Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Looking at stats, when looking at kids who come out of FSU, is the wrong approach. Barnes was a one-and-done guy, and he came off the bench the majority of the season. Pat Williams was selected 4th, and wasn’t a regular starter. To Leonard Hamilton the team dynamic is everything. Learning to play defense comes first. Being a great teammate is paramount. Preparing young men for bot the pros, and life after basketball is a core philosophy. There are no egos in the program. Accountability is everything.

Scottie has higher potential than Williams had, and has a really complete game, outside of his shooting. What he brings in spades is energy, character, attitude, and a locker room presence. NOBODY works harder than Barnes. Nobody wants to be the best like he does. Takes coaching, very humble, and a kid who wants to win.

With our development staff, we could have the best player in the draft in a few years. Really excited about this pick.

Yeah gotta admit Hamilton's program is incredibly underrated. Barnes was a 5 star recruit, played with Cade Cunningham and Day'Ron Sharpe at Montverde Academy, received offers from Miami, Kentucky, Oregon and Ohio State, and FSU ended up getting him.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah gotta admit Hamilton's program is incredibly underrated. Barnes was a 5 star recruit, played with Cade Cunningham and Day'Ron Sharpe at Montverde Academy, received offers from Miami, Kentucky, Oregon and Ohio State, and FSU ended up getting him.

I’m a fan of FSU athletics across the board, and Coach Ham has built this program rock solid. This recruiting class coming in is our best ever, and should have 1-2 more lottery picks on the way. Covid put an end to what I believe was a tournament champion calibre team. Real shame they never got to play that out.

Coach Hamilton is well known for his mentorship, and his kids always work and play hard.

If only our football team wasn’t down…

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is Jalen Suggs sister Jennica's reaction to her brother not being drafted by the Toronto Raptors:

Last edited:

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
The way I see it is that Masai and company knew what Suggs was all about, that he’s part of the big 4 and what not. But their judgement, who most of us trust, saw Barnes as the better player. They know a lot more about these guys then we do. So if they see Barnes as the guy, we should trust their instincts and see how this plays out.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I was expecting Suggs like many, but I read (somewhere) to not ignore Barnes as a possible pick, so it was in the back of my mind. After watching Suggs being a little too happy when Barnes was picked, and then Barnes being very...very happy to be picked, it was a bit reassuring.

If Barnes can develop his pro game further and put up around 15 points a night AND be a defensive force (10 boards, a few blocks, steals and assists), I will be very happy with this pick. That puts him in DPotY category.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
It will be interesting to see how we use Barnes.

He can play from 1 - 5. We could have a pretty damn big "small ball" lineup with him, OG, and Siakam on the floor. Switch everything on D and get out in transition - seems like something Nurse would love.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We all need to be patient before passing judgment. It's going to be painful to watch Suggs be the better player in the short term, but hopefully this gamble will pay off for us in a few years if Barnes reaches his ceiling.

Reactions: donghabs98

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I love the way he suffocates his man on defense, and wins with energy. He’s always moving, active hands, always communicating. Barnes is a leader at a young age. I kinda hope Lowry is around to mentor him, and show him what it means to be a star in Toronto.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
I didn't do much research on Barnes before the draft, only the "top 4". Gotta say I'm feeling this pick. If they can fix his jumper he has the potential to be the best player from this draft. Draymond comparisons are flawed, Barnes is a much better ball handler, much quicker and way more athletic than Draymond. I have full trust in our organization. Suggs may be better at first but in the long run Barnes potential is substantial.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
42fa5d30-f6ad-11e9-bfff-edb4e5b37eb7
Fair enough LOL

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Bad workout is today's version of don't draft me. These agents today are slick. Suggs didn't want to be here. However, Barnes did and management wanted him more. So it worked out in the end.

Barnes has some of the highest upside in this draft. His offense will take 2 years to catch up though. Shooting is not his problem, its shot creation in half court. When the play breaks down, what does he do? He's too limited there (that was Suggs weakness as well though) and will need time. Bright side is Barnes has good handles especially for his size so improvement is VERY likely. In the interim period, it doesn't really make the Raptors that much better other than on defense.

Nurse has to go ALL defensive lineup, that is his advantage now. There is no team in the league that has OG, Siakam, Barnes as a 3 forward defensive unit. All have 7'3 wingspan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad