goes with 18 year old defencemen playing in top professional leagues.
Even Urho Vaakanainen, a defensive defenseman scored 4 goals in Liiga last season.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Valimaki
Foote/Brannstrom
Liljegren

These 4 have all done more or less what was expected of them this year, no one exceeded expecations or fell below them (maybe Brannstrom, a little bit). Valimaki always had the most upside and can be a top pairing guy. The others are less clear. Liljegren has hardly dispelled hockey sense concerns and the lack thereof will continue to limit him both offensively and defensively. He was unproductive and a good role player in the AHL as a D+1, which was what would be expected of him as a A- prospect with mature physical tools such as skating ability.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Valimaki
Foote/Brannstrom
Liljegren

These 4 have all done more or less what was expected of them this year, no one exceeded expecations or fell below them (maybe Brannstrom, a little bit). Valimaki always had the most upside and can be a top pairing guy. The others are less clear. Liljegren has hardly dispelled hockey sense concerns and the lack thereof will continue to limit him both offensively and defensively. He was unproductive and a good role player in the AHL as a D+1, which was what would be expected of him as a A- prospect with mature physical tools such as skating ability.

Improved hockey sense is exactly what Liljegren did display this year, as those of us who have actually seen him play will know. And playing as a regular in the AHL as a D+ 1 defenseman is definitely not what would be expected of a prospect. Only a small group has done so and, as it happens, Liljegren was actually the most productive of that small sample. By the way, one D+ 1 dman who could have been assigned to the AHL but wasn’t, is Brannstrom. Doc, if you are a doc, you’re engaging in posting malpractice.

Last edited:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Valimaki
Foote/Brannstrom
Liljegren

Very good ranking imo. This is how I see it as well. Valimaki is being seriously underrated in this thread.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I would just like to point out that Kylington had arguably a more impressive rookie season in the AHL at a younger age than Liljegren and never got the respect he deserved but just because Liljegren played in the AHL this season automatically puts him ahead of the other prospects?

Strange

Reactions: Thetruthteller

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Perhaps you should watch the kid play. Played great this year with a primary focus on the defensive end, dispelling all the pre and post draft BS about having a low hockey IQ and only being an offensive d-man. Expect his already good offensive numbers for an 18 year old in AHL to jump this season as the leash is loosened.

It really annoys me when people say he's great in the defensive zone.. He's a great prospect and wouldn't be suprised if he becomes one of the best defensemen out of this draft, but let's tone it down a little. Positionally Liljegren is way too inconsistent in the defensive zone, he'll always give people the illusion of being sound defensivly by going for pinches and having a great stick but that's about it. And honestly his pinches are terrible at times aswell, just bad timings. These are things he'll get better at but to say that he's already great defensively is quite dishonest.

What Liljegren does very well though is the first pass and he's ability to avoid forecheck, attackers seem to have a hard time getting the puck off him in the defensive zone. Because of his vision i have no doubt that he'll improve his positioning aswell.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

HC7

May 2, 2018
Lmao Durzi had a better season than Valimaki and Foote, give me a break.

Liljegren/Brannstrom

Foote/Valimaki

HC7

May 2, 2018
It really annoys me when people say he's great in the defensive zone.. He's a great prospect and wouldn't be suprised if he becomes one of the best defensemen out of this draft, but let's tone it down a little. Positionally Liljegren is way too inconsistent in the defensive zone, he'll always give people the illusion of being sound defensivly by going for pinches and having a great stick but that's about it. And honestly his pinches are terrible at times aswell, just bad timings. These are things he'll get better at but to say that he's already great defensively is quite dishonest.

What Liljegren does very well though is the first pass and he's ability to avoid forecheck, attackers seem to have a hard time getting the puck off him in the defensive zone. Because of his vision i have no doubt that he'll improve his positioning aswell.

You haven't watched the Marlies at all if that's what you think of him defensively. He was like that in the first part of the season when he was putting up big points. The rest of the season he was amazing defensively, and his points dropped off. He also had one of the highest Corsi % on the team.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Overstating Liljegren’s performance does him no favours. I’m for realistic appraisals of my own team’s prospects. It’s too early to tell how he will perform In the NHL compared to the other three prospects. But it’s not unrealistic to say that his progress in his D + 1 year has been very satisfactory, especially with respect to greater hockey sense.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
E

Even Urho Vaakanainen, a defensive defenseman scored 4 goals in Liiga last season.

Vaakanainen isn’t really/wasn’t always considered a defensive D. And the problem with taking that comparison at face value is that Liiga, while having pretty good competition overall isn’t on the level of the AHL or SHL. This is even more true since they lost Jokerit to the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad