Raptors Discussion: v95|Masai's back! The panic and dread can now end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My head understands that Lowry has to leave if he wants one more shot at glory because this Raptors squad isn't going to be ready again for a couple years. I do understand and do not begrudge him for doing it.

But damn, my heart hurts at knowing this is almost certain to happen. He is the Raptors. More than anyone in the team's history.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
My head understands that Lowry has to leave if he wants one more shot at glory because this Raptors squad isn't going to be ready again for a couple years. I do understand and do not begrudge him for doing it.

But damn, my heart hurts at knowing this is almost certain to happen. He is the Raptors. More than anyone in the team's history.
i want dallas to get him..^%$# miami. but ye gonna be sad seeing him in a different uni.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014

Interesting, seems like Dragic wouldn’t need to be released, but could be included as part of a 3 way trade somewhere else. Would also backup the earlier tweet made about the Raptors preparing to have cap space to spend if they expect to get rid of Dragic salary.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Interesting, seems like Dragic wouldn’t need to be released, but could be included as part of a 3 way trade somewhere else. Would also backup the earlier tweet made about the Raptors preparing to have cap space to spend if they expect to get rid of Dragic salary.

Prescious and draft capital from the Heat, as well as a pick from Dallas for example for Dragic would be quite a tidy bit of business as well.

God, we are so lucky to have Masai and Webster.

Masai’s contract would technically expire tomorrow evening as well right?

I still think he’s quietly signed a new deal

Reactions: VancouverJagger

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

I'm at peace with it. Lord knows he gave us everything he had.

It will certainly be weird seeing him a different jersey. But i can't wait to be at his first game back in Toronto so i can cry like a baby and blame it on hay fever.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
So if it is Miami sounds like Dragic, Achiuwa and a 1st(?)

Hopefully we can get Okpala, Masai loves his Africans and hes a 2 way terror. Move Dragic to a team like Dallas for a pick. And the team still has 35ish M to resign Trent and get a FA.

PG Dinwiddie(?) / Flynn
SG FVV / Trent / Okpala
SF OG / Barnes
PF Siakam / Freddie
C Boucher / Achiuwa

That team is a nightmare defensively. Some questions about shooting.
Allen would be the other option other than Dinwiddie.

Reactions: razor ray

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kyle Lowry's departure from Raptors seems more certain by the minute - Sportsnet.ca

From the Raptors' point of view, they seem ready to lean into a new future and different timelines. Their focus is on building a winning team around their core of 20-somethings while hoping that just turned 20-year-old Scottie Barnes, taken fourth overall last week, can evolve quickly enough to help in that cause.

It’s not that they believe they’re better off without Lowry but as long as he’s a Raptor, it will be hard for the existing team to take its new form.

“Fred, Pascal, OG they’re not the bench mob anymore, they’re [five and] six-year vets, as long as Kyle is around there’s always going to be a little brother thing going on,” was how one source close to the organization put it.

And while the Raptors understand Lowry’s value better than anyone, they don’t feel this is the time to try to compete if other teams are willing to guarantee the 35-year-old three seasons for as much as $90 million.

Meanwhile, Lowry is trying to thread the needle on what will be his last major contract, one that will likely take him through his 18th NBA season and push his career earnings up and over $275 million.

He wants his money -- “it’s a big ask and it should be,” said one league insider -- but he wants a chance to win and he wants to do it somewhere he’ll be happy to live with his family.

Miami -- just a year removed from the NBA Finals and always in win-now mode, it seems -- checks pretty much every box.

The Raptors would then have the option of trading Dragic -- possibly to one of the teams that missed out on Lowry -- or simply buying out the Slovenian veteran and regaining some cap space.

Why would the Raptors be so accommodating?

Perhaps they could lean on the Heat to throw in second-year centre Precious Achiuwa or third-year wing KZ Okpala, both of whom are representing Nigeria at the Olympics, which can’t hurt their standing in the eyes of Ujiri.

Of course, Lowry isn’t the Raptors' only concern in free agency.

The fate of fourth-year guard Gary Trent Jr. is up in the air. He’s a restricted free agent so the Raptors control his fate, but given he’s represented by Rich Paul -- no stranger to driving a hard bargain on behalf of his clients at Klutch –- it shouldn’t be a surprise if the Raptors get tested to some degree.

According to league sources, the sharp-shooting wing could be looking for a deal in the range of $50-plus million over three years.

The Raptors would likely want to do something cheaper, but if there is $17-$18 million a year in the marketplace for a 22-year-old who has averaged double-digits in scoring and 39 per cent from three on a high volume of attempts, they might have their hand forced.

The Raptors' biggest need in free agency is to fill their vacant centre position and do it better than they did last season when they started training camp with Alex Len and Aaron Baynes as the projected platoon.

The Raptors would be open to bring back Khem Birch at the right number and Kings free agent centre Richaun Holmes has long been thought a Raptors target. But according to sources, the Raptors might be looking at the trade market to shore up their void in the middle, with the Kings working hard to re-sign Holmes who is believed to be looking for a deal comparable to Myles Turner’s $80 million over four years. That’s not to say he’ll get it, but just to point out that Holmes is looking to cash in.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Guys please forgive my stupidity but who the hell is GTJ?
Gary Trent Jr.

Gary Trent Jr. | Toronto Raptors | NBA.com

1629018.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes