Raptors Discussion: v77| Season of Kawhi III: No Kawhi, no problem -or- the death & rebirth of Kyle Lowry

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, I've watched basketball since before you were born.

He's 900 years old. I don't like it. We better be going all in.

But hey, if someone doesn't agree with you.. they're stupid and don't know what they're talking about. Good attitude.
900 years old give or take 866 years.

Why do you say “we better be going all in”. We have the 2nd best player and 2nd best PG in the conference, another borderline all star, just added a multi time all star and former DPOY who fits exactly how we play for a younger C and 2 guys at the back end of the rotation.

We are all in. With more roster spots to fill in a buyout market looking mighty enticing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wesley Matthews is signing with the Pacers once his release is finalized.

Pistons are apparently going hard after Ellington.

We need to sign 3 or 4 players from the Market depending on who we get back from the Nets for Monroe and a 2nd

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Questions, how are we going to play the game tonight?

Don't we gotta have 13 players on the roster by game time?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

We need to sign 3 or 4 players from the Market depending on who we get back from the Nets for Monroe and a 2nd

Leo's mentioned a couple times on TSN's little commercial break/mini-discussions that it's also entirely possible there's more coming back in the Gasol trade. It hasn't been finalized yet so we don't know for sure that there's nothing else on the Memphis end of things. They have a loaded roster too with a lot of bodies that they can't necessarily juggle when they're taking back 3-for-1 in the Gasol deal as it's currently constructed.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

They can call up Boucher and Lyles from the 905 and probably just snag someone on an emergency 10-day. Shouldn't be a big deal to just stick some bodies on the bench for tonight, provided Gasol gets there in time to play.

Reactions: Cor

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leo's mentioned a couple times on TSN's little commercial break/mini-discussions that it's also entirely possible there's more coming back in the Gasol trade. It hasn't been finalized yet so we don't know for sure that there's nothing else on the Memphis end of things. They have a loaded roster too with a lot of bodies that they can't necessarily juggle when they're taking back 3-for-1 in the Gasol deal as it's currently constructed.

True. We also don't know what the return is from the Nets for Monroe/2nd.

Though, I thought Memphis mad a 2 for 1 trade earlier today to make room for the Gasol 3 for 1

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Pretty sure there still will be, just will be a lot of D-League guys.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
So going out is JV, Miles, Wright, Monroe and so far coming in is only Gasol???

Something has to be happening. Its 3:30, half hour past deadline and still no details. Im confused.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

The Jump made a good point about Matthews: this is not him making a decision to spurn the Raps or any other contender. this is him deciding that he wants to prioritize his next contract, so he's going to a team that will make the most use of him over the next couple months since they've lost Oladipo so that he can audition and cash in during free agency in the summer.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So going out is JV, Miles, Wright, Monroe and so far coming in is only Gasol???

Something has to be happening. Its 3:30, half hour past deadline and still no details. Im confused.

Like the NHL deadline, deals don't have to be done at the deadline, they just have to be in the queue at the league office for final approval. There could be plenty of moves still waiting on that rubber stamp.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
True. We also don't know what the return is from the Nets for Monroe/2nd.

Though, I thought Memphis mad a 2 for 1 trade earlier today to make room for the Gasol 3 for 1

That wouls till be 3 out and 4 in, so they'd be adding one. BasketballInsiders' cap chart still had them listed at like 14 or 15 guys plus a pair of G-League split contracts prior to any moves today. They'd be tight in squeezing everything in.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Like the NHL deadline, deals don't have to be done at the deadline, they just have to be in the queue at the league office for final approval. There could be plenty of moves still waiting on that rubber stamp.

And there's also buy outs that will come down the pipeline too. Lots of action left

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Grange saying that other than the Monroe to Nets and Gasol/JV deal, there are no more deals in the pipeline for us. So FA market will fill the rest of the roster

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I know we're over 1000 posts, but I figure we just ride this out for another 20-30 minutes and word about the end of pre-deadline moves for the Raptors before we shuffle threads.

Grange saying that other than the Monroe to Nets and Gasol/JV deal, there are no more deals in the pipeline for us. So FA market will fill the rest of the roster

Was there confirmation those trades were final and all details known? Do we even know what the return is for Monroe/2nd? I can see it just being cash, but I could also see it being for some low-end roster guy.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Our depth at C takes a bit of a step back? are we really going to find 2-3 upgrades in FA market?

Not really.

We go from Valanciunas/Ibaka/Monroe to Gasol/Ibaka/Boucher

Monroe was a poor fit for the team and Gasol is an upgrade on Valanciunas. Boucher is a giant wild card and likely needs a lot of sheltering, but this is also the 2019 NBA where there's not a huge need for tons of center depth.

The likely desires in teh FA/buyout market are:

1) 3-point/wing shooting
2) 3rd string PG
3) extra big

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sounds like nothing further coming from Memphis.

Monroe and 2021 2nd to the Nets for Cash Considerations.

Nets buying out Monroe.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I can understand why Matthews would not want to come to Toronto. He will probably get a starting job in Indiana or be the six man. As for Ellington, not sure why he would want to go to Detroit when they will be a first round exit this year if make the playoffs at all.

What other candidates are there for buyouts? Does Zach Randolph help us now that we got rid of JV and Monroe? Still puzzled by the Monroe trade. Especially if we are getting nothing back. I thought he did his job well and knew his role.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I can understand why Matthews would not want to come to Toronto. He will probably get a starting job in Indiana or be the six man. As for Ellington, not sure why he would want to go to Detroit when they will be a first round exit this year if make the playoffs at all.

What other candidates are there for buyouts? Does Zach Randolph help us now that we got rid of JV and Monroe? Still puzzled by the Monroe trade. Especially if we are getting nothing back. I thought he did his job well and knew his role.

I think Nik Stauskas might a guy Masai is targetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad