Valimaki vs Liljegren vs Foote vs Brannstrom draft +1 review

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Foote is a tier Below
:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Didn't Foote win WHL defenseman of the year over Valimaki
Didn't foote also put up better Offensive numbers over Valimaki
Wasn't Foote awarded 1st -all star selection, while Valimaki got the 3rd all star team.
Slightly better offensive numbers, sure, but it's a little silly to argue awards when one player was injured for 1/3 of the season and the other was not.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Be interesting to really look at them next season.
2 played junior, 2 played in men's leagues. Valimaki's going pro next season, safe to say Foote likely should as well.

I think there's not much separating any of them at this time. Liljegren and Brannstrom played in a men's secondary leagues, but were deeper Dmen (I.E neither was used as a the teams' all purpose 1D); I could be wrong for Brannstrom (but at least statistically this is what it says), while the other two were big dogs in the WHL (1D's).

If anyone's putting anyone above or below here, they're talking out of their ass; if there's separation between any of them, it's paper thin.

Reactions: Raymoondo

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Valimaki wasnt good during the world Juniors.

He was the weakest link of Finlands top 4.
Juolevi and Joker outplayed Heiskanen and Maki quite a lot early on to take over the top pairing duties and 1st unit PP.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Every outlet has Liljegren dropping. He struggled in the AHL and couldn't produce at even strength all season.

He is below all of them at this point.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Valimaki wasnt good during the world Juniors.

He was the weakest link of Finlands top 4.
Juolevi and Joker outplayed Heiskanen and Maki quite a lot early on to take over the top pairing duties and 1st unit PP.
He sat out for like a month or two after the WJC so it's safe to say he wasn't 100%.

Honestly though he was only bad in the last 2 games and he was good early on.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His own head hahha

He can’t stand a leafs prospect doing well, kid just won the Calder cup and was a key memeber of the D. That’s remarkable for a 18 year old on a team as deep as the Marlies.
Don't worry, it won't be the first time he's heavily doubted a Swedish kid on the Toronto Marlies and was shown to be completely incorrect. Just look up any previous Sam Bennett thread that involved Nylander.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Jokiharju was chosen later because defensively he was a bit behind the other 5 D in that 14-18 range. He does have great offensive skills though.

Interesting. My impression from watching him D-1 year was quite the opposite. I felt he played quite conservatively, not taking much risk offensively and focussed on defense. Thought he did quite well defensively too, except not always having the strength to win the physical battles.

Reactions: Castle8130

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Interesting. My impression from watching him D-1 year was quite the opposite. I felt he played quite conservatively, not taking much risk offensively and focussed on defense. Thought he did quite well defensively too, except not always having the strength to win the physical battles.

If you mean his draft year, I remember him being a little gunshy in the first few weeks with Portland, which I felt was to do with adjusting to the smaller ice and the North American game. His offense clicked shortly after that, but defensively he was not one of the top prospects in the 2017 draft. I feel this is why he didn’t make the Finnish WJC team, and why he want taken until the late first round. Size did probably have something to soneihbit too, and if he keeps hitting the gym I think this is very correctable as the kid has decent height and a good frame.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What has said about Liljegren

"A skilled offensive defenseman with excellent skating skills. The way he combines his speed with strong puck handling skills makes him a quite spectacular player to watch"

"He should become a high scoring defenseman thanks to his hockey sense, quick release and strong passing game"

-- Played total of 64 games in the AHL, scored 1 goal and added 20 assists. --

Thou i have to give him some credit, he is only 19 years old and everyone should already know this;
it takes years from Swedes to reach up to their potential, especially if you are a Swedish d-man.

3-4 years from now, i'm sure he'll be scoring 10+ goals and 50+ points.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Jokiharju was chosen later because defensively he was a bit behind the other 5 D in that 14-18 range. He does have great offensive skills though.
The complete opposite. He had all the correct defensive tools as a smaller dman, and was superior in defensive hockey sense. I watched him the entire year and he was one of the best defensive defenseman in his draft year. Foote was another defender that had all the right defensive tools. His ability to produce was very questionable because he only had 48 points in 71 games and 3 points in 11 playoff games. He was also not playing an offensive minded style of play that a lot of good defensemen do. Now he has proven that he can produce at the next level and tbh I wouldn't take any of these defenders over jokiharju. I think we hit the jackpot with that pick. I also think Connor Timmins was another great early second round pick.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
What has said about Liljegren

"A skilled offensive defenseman with excellent skating skills. The way he combines his speed with strong puck handling skills makes him a quite spectacular player to watch"

"He should become a high scoring defenseman thanks to his hockey sense, quick release and strong passing game"

-- Played total of 64 games in the AHL, scored 1 goal and added 20 assists. --

Thou i have to give him some credit, he is only 19 years old and everyone should already know this;
it takes years from Swedes to reach up to their potential, especially if you are a Swedish d-man.

3-4 years from now, i'm sure he'll be scoring 10+ goals and 50+ points.

Idk why people keep talking like Liljegren is some offensive stud. Button was right when he said he's more of a two-way guy that is solid defensively and can move the puck well. He's not going to be a big time point scorer but that label has followed him around.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
We all have an opinion, but I dont agree with this. Foote progressed very well this year. To be honest, as a Canucks fan, I am not sure who I'd prefer we trade for if given an option of Liljegren or Foote.
Yzerman & Dubas:
anigif_enhanced-10965-1460854593-5.gif

I'd rank them like this:

1. Foote - he may not be the best, or not even average fantasy league defenseman, and I think some of underrating is fantasy league goggles. I think out of the list he is most likely to make it in the NHL in top 4 role. Was not sold on him at the draft, but I am warming up.
2. Liljegren - bit of a mess, but what a freaking toolbox! A risky pick for sure but the payoff can be something along the lines of PK Subban (who was also hot mess at this age).
3. Brannstrom - do not really have any rational issues with him other than the size. But I have a gut feeling he has peaked.
4. Valimaki - do not like his skating or decision making.
Mess? What? He got the Babcock-Reilly treatment being told to play it safe and learn the defensive side of the game this season. Expect his scoring to shoot up next season
Every outlet has Liljegren dropping. He struggled in the AHL and couldn't produce at even strength all season.

He is below all of them at this point.
I love the uninformed

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The complete opposite. He had all the correct defensive tools as a smaller dman, and was superior in defensive hockey sense. I watched him the entire year and he was one of the best defensive defenseman in his draft year. Foote was another defender that had all the right defensive tools. His ability to produce was very questionable because he only had 48 points in 71 games and 3 points in 11 playoff games. He was also not playing an offensive minded style of play that a lot of good defensemen do. Now he has proven that he can produce at the next level and tbh I wouldn't take any of these defenders over jokiharju. I think we hit the jackpot with that pick. I also think Connor Timmins was another great early second round pick.

Not saying he was bad defensively, but the 5 D taken 12-15 spots ahead of him were considered better in that regard at the time of the draft.

My statement about his offence was clearly about the current player, who is very good in the offensive zone at the Junior level.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Any discussion of Liljegren's season never brings up that he scored 17 regular season points and 4 in the playoffs. He's also scored just ONE goal. Now I know it's not easy to produce in the AHL especially as a teenager but I don't think he gets to take the proven crown. I'd still easily take Valimaki of this group.

Interesting choice, as Valimaki was outplayed by Foote in the WHL. Foote was outplayed by Liljegren in the AHL.

That said, I still feel all of these guys are really close as NHL prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->