Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
if hes draymond thats a big miss imo, thats what im scared of. lets hope hes more. we dont have curry and klay :(

Draymond is annoying but hes also a Hall of Famer and a member of team USAs Olympic roster for a reason. Barnes will be a much better scorer than Draymond, if he is even close to the defensive leader Green is we got lucky.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Draymond is annoying but hes also a Hall of Famer and a member of team USAs Olympic roster for a reason. Barnes will be a much better scorer than Draymond, if he is even close to the defensive leader Green is we got lucky.
draymond green might get into the HOF due to being on a team that won 3 chips mainly on the back of klay and curry and durant. hes got one dpoy and is a 3x allstar since hes been in the league, hes scored more than 12 ppg once in his career, he was also drafted 39th in the draft, not fourth. look i like draymond green, but hes not who i want at the 4th pick in what is being called one of the best and deepest drafts in recent memory, just my humble opinion though. also theres no way of knowing whether or not barnes will be better/worse shooter in the nba than draymond, especially when we dont have 3 allstars(and possibly all 3 being HOfers) creating space for him.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
draymond green might get into the HOF due to being on a team that won 3 chips mainly on the back of klay and curry and durant. hes got one dpoy and is a 3x allstar since hes been in the league, hes scored more than 12 ppg once in his career, he was also drafted 39th in the draft, not fourth. look i like draymond green, but hes not who i want at the 4th pick in what is being called one of the best and deepest drafts in recent memory, just my humble opinion though. also theres no way of knowing whether or not barnes will be better/worse shooter in the nba than draymond, especially when we dont have 3 allstars(and possibly all 3 being HOfers) creating space for him.

I agree in the fact you want more than what Draymond brings but i think Barnes really does bring alot more potential and scoring capabilities than people are seeing. Having a 7 foot 3 wingspan than can play point forward is incredibly hard to stop in modern NBA. Regardless of view on the pick, its a very entertaining off season to see how our starting line up and roster look in a few months.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I agree in the fact you want more than what Draymond brings but i think Barnes really does bring alot more potential and scoring capabilities than people are seeing. Having a 7 foot 3 wingspan than can play point forward is incredibly hard to stop in modern NBA. Regardless of view on the pick, its a very entertaining off season to see how our starting line up and roster look in a few months.
ye im going to give it a chance and support him cuz hes a raptor. but draft day is too soon for me to be happy about a pick i didnt want lol.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Banton, another guard who can’t shoot.

Not complaining, just curious to see how we develop him. Has potential.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Love the Barnes pick. People were screaming in Chicago last year when they took Pat Williams at 4, another Leonard Hamilton coached guy, and look how that worked out.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
i hope this is true, im rooting for him. and for all of us lol.

It's important to note that his shooting improvements could have proven to be too good of a thing to pass up. The fact that he worked on improving that right after his season and had a strong workout for the Raps speaks volumes about his makeup and work ethic. Add that to his height, length, ball handling and court vision, and the opportunity to add a positionless player on both ends of the floor becomes just too enticing.

We all wanted Suggs but reading more and more about Barnes makes me really excited about the pick. BPA over "fit" is not a given in this situation because while Suggs is more polished, he's also not really a guy that is known for creating his own shot. Just because he hit a FF game winner doesn't mean that's still not one of his bigger weaknesses. Plus the versatility of Barnes, the Magic/Pippen vibes, being an unselfish teammate. I'm really rooting for the kid to develop a legit scoring touch.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
2021 NBA Draft results: Round 1 picks, grades, analysis, trades including Cade Cunningham to Pistons - The Athletic

4. Toronto Raptors

Scottie Barnes | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Florida State

Vecenie’s Ranking: 6

If Barnes makes shots, he’s going to be something resembling an All-Star because of his length, defensive upside and passing ability. There are so few players in the NBA who are this big, this long and this fluid who also consistently play as hard as Barnes does with such an infectious energy. His feel for the game is also very high and gives him a much higher floor than what the typical non-shooter has. But the jumper is a long way away.

Hollinger’s team fit: I liked Jalen Suggs’ fit in Toronto and I understand why it might have made sense to go that way, but I had Barnes third on my board and think he’s an amazing fit in Toronto. Barnes’s biggest weakness is his shooting, and the Raptors have shown they can turn non-shooters into at least passable perimeter options, having already done so with OG Anunoby and Pascal Siakam. I also wonder a bit if this portends a trade of Siakam, who has a large contract but could command enough in a trade to help Toronto’s quasi-rebuild and open the door for more minutes for Barnes.

Hollinger would have picked… Barnes

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Raptors draft pick Scottie Barnes willing to work | Globalnews.ca

Scottie Barnes believes he can be one of the best players in the NBA - and he's planning to become that icon by working hard for the Toronto Raptors.

The Raptors selected Barnes, a 19-year-old Florida State forward, with the No. 4 pick in the draft Thursday.

Barnes said he had great meetings with Toronto heading into the draft, but didn't get a sense the team would choose him.

“Once they called my name, it was really just a huge rush of excitement,” he told reporters on a video call. “When I went on my workout day, I really had a good workout, being able to talk to people on their staff, really develop a relationship.”

The six-foot-nine, 225-pound native of West Palm Beach, Fla., averaged 10.3 points and 4.1 assists for the Seminoles last season and was named the Atlantic Coast Conference freshman of the year.

He was a defensive force, with 35 steals and 11 blocks in 24 games.

“I don't back down for nobody. It's about how tough you are, what you're willing to do. I'm willing to do those things,” said Barnes, clad in a brand-new red Raptors had, a white turtle neck and a shimmering white brocade suit. “I'm pretty tough on the floor, I have a grit when I'm on the floor. I don't get bullied.”

Toronto's latest addition does have room for improvement, though, after going 11 for 40 on three-point shots and shooting 62 per cent from the line last season.

Barnes feels his shooting has improved “tremendously” since the college campaign wrapped, but said he's willing to keep working on it as he transitions into the NBA.

“If they feel like they need to fix something in it, I'm willing to work with them to try to fix whatever it needs,” he said. “I'm willing to do whatever it takes to try to be the best player I can be, being that great player, being at the top of the league, being able to just come in day in and day out knowing that I'm the best player on the floor.

“I'm trying to achieve greatness.”

Raptors head coach Nick Nurse thinks Barnes has the makings of a special player, especially if he continues to grind.

Reactions: canucksfan

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Raptors selecting Barnes an embodiment of the organization’s values - Sportsnet.ca

It’s hard to call it a surprise because the Toronto Raptors front office has always kept its cards close enough to the vest that you try to read them at your peril.

But it’s fair to say that the broader NBA community was caught off guard when commissioner Adam Silver announced that Scottie Barnes, the long-armed freshman from Florida State, would be their choice with the fourth overall pick in the NBA draft on Thursday night.

“I can’t believe they did that,” one insider messaged me in the moments after the selection was announced.

The first three picks in the draft followed a script that had been settled on in recent weeks with little variation expected even as the pre-draft rumour mill picked up pace.

Cade Cunningham from Oklahoma State went first to the Detroit Pistons, then Jalen Green – who played in the G-League bubble last season – was selected by Houston followed by University of Southern California big man Evan Mobley going to Cleveland.

In days before the draft, multiple league insiders had the Raptors narrowing their focus to Gonzaga star freshman Jalen Suggs, the 6-foot-4 two-way guard that has been at the top of the draft charts all year and only helped his cause by leading the Bulldogs to the NCAA championship game.

While there was plenty of reason to connect Barnes to the Raptors – a 6-foot-9 wing with high basketball IQ, playmaking skills and the ability to guard all five positions is almost an embodiment for the organization’s values – the thinking was that if the Raptors were going to take him, they might trade down to do it.

But in the end the Raptors decided Barnes' ability to affect the game in all aspects, combined with his size and make-up, made it worth simply taking the player they feel has the most upside of those that were available.

“There are a lot of good players surrounding that pick on the board, both in front and behind and even down the line,” said Raptors head coach Nick Nurse.

“You also know there have been some very good players picked all over the board in the history of the draft. There is a lot of work, discussion, thoughts on which player would be the best for us. We just felt the combination of the size, length, two-way player, possible potential down the road fit all those things. I think he kind of just nosed out some guys.”

Barnes seems comfortable with going fourth overall in a deep draft and is confident that the sky is the limit for him.

“I would say my ambition, probably, I can say I can be -- if not the top player in the league -- one of those top players in the league with my mindset because I'm just willing to work, I'm willing to get better,” he said, via a Zoom call from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, where the draft was held.

“I know I'm a great defensive player, but I also have the offensive tools which is pretty slept on, I would say, with the abilities that I can do on the floor. I know I can really create for myself; I really can score the ball. I will say I envision myself, if not being the best player in the league, one of the best players.”

The first thing he’ll have to figure out is how to shoot. It’s the only gap in his resume, but it’s a limiting factor to his long-term potential.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Bobby Webster on Scottie Barnes, Kyle Lowry, and 2nd-round picks

July 29, 2021

Yahoo Sports Canada

Toronto Raptors GM Bobby Webster discusses drafting Scottie Barnes in the first round, phone activity, returning to Toronto and the two second-round picks in Canada's Dalano Banton and David Johnson.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

2021 NBA Draft prospect Scottie Barnes' virtual film session with Mike Schmitz | NBA Draft Scouting

June 16, 2021

NBA on ESPN

Former Florida State Seminoles guard Scottie Barnes sits down with Mike Schmitz to break down film of his game ahead of the 2021 NBA Draft.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
It's important to note that his shooting improvements could have proven to be too good of a thing to pass up. The fact that he worked on improving that right after his season and had a strong workout for the Raps speaks volumes about his makeup and work ethic. Add that to his height, length, ball handling and court vision, and the opportunity to add a positionless player on both ends of the floor becomes just too enticing.

We all wanted Suggs but reading more and more about Barnes makes me really excited about the pick. BPA over "fit" is not a given in this situation because while Suggs is more polished, he's also not really a guy that is known for creating his own shot. Just because he hit a FF game winner doesn't mean that's still not one of his bigger weaknesses. Plus the versatility of Barnes, the Magic/Pippen vibes, being an unselfish teammate. I'm really rooting for the kid to develop a legit scoring touch.
thats what im hoping tbh.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Looking at stats, when looking at kids who come out of FSU, is the wrong approach. Barnes was a one-and-done guy, and he came off the bench the majority of the season. Pat Williams was selected 4th, and wasn’t a regular starter. To Leonard Hamilton the team dynamic is everything. Learning to play defense comes first. Being a great teammate is paramount. Preparing young men for bot the pros, and life after basketball is a core philosophy. There are no egos in the program. Accountability is everything.

Scottie has higher potential than Williams had, and has a really complete game, outside of his shooting. What he brings in spades is energy, character, attitude, and a locker room presence. NOBODY works harder than Barnes. Nobody wants to be the best like he does. Takes coaching, very humble, and a kid who wants to win.

With our development staff, we could have the best player in the draft in a few years. Really excited about this pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad