Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Raptors take Scottie Barnes at No. 4 in the NBA draft: ‘I’m trying to achieve greatness' | The Star

It doesn’t matter who they didn’t take or why; it didn’t matter what deals they tried to make that they couldn’t. A team with an extremely solid record of drafting got the guy it wanted.

“I think he’s kind of a multi-faceted, multi-positional, two-way player,” Raptors coach Nick Nurse said. “We talk about that a lot. We want two-way guys, guys that are versatile, and he’s all of that and he’s young."

“Excited, man. Liked him, got to know him a little bit … it’s a great pick for us.”

Barnes, a six-foot-nine Florida native who will turn 20 years old on Sunday, is a versatile defender, on-court leader and willing learner who would seem a solid fit for Toronto’s culture.

“They start off with a defensive mindset, a defensive mentality,” said Barnes. “I feel like I belong in that program. So, I would just say I can fit right in doing different things to help other people. Other people can help me. I feel like I fit right in.”

And for a franchise that values character as much as talent, Barnes would seem to be a natural.

“First of all, maybe the best teammate, and that’s saying something in the draft,” respected ESPN analyst Jay Bilas said on a conference call this week.

“Talk about somebody who will do whatever his coaches and teammates ask him to do. He came off the bench, he played the point, McDonald’s all-American. Expected to be a lottery pick from the time he stepped on campus at Florida State, and nothing was ever about him. It was always about the team. I don’t want to say that’s unusual, but it’s certainly refreshing.”

The development process for Barnes will be focused on making him a better shooter, because there is a lot of room for improvement in that area. He was just a 27 per cent three-point shooter in college and shot less than 65 per cent from the free-throw line, so there will be lots for the development staff to work on.

History, though, suggests the Raptors will have some success.

Last edited:
Reactions: VancouverJagger

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
I know there is a gap between 4 and 5 but If it is 5 and 8 for the 4th pick I would seriously think about it.

I love Suggs and Green but to drop 1 spot and get the 8th overall pick as well in a deep draft is something to think about.

Green/Suggs vs Kuminga and Keon Johnson. Johnson did just set the record for 48 inch vertical at the combine and is a defensive beast. Lots of potential. Would be a hard thing to think about.

But if it was me, I try and find a a way to get both and trade something to get another lottery pick and pick up Josh Giddey. Guy could be a stud.

I knew Giddey was going to be a stud and wasn't going to be drafted 14th to 16th like other mocks, but to jump to 6th?! Damn. Maybe I am right. Okc drafts very well and to make that pick says a lot.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I knew Giddey was going to be a stud and wasn't going to be drafted 14th to 16th like other mocks, but to jump to 6th?! Damn. Maybe I am right. Okc drafts very well and to make that pick says a lot.
they might really be pushing to trade SGA, hes a 22 year pg thats a borderline allstar already. gonna be interesting.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Who is Scottie Barnes? Fast facts on the Toronto Raptors' No. 4 overall pick | NBA.com Canada | The official site of the NBA

Get to know the newest member of the Raptors through a few fast facts…

Who is Scottie Barnes? Fast facts on the newest member of the Toronto Raptors

Scottie Barnes was born on Aug. 1, 2001, and will celebrate his 20th birthday just days after the draft.

A native of Florida, Barnes began his high school career at Cardinal Newman in Ft. Lauderdale and, after two seasons at Ft. Lauderdale's University School, concluded his prep career at Montverde Academy, where he played alongside 2021 No.1 overall pick Cade Cunningham as well as No. 14 overall pick Moses Moody and 2021 draft prospect Day'Ron Sharpe.

A five-star recruit, Barnes was the No. 5 prospect in the 2020 recruiting class per ESPN , choosing Florida State over offers from California, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Miami among others.

At Florida State, Barnes thrived in a reserve role, coming off the bench in 17 of the 24 games in which he appeared. Barnes posted averages of 10.3 points, 4.1 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game while shooting 50.3 percent from the field on 8.1 field goal attempts per game.

In his final mock draft, NBA.com's Kyle Irving had Barnes slated as a top-five pick, describing him as "a point guard in a forward's body, acting as a floor general in his one season at Florida State. He has above-average ball handling and playmaking skills for a player at his position - a true point forward in every sense of the term.

"Prototypical defensive-minded forward for the modern NBA. Size and strength with a 7-foot-2 wingspan make him a small-ball center option at the next level. Scoring ability still needs work. A raw but promising prospect who could flourish with proper development."

There's no secret that the Raptors have one of the league's best player development staffs, meaning Barnes could very well tap into his potential with his new team. Alongside players like OG Anunoby and Fred VanVleet, Barnes' defensive potential alone is downright scary to think about.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
agreed, but his shot is REALLY ugly...thats a BIG gamble with this high of a pick.

Fair point, but the kid is only 19. He's got a lot of time to improve and we have an excellent track record developing players like him with a raw skill set.

I wanted Suggs because he addresses an immediate need and is NBA ready. In the long run though, maybe Barnes turns out to be the more impactful player.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Why the Raptors drafted Scottie Barnes

July 29, 2021

Yahoo Sports Canada

Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse discusses the benefits of bringing Scottie Barnes to the franchise and the importance of defense to his coaching philosophy.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Fair point, but the kid is only 19. He's got a lot of time to improve and we have an excellent track record developing players like him with a raw skill set.

I wanted Suggs because he addresses an immediate need and is NBA ready. In the long run through, maybe Barnes turns out to be the more impactful player.
he definitely could be, IF he reaches his potential he could be the best player in the draft and i dont really like him so im not just saying that. but watching his mechanics...hes a disaster lol. i just hope and pray they saw something in the private workout that made them believe they couldnt not take him. i do love our development program but this is alot to ask of them..ive never wanted to be wrong more about a raps pick lol.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
2021 NBA Draft: Pick-by-pick analysis (1-14) - Chad Ford's NBA Big Board

4. Scottie Barnes | Toronto Raptors

F | Age: 19.9 | 6'8" | 225.4 | Wingspan: 7’2.75”

Ranking: 5 | Tier: 2 (Potential All-Star)

There is only one Scottie Barnes in this draft. He is a big, unselfish wing who can play the point in some lineups and small-ball center in others. His size and strength allow him to see over defenses and make difficult passes from anywhere on the floor.

The question, and it’s a major one: Can he develop a jumper that works? Right now his release is all over the place, and it could allow NBA defenses to ignore him the way they do Ben Simmons.

On defense, his potential to defend all five positions on the floor makes him especially valuable. What he lacks in explosive quickness or leaping ability is made up for by long arms, strength and a great feel for how to get in the best defensive position. He picked up a high number of steals for a player his size. He has a chance to be an All-NBA defender.

He was universally loved by his teammates and coaches at Florida State for his unselfishness, work ethic, cheery demeanor and leadership.

Because of his unique qualities, Barnes is an eye-of-the-beholder player. Scouts who love him invoke the names Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen, Draymond Green and Kawhi Leonard -- ridiculously huge shoes to fill. Skeptics see a player whose weaknesses, particularly as a shooter and scorer, will overwhelm his strengths and prevent him from reaching stardom.

Toronto is betting on talent here.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I would be lying if I said I'm fine with this pick, but let's see in 5 years time. I'm disheartened at not picking Suggs here. We hope he can become Giannis but Giannis was shooting over a whopping 61% in his draft year. That's a day and night difference between the 2.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
We clearly drafted for position/need and not BPA. Not to say that Barnes won't be good, but you probably expect a bit more picking 4th OA. I suspect the Raptors wanted to get into the top 3 if they could.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
2021 NBA Draft: Pick-by-pick analysis (1-14) - Chad Ford's NBA Big Board

4. Scottie Barnes | Toronto Raptors

F | Age: 19.9 | 6'8" | 225.4 | Wingspan: 7’2.75”

Ranking: 5 | Tier: 2 (Potential All-Star)

There is only one Scottie Barnes in this draft. He is a big, unselfish wing who can play the point in some lineups and small-ball center in others. His size and strength allow him to see over defenses and make difficult passes from anywhere on the floor.

The question, and it’s a major one: Can he develop a jumper that works? Right now his release is all over the place, and it could allow NBA defenses to ignore him the way they do Ben Simmons.

On defense, his potential to defend all five positions on the floor makes him especially valuable. What he lacks in explosive quickness or leaping ability is made up for by long arms, strength and a great feel for how to get in the best defensive position. He picked up a high number of steals for a player his size. He has a chance to be an All-NBA defender.

He was universally loved by his teammates and coaches at Florida State for his unselfishness, work ethic, cheery demeanor and leadership.

Because of his unique qualities, Barnes is an eye-of-the-beholder player. Scouts who love him invoke the names Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen, Draymond Green and Kawhi Leonard -- ridiculously huge shoes to fill. Skeptics see a player whose weaknesses, particularly as a shooter and scorer, will overwhelm his strengths and prevent him from reaching stardom.

Toronto is betting on talent here.
if hes draymond thats a big miss imo, thats what im scared of. lets hope hes more. we dont have curry and klay :(

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We clearly drafted for position/need and not BPA. Not to say that Barnes won't be good, but you probably expect a bit more picking 4th OA. I suspect the Raptors wanted to get into the top 3 if they could.

If anything we actually did not draft on need. We have OG and Pascal who play his position. Suggs would have been a logical replacement to Lowry.

Raptors truly believed Barnes to be the better pick. Trust the brain trust.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Best offense is a good defense, right? Right?! Or is it the other way around?
maybe for the new jersey devils in the 90s lol. an elite defense is great until we realize nobody can score..when FVV is the only player on your team that can create his own shot and half his layups get blocked i get slightly worried haha.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I will say, it's pretty clear this dude has a high ceiling. But I can't say I'm a fan of picking a guy in the top-5 who can't shoot (yeah, yeah Simmons). Suggs would've been an instant replacement for Lowry and would've fit in really well with Van Vleet. Heart & soul kinda guy with very good D who can shoot. Oh well, it is what it is. Maybe Masai's parting gift...

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I wanted Suggs but he is also not the best shooter. Barnes is extremely versatile and displays good ballhandling and playmaking for a big guy. If Barnes develops a half decent jumper we're laughing all the way to the bank with this pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad