Raptors Discussion: v95|Masai's back! The panic and dread can now end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
NBA rules and policies on salaries are mind numbing. On the outside I’d be happy to get any asset back for someone leaving anyways.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
1st from Dallas and Miami for Dragic and Lowry
Okpala and Achiuwa from MIA they're 22 and years old and very good defenders.

That would give Raptors 3 1st round picks to play with for this upcoming year and a bench mob of Barnes/Trent/Achiuwa/Okpala is pretty solid

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
1st from Dallas and Miami for Dragic and Lowry
Okpala and Achiuwa from MIA they're 22 and years old and very good defenders.

That would give Raptors 3 1st round picks to play with for this upcoming year and a bench mob of Barnes/Trent/Achiuwa/Okpala is pretty solid

Doubt we'd get a 1st from Dallas for Dragic. They know we'd be looking to dump his contract.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I see re. Cap space now. And now I’m intrigued why they didn’t trade him at the deadline? Same reason? Looking for cap space? Or is this a matter of KL calling the shots?

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I see re. Cap space now. And now I’m intrigued why they didn’t trade him at the deadline? Same reason? Looking for cap space? Or is this a matter of KL calling the shots?

They took offers on him. They didn't like them.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kyle Lowry is the first domino for the Raptors in free agency | The Star

The best move would be to re-sign Lowry, to ink Gary Trent Jr. to a long-term deal (like Lowry, Trent is Toronto’s own free agent and the money is not an issue) and spend the mid-level exception to address needs at centre. That would leave a core of Lowry, Fred VanVleet, Trent, Malachi Flynn, OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam, first-round draft pick Scottie Barnes and Chris Boucher develop.

But it’s not all up to the Raptors because if Lowry wants to move on, he will.

That’s where it gets complicated.

And for as good as team president Masai Ujiri and general manager Bobby Webster have been with draft picks, their free-agent record is spotty. None of their last four signings — Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Stanley Johnson in 2019, DeAndre Bembry and Aron Baynes in 2020 — had any significant impact and the front office can’t miss like that again.

The big men available — and, as always, money and other offers will come into play — are the likes of Sacramento’s Richaun Holmes, Cleveland’s Jarrett Allen, Houston’s Kelly Olynyk and the Knicks’ Nerlens Noel.

That’s probably how they should be ranked, given the players’ circumstances and the likelihood Toronto could get them. None are all-star calibre and most wouldn’t be too costly but making the right choice, and convincing the right choice to come, is paramount. After whiffing on two straight summers, a third bad one in a row would be a setback.

Trent is the other wild card under Raptors control. If the Raptors keep Lowry, they basically have to keep Trent because of the financial restraints they’ll be under with only the mid-level exception to fill a handful of roster spots.

But if Lowry goes for no return, there might be a shooting guard like Charlotte’s Malik Monk who would be attractive and gettable, while still leaving Toronto to fill its frontcourt hole.

It doesn’t make much sense to spend a ton of money on a point guard to replace Lowry if he goes, given the presence of VanVleet and Flynn and the need to fill other gaps in the roster.

Bringing back two of Khem Birch, Yuta Watanabe, Freddy Gillespie and Bembry is a logical way to round out the roster but their salaries won’t have a great impact on the larger free agency picture and getting those deals done is not a priority.

The first domino is Lowry and everything will stem from what happens with him.

He will have legitimate suitors. Miami, Dallas and New Orleans — likely in that order — would be attractive destinations and all could clear cap space to make a serious run at him.

Philadelphia is another possibility but that would take a sign-and-trade transaction that would hard-cap the Sixers, who have the Ben Simmons mess to clean up as well.

There will be a level of collaboration between the Raptors and Lowry if he wants to leave, but only to a degree.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Doubt we'd get a 1st from Dallas for Dragic. They know we'd be looking to dump his contract.

Dragic will have good value at the deadline regardless - a good player on an expiring contract will have a lot of teams interested.

We'd easily be able to get a 1st (probably more) for him then if we're out of the playoff picture.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The MIA sign and trade sounds like a tidy bit of business if you can flip all of Dragic.
How projectable are the MIA kids? Good defenders at C and SG are nice pieces for this development team.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If the deal with Miami happens, are we holding the best available upgrade at PG, in Dragic?

Does it give us leverage between Dallas and New Orleans, where we can take the best offered asset?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NBA Sources: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan Emerge as Pivotal Dominoes | Bleacher Report

All eyes remain trained on Kyle Lowry’s future as the NBA’s free-agency period readies to open at 6 p.m. ET on Monday. Word around the league, at this juncture, is clearly pointing toward the All-Star guard joining Jimmy Butler and the Miami Heat via a sign-and-trade with Toronto. The Heat are also expected to sign Butler to a lucrative contract extension, sources told B/R.

Lowry and Butler have been known to be close dating back to their shared experience with Team USA during the 2016 Olympics. And the moment Miami picked up Goran Dragic’s $19.4 million team option for the 2021-22 season, league personnel began to pencil Lowry into South Beach. “It’s so indicative of a sign-and-trade incoming,” said one Western Conference executive.

Dragic appears likely to head to Toronto in such an agreement, which sources around the league expect to include Precious Achiuwa. There is a belief among rival executives that both Dragic and Achiuwa could be rerouted elsewhere in subsequent trades.
And while the Heat still seem focused on finding a path to bring on DeMar DeRozan as well, that does not sound like a requirement for Lowry to join Miami.

There’s an expectation that Gary Trent Jr., whom Toronto traded Powell for at the deadline, will return to the Raptors on a three-year deal worth north of $50 million.

Last edited:

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
If we can flip Lowry to the Heat for Dragic, Achiuwa and draft capital (A first) and THEN flip Dragic for more draft capital that would be a tidy bit of business for Masai and co. and absolutely the best we can do considering the circumstances.

A first from Dallas mayyyy be optimistic and I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Dragic and flipping him at the deadline (his value will be more then you would assume) however if they are somewhat confident they can entice Allen then by all means you dump that cap now.

Regardless of what happens we all need to be thankful for the fact that we have the BEST management in the league. We aren't there yet but if we can retool here we can position ourselves for another run in the next 2-3 years...........solid work.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
What I would like Masai to pull off if possible,

To Toronto-
Dragic
Precious
1st round pick

To Miami-
Lowry

Then flip Dragic to Dallas for 1st round pick

Then offer to Oklahoma

To Toronto-
SGA

To Oklahoma-
Siakam
Miami 1st round pick

Then sign Allan

SGA
FVV
GTJ
OG
Allan

Bench
Flynn
Harris
Barnes
Boucher
Birch

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
What I would like Masai to pull off if possible,

To Toronto-
Dragic
Precious
1st round pick

To Miami-
Lowry

Then flip Dragic to Dallas for 1st round pick

Then offer to Oklahoma

To Toronto-
SGA

To Oklahoma-
Siakam
Miami 1st round pick

Then sign Allan

SGA
FVV
GTJ
OG
Allan

Bench
Flynn
Harris
Barnes
Boucher
Birch
no matter how much i want SGA, no way OKC goes for that. throw in barnes and they might bite. SGA is gonna get ALOT back if hes traded.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
This is not the send off for Lowry I wanted. 1 last home game would have been nice. Place will be nuts when the Heat visit us.

As for the business side of things, it looks like Precious will be in the deal which is good with me. If we could get a 1st as well i'd be over the moon.

The Dragic part is weird because he kills our cap space if we keep him. Basically the return would have to offset say, the potential loss of acquiring Allen. Or we could just flip Dragic like some have said but i'd hope Masai has something lined up.

Going to be a fun night/week regardless.

Reactions: stickty111

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don’t see any way that Dragic stays. Would be nice to get a little bidding war between the Mavs and Pels going, and see what we can come away with

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad