Raptors Discussion: v77| Season of Kawhi III: No Kawhi, no problem -or- the death & rebirth of Kyle Lowry

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I can understand why people may think the Bucks and the 76’ers are better favourites then the Raptors right now, but what have the Celtics done to leap frog the Raptors?
I understand the Celtics, but the 76ers? Seriously?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't see how it's worth giving up delon for what's barely an upgrade at C

Because for all his positives JV was not good defensively and Gasol is one of the elite defensive centers in the NBA. Add in the fact that he's arguably the second best playmaker at the position after Draymond, and you have a clear upgrade. Delon is a loss but we already have a backup point guard and two guard, and you could easily get a third string point guard off the waiver wire or for cheap in trade.

Reactions: stickty111

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Bucks didn't seem to care and they have enough sharpshooters already.

How about T Ross.. he can still guard, can't he?

Yeah they’re doing their best to foolproof their perimeter shooting. It’s not a bad idea by any means but let’s not paint Mirotic as that definitive boost to the finals for them. If the Raps meet with them it’s a pretty safe bet that the Bucks are going to throw him in the furthest corner away from Kawhi.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Guess #7 isn't going anywhere.. at least not for Conley.

Adrian Wojnarowski Verified Account
@wojespn

The Grizzlies are keeping Mike Conley, league sources tell ESPN. Memphis discussed deals with multiple teams, but ultimately decided to hold onto their franchise point guard.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Because for all his positives JV was not good defensively and Gasol is one of the elite defensive centers in the NBA. Add in the fact that he's arguably the second best playmaker at the position after Draymond, and you have a clear upgrade. Delon is a loss but we already have a backup point guard and two guard, and you could easily get a third string point guard off the waiver wire or for cheap in trade.

Well now hang on, Jokic and Blake are better playmakers too. And I don’t consider Gasol a great rebounder, but when he tries his defence is solid.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Jeremy Lin come on down. All though he puts me on caution defensively.
Ellington for shooting

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Do you think he can get something close to 25M next year from another team in free agency if he opts out?

He's 34. If his goal is to win, it won't matter that he won't get that much in free agency because he's still talented enough to get a good contract from a team that can afford to pay it. He's made a lot of money to this point in his career anyway.

Does this mean AD to the Raptors is dead?

It was never really a thing to begin with. Word is that Masai wasn't willing to give up the pieces that the trade would've required (Siakam, OG) and the Raptors were likely not at the top of New Orleans' list of attractive destinations

It's not silly when you go all in on Kawhi and make no notable moves other than Gasol, which you can argue is lateral.

Everyone around us seems to be making positive moves to try and improve and we have 32 minutes left to fill two spots.

Just hope those aren't being left open for Boucher and Malcolm Miller.

You can call it a lateral move and you'd be wrong. Gasol is a better scorer, better defender, better passer, and better 3P shooter than Valanciunas is. That's an upgrade no matter how you slice it.

Agreed. And agree with the experts too, not the keyboard guys here. Bucks, Celtics and Sixers are all better than the Raps at this moment.

yourself. Guess we will see when they’re bounced second round.

Oh the irony.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm very much a 'bandwagon fan', and not pretending to know basketball inside and out...

But how is this a good deal for the Raptors?

You trade a 27YO center with a 17 mil AAV that wanted to stay in Toronto for a 34 year old center with a >25 mil AAV. Not only that, you give up two solid depth players and a pick...

Reactions: vancityluongo

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Jeremy Lin come on down. All though he puts me on caution defensively.
Ellington for shooting

The Raps will at least have some good defensive players to downplay Lin"s defensive problems if they go after him. I'll be interested though if Lin can be effective in more limited miniutes. Efficient play is the big thing I'd want from him.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I understand the Celtics, but the 76ers? Seriously?

The 76ers I get cause they just made a big trade, and the fact that might have the most talented starting 5 in the east. I would still put the Raptors ahead of them, because I’m not convinced the 76ers can mesh well together, but you can make the case. I can’t think of any argument you can make for the Celtics. They can beat us, but I don’t see a reason to have them ahead of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad