Raptors Discussion: v77| Season of Kawhi III: No Kawhi, no problem -or- the death & rebirth of Kyle Lowry

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I'm very much a 'bandwagon fan', and not pretending to know basketball inside and out...

But how is this a good deal for the Raptors?

You trade a 27YO center with a 17 mil AAV that wanted to stay in Toronto for a 34 year old center with a >25 mil AAV. Not only that, you give up two solid depth players and a pick...

To give some context, while Wright is a solid depth piece, C.J this season is not. He has struggled to shoot the 3 which is his only real purpose. A 2nd round pick in the NBA isnt that valuable as its basically a crapshoot. Depth pieces also can easily be searched for during the buyout period.

Reactions: stickty111

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Anyways as a person not heavily invested in the raps or basketball I will be interested if i notice a difference in the Raps games.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm very much a 'bandwagon fan', and not pretending to know basketball inside and out...

You trade a 27YO center with a 17 mil AAV that wanted to stay in Toronto for a 34 year old center with a >25 mil AAV. Not only that, you give up two solid depth players and a pick...
Gasol is an upgrade on JV.
Miles is not depth. He is useless since Nurse probably wouldn't use him in the playoffs nor should he have.
Wright is a backup C who we were not going to resign.
A 2nd in 2024 is nothing.
JV is a loss but we improved on him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Gasol is an upgrade on JV.
Miles is not depth. He is useless since Nurse probably wouldn't use him in the playoffs nor should he have.
Wright is a backup C who we were not going to resign.
A 2nd in 2024 is nothing.
JV is a loss but we improved on him.

Doesn't C mean center?

Wright is a PG.

Reactions: Eyedea

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
yourself. Guess we will see when they’re bounced second round.

You'll see that you're wrong. We, at worst, have the second best player in the conference with championship experience. Giannis is still very unproven in the playoffs so are the 76ers. I think it's raps and celts in the ecf

Reactions: stickty111

BlazingRoy

Cacaw
Dec 8, 2010
JV IMO is a situational big who had to be sheltered and protected. It is true that he was very efficient and his defense was ok but he can't shoot the 3 well enough, he still doesn't flow with the offense that well (he's ok), and he can't pass like Gasol.

Delon Wright is a nice backup PG but he can be replaced in the buyout market and CJ Miles was hit by the Go Daddy curse and can't do the one thing he's really good at which is hitting 3s.

Gasol can be played at big moments in the playoffs and will help create space for everyone else. This helps the Raptors and the players we get to fill the last 3 roster spots will hopefully helps us shoot better.

I feel like too many people have a hockey mindset when they look at basketball. If Kawahi leaves and the raptors window closes, they are done for likely 5+ years. They might be a playoff team with Siakkam and OG, but they will not be a contender again with Boston, Philly, Bucks, and so many other teams with capspace on the way. The raptors need to Win NOW and this helps them win now. 2 seasons from now does not matter because if you don't have a chance to win or you arent building with superstar prospects to become a contender, then you may as well be at the bottom hoping to get the next great one especially if you aren't a big market American franchise.

Reactions: js2k6

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Gasol is only signed through next season (and that's a player option) So the contract thing isn't that big of a deal (also the NBA doesn't deal in AAV in their cap calcs. They use actual yearly salary) and Gasol is a better player than what Valanciunas is in all the areas that matter most for the Raptors.

Also the pick is a 2nd, which has minimal value. And CJ Miles probably has even less value and was only in for cap purposes. His strugles this season make him probably no better than 11th on the depth chart.

As for Delon, he's an alright backup PG, but he's never really developed from where he started and he's an RFA this summer and likely to get a raise that would make him harder to keep.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I dont understand why people think Toronto would ever "rebuild". this is a big market and has no real reason to do that. Also, if they were thinking this is a 1 and done, they would of just tanked this year and got a chance at Zion Williamson instead of waiting a yr when I dont even know next yrs top prospects but they dont compare to this years.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I dont understand why people think Toronto would ever "rebuild". this is a big market and has no real reason to do that. Also, if they were thinking this is a 1 and done, they would of just tanked this year and got a chance at Zion Williamson instead of waiting a yr when I dont even know next yrs top prospects but they dont compare to this years.

Well the team is likely not rebuilding next year unless Masai feels like moving Lowry/Ibaka/Gasol’s expirings, but really that’s unlikely.

Afterward though it’s open season, but the best part about all of them expiring at the same time is it means the Raps can be a threat in free agency with max slots.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The team is in a very similar situation to TFC.

We have 5 months to go as far possible before we either get Leonard to stay or rebuild completely.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What's our salary cap looking like next year - do we have a lot of space?

They have about $81m committed next year with a projected $109m cap. So that's $28m in cap space before factoring in Gasol's option. They should then still have signing potential with the Tax MLE (about $5.3m) and a traded player exception of about $3m from the Poeltl in the Spurs deal that will be valid into the middle of July.

Under contract
Lowry - $33.5m
Ibaka - $23.3m
Powell - $10.1m
VanVleet - $9.3m
Anunoby - $2.3m
Siakam - $2.3m

Options
Gasol - $25.6m (player)

Non-Guaranteed
McCaw - $1.9m

Free Agents
Green
Monroe

I'm not sure how Boucher and Lloyd factor in. They have those screwy convertible G-League contracts

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Uhhhhh, this is interesting

certainly looks like Masai knows he's going to be rejiggering the depth. Gotta fill 4 spots in the next week or so.

It's not quite addition-by-subtraction, but Monroe clearly didn't fit with the team. He was a strong rebounder, but beyond simply being behind JV and Ibaka, he had to be sheltered far more than the other Cs in terms of matchups. If they're gonna do that, they might as well just keep Boucher on the bench as the 13th man/3rd string C.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
"I have no idea what's going on, but I recognize those names I've heard before, and I'm upset."
Yeah, I've watched basketball since before you were born.

He's 900 years old. I don't like it. We better be going all in.

But hey, if someone doesn't agree with you.. they're stupid and don't know what they're talking about. Good attitude.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeah, I've watched basketball since before you were born.

He's 900 years old. I don't like it. We better be going all in.

But hey, if someone doesn't agree with you.. they're stupid and don't know what they're talking about. Good attitude.

Isn't that the point? Like a huge part of the reason we went out and traded for Kawhi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad