Valimaki vs Liljegren vs Foote vs Brannstrom draft +1 review

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
When Liljegren started dropping 2017 draft, I thought the flames were going to snap him up, but they went with Valimaki instead and the the Leafs got him in the next round. As such, I've become interested in how these players match up head to head and am curious about other fans opinions, they're tough to compare head to head as they've always played in different leagues: Valimaki spent his Draft+1 as PPG two-way #1 defenseman on team that made to the 3rd round in the WHL playoffs, Liljegren got 17 points in 44 season games and 4 points in 20 playoff games with the AHL champions.

Draft +1 stats seem to favour Lilegren, but I can't really comment in any detail on how his season went. Valimaki is noticeably bigger which may tip things in his favour in the long term: Liljegren is a little undersized for a defender @ 6'0, 190 lbs, Valimaki is average sized @ 6'2, 204 lbs.

Foote and Brannstrom were also picked right before these guys, so if anyone wants to weigh in on how those 2 guys compare I'd love to hear it.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Liljegren
Brannstrom
Valimaki
Foote

Real hard for the top 3 but I think Liljegren played in a tougher league and didnt look at all for an 18 year-old rookie so I give him the edge above the other 2.

Foote was easiest to rank

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Liljegren
Brannstrom
Valimaki
Foote

Real hard for the top 3 but I think Liljegren played in a tougher league and didnt look at all for an 18 year-old rookie so I give him the edge above the other 2.

Foote was easiest to rank

We all have an opinion, but I dont agree with this. Foote progressed very well this year. To be honest, as a Canucks fan, I am not sure who I'd prefer we trade for if given an option of Liljegren or Foote.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Some of the people on here, man.

Foote is clearly the best of the bunch in my eyes. Now, potential is always debateable, and a strong case for Liljegren can be made, but to say Foote is a tier below is just outrageous, considering that he is clearly ahead of Valimaki to at least a certain degree at this point.

Reactions: Fixxer and Mrb1p

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I'd rank them like this:

1. Foote - he may not be the best, or not even average fantasy league defenseman, and I think some of underrating is fantasy league goggles. I think out of the list he is most likely to make it in the NHL in top 4 role. Was not sold on him at the draft, but I am warming up.
2. Liljegren - bit of a mess, but what a freaking toolbox! A risky pick for sure but the payoff can be something along the lines of PK Subban (who was also hot mess at this age).
3. Brannstrom - do not really have any rational issues with him other than the size. But I have a gut feeling he has peaked.
4. Valimaki - do not like his skating or decision making.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Foote is a tier Below
:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Didn't Foote win WHL defenseman of the year over Valimaki
Didn't foote also put up better Offensive numbers over Valimaki
Wasn't Foote awarded 1st -all star selection, while Valimaki got the 3rd all star team.

Well Foote did play on a stacked Kelowna team. And Valimaki was captain for Finland while Foote played a lesser role for Canada.

It’s honestly pretty difficult to judge defencemen until they start playing pro. And my guess is that anyone that says they know who is better, is talking out of their ass

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Foote outplayed Valimaki in the same league, but that said I still view Valimaki as the superior prospect (which is how I viewed him at the draft), if that makes sense.

Ranked in terms of draft+1 seasons:

Liljegren
Brannstrom
Foote
Valimaki

All are real close as prospects now too. Foote was phenomenal in junior but then hit a couple snags in his short stint at the AHL level, where Liljegren had the better numbers and smoother performances. Brannstrom is up there too with a decent SHL season.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I'd rank them like this:

1. Foote - he may not be the best, or not even average fantasy league defenseman, and I think some of underrating is fantasy league goggles. I think out of the list he is most likely to make it in the NHL in top 4 role. Was not sold on him at the draft, but I am warming up.
2. Liljegren - bit of a mess, but what a freaking toolbox! A risky pick for sure but the payoff can be something along the lines of PK Subban (who was also hot mess at this age).
3. Brannstrom - do not really have any rational issues with him other than the size. But I have a gut feeling he has peaked.

Liljegren really stabilized his game in the AHL and was one of the best defensive defenders on the AHL champs. The only reason why his offensive totals were lower is because he had fewer opportunities playing on a veteran AHL team. Next season he could explode. No question he has the biggest upside of the four mentioned.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Foote is a tier Below
Wasn't Foote awarded 1st -all star selection, while Valimaki got the 3rd all star team.
Valimaki missed almost half a season so he was never going to win Dman of the year.
Very slightly better numbers (PPG) and only 5 more goals while playing 17 more games.
Valimaki had better playoffs

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I'd rank them like this:

This is hilarious. Brännström peaked at 19? Alright, "web forum-expert"

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Instead of listing them, I'll just compare them stylistically.

Liljegren>Brannstrom
Foote>Valimaki

That being said, the difference is barely anything IMO.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's really tough to judge players when they play in different leagues. And we have seen players being stars in the AHL that don't have the tools to be even marginal NHLers.
Believe six Dman were picked in row in 2017 draft. Be interesting what their ranking is 15 years from now.
Watching Liljegren this season, he really upped his game after February. Still at least a season away from the NHL, but can understand why Leafs are excited about his potential .

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Foote is a tier Below
Yeah.. Thats just ridiculous...

Brannstrom
Foote
Valimaki
Liljlegren

for me.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->