Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Outside of maybe Jalen Green and Cunningham, I'm not sure anyone in this draft has a realistic ceiling of being a top 5 player in the league you need to build a title team around. Those are such elusive pieces but are essential to any title team in the modern NBA. Now, occasionally they get found outside the top 3 (Giannia, Kawhi, Curry, and Dirk being the most recent examples).
with this pick i just see us as tweeners, a low seed with no real shot. and if lowry is gone have FVV and flynn running the point thats very bad. anyways, im not a professional, they will get the benefit of the doubt from me once im over the shock of it all...i just hope we go full rebuild now since barnes wont likely have an impact for around 3 years imo.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Barnes is generally described as a point guard type player in a 6'9 frame with tremendous playmaking ability, penetration, athleticism, defensive presence, and he scores the majority of his points in the paint.

If he can become an outside scoring threat and improve his free throws, we could have a perennial all star in a few years.
agreed, but his shot is REALLY ugly...thats a BIG gamble with this high of a pick.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I fixed it for you because I watched every game last season, and pretty much every game of every season going back to the Oliver Miller and Zan Tabak days.
You sound like a bootlicker… I literally said they know more than any of us and earned our trust, doesn’t mean questionable decisions can’t be questioned.

Sure question away..........I'm rolling with Masai......yeah I'm a fanboy.......lol. We are lucky to have him. How does our future look if he's not here?

I can more than get on board with this. I personally was never too excited about Suggs. He's a solid player and I'm confident he could have a very good career. However when you compare him athletically to Scottie Barnes there's little doubt there (yes I know Suggs is a multi sport athlete and uber talented - physically he can't compete with a 6"9 guy with a 7 foot wingspan).

If we can get his shot on point - he could be a top 10 player in this league. Do you see the same upside in Suggs? (I admit it's close but I will take a Kwahi Leonard over a Chris Paul every time - to each their own i suppose).

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah, he's great. Not sure he's someone I'd take #4 in this draft though

You draft BPA and whoever has the highest ceiling. Barnes is probably that guy. If Barnes was already a very good shooter he's probably being talked about being a top 3 pick easily. A lot of players in the NBA were known as being not the greatest shooters in college and then became pretty good ones in the NBA. Good shooters in college became average or not so good shooters once drafted.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Draft isnt over, free agency has yet to begin and the entire offseason is ahead of us. There is more changes coming to this team... Could be major, could be minor. Im happy management went with who they wanted. Instantly Barnes is my favorite NBA player plus his shot will be alot better than expected and he can handle the ball... People are upset we didn't follow the mock drafts. We could have just got Ben Simmons with a shot...
i hear ya, i really do want them to go rebuild now though. if they trade siakam and do a mini rebuild i will be happier. and while i hpe the bolded is true thats not even close to being a guarantee, its a huge gamble..they know more about the game than me so lets hope they didnt f*** this up. i have faith...its mainly just draft night reaction and i will come around more in time lol.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Not sure why people think that Raps are just going for "fit" or whatever. They obviously think Barnes has the most upside. Masai always swings for the fences. Let's see if it pays off

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
i hear ya, i really do want them to go rebuild now though. if they trade siakam and do a mini rebuild i will be happier. and while i hpe the bolded is true thats not even close to being a guarantee, its a huge gamble..they know more about the game than me so lets hope they didnt f*** this up. i have faith...its mainly just draft night reaction and i will come around more in time lol.

Just have faith that the management team here is years ahead of the management team of the blue and white. We're in good hands.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Sure question away..........I'm rolling with Masai......yeah I'm a fanboy.......lol. We are lucky to have him. How does our future look if he's not here?

I can more than get on board with this. I personally was never too excited about Suggs. He's a solid player and I'm confident he could have a very good career. However when you compare him athletically to Scottie Barnes there's little doubt there (yes I know Suggs is a multi sport athlete and uber talented - physically he can't compete with a 6"9 guy with a 7 foot wingspan).

If we can get his shot on point - he could be a top 10 player in this league. Do you see the same upside in Suggs? (I admit it's close but I will take a Kwahi Leonard over a Chris Paul every time - to each their own i suppose).
Personally I would’ve approached it differently if not sold on Suggs. Honestly they should’ve just paid the piper and moved up to get Mobley. I don’t think they expect to be anywhere near the lotto again and could afford to spend the assets to swap up.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Personally I would’ve approached it differently if not sold on Suggs. Honestly they should’ve just paid the piper and moved up to get Mobley. I don’t think they expect to be anywhere near the lotto again and could afford to spend the assets to swap up.

Yes all things considered I will take the big man (Mobley) every time and pay assets to get him howevvvver ........................at what cost? The four and? Siakam? OG? Awfully steep price to pay to move up one spot.

Unless it's future the 4 and a future 1st and perhaps a second I am not doing this......even though I certainly wouldn't have been upset if we got him. Masai missed out on Giannis and you know he would have loved Mobley.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Raptors select Scottie Barnes 4th overall in 2021 NBA Draft - Yahoo! Sports

The Toronto Raptors made the surprise decision to select Florida State point forward Scottie Barnes fourth overall in the 2021 NBA Draft.

The 19-year-old Barnes is an athletic marvel, standing at 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-3 wingspan that promises elite defensive versatility at the next level. His draft combine measurements mirror some of the best defenders in the league, with Barnes essentially being a physical clone of OG Anunoby. Barnes is raw offensively, but showed tight handles and clever passing playing as a supersized point guard in college.

The main concern with Barnes is his scoring, or lack thereof. He dominates in transition and his length and athleticism allow him to thrive near the rim, but he will struggle with the other areas of his game. Barnes doesn't have a go-to move that allows him to score in the halfcourt, and more importantly, there is little track record of success with his jumpshot. He was 11-for-40 from deep in 24 games this season and it will be a true test of the Raptors' development staff to add a reliable shot to his game.

But then again, the Raptors aren't drafting for their immediate needs. On the eve of the draft, general manager Bobby Webster reiterated that they would explore all options with their pick, but that they would ultimately use it on the prospect they believed to be the best player in three or four seasons. If Barnes adds a jumper, and he continues to fill out on his already impressive frame, he can become the type of versatile two-way player that every team covets.

The unavoidable question is what this means for the Raptors moving forward, because Barnes plays the same position as Anunoby and Pascal Siakam. Barnes isn't starting-caliber just yet, so he could just come off the bench in the meantime, but it's strange to have three core players sharing the same position, which does add more fuel to the trade speculation around Siakam.

Reactions: VancouverJagger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad