Raptors Discussion: v77| Season of Kawhi III: No Kawhi, no problem -or- the death & rebirth of Kyle Lowry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If Carter can help the team win, then bring him aboard, but I don't think his history as a Raptor should effect the decision either way. If he is the best use of trade assets to make a positive impact on the team, then go for it.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
taking vince back with the way he treated this team is the very culture that Masai is trying to avoid. Are you old enough to remember when he bailed? tanked his trade value and demanded out? Remember when he wasnt gonna dunk anymore? We traded a superstar for duds so he could go to New Jersey.

Ya.. screw him.

Lets bring Chris Bosh back while were at it. Maybe Alonso Mourning will play for us too.

Bosh left on decent terms: He had a better option and his contract was up.
Mourning screwed us, big time.
Vince screwed us by quitting on the team and the fan base. No excuse for that. However, I don't think he was really a negative in the dressing room.

I mean, basically every story out there of Vince since the trade talk endlessly about how good of a veteran leader/mentor type he's been and how he's not at all the selfish prima-donna he seemed when he left the Raptors. So I'm pretty sure the whole idea of him being a cancer on the Raptors culture is maybe just a wee bit of an overreaction.

Also this is the same Raptors squad who traded for a guy whose reputation in San Antonio (as witnessed at the game there) imploded in much the same way that Vince's did at the end of his Raptors tenure. And yet Masai seems totally cool with making that move and not expecting Kawhi to strut into the locker room and turn it into a warzone.

So.... I'm thinking maybe you're making a mountain out of a molehill here? It's a long time to hold onto as petty of a grievance as not forgiving a guy for being young and stupid once upon a time. Seriously, let it go. You'll be better for it.

When someone stabs you in the back, you remember it for a long time. I got really screwed by a Toyota dealer once and never went back. Not even after 25 years and I think most people would do the same. There's also plenty of other fish in the sea, as it were.

I really don't think it was a dressing room problem. And Kawhi was having issues in SA - I don't think he brought those with him (and I don't think Vince took his with him to NJ). At least SA got DD and Poetl in the deal, we got 4 guys worth nothing for Vince.

If Carter can help the team win, then bring him aboard, but I don't think his history as a Raptor should effect the decision either way. If he is the best use of trade assets to make a positive impact on the team, then go for it.

I more or less agree. We could sure use a good shooter (we've always had bad luck with that, CJ's just the latest).

But Vince would have to be the best available option. Not 2nd best. In a tie I would go with the other guy just "because".

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Siakam currently sitting in 9th in all star voting for front court. Great to see him getting that kind of recognition, he is having an amazing year!

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I seriously doubt Kawhi comes back for any more of this Canadian winter. Heck, I cannot believe I have stuck around this winter myself. It just sucks out

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I seriously doubt Kawhi comes back for any more of this Canadian winter. Heck, I cannot believe I have stuck around this winter myself. It just sucks out

It's been incredibly mild so far this winter, until this week, when it's finally been cold.

I saw on the news yesterday, last winter season at this time there had been over 10 extreme cold weather warnings, whereas yesterday was only the second extreme cold weather alert of this winter.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

If weather was the only concern then players would never go to Boston, NY, Philly, etc. Plus he will see come late April, May and hopefully into June how nice it can here during those months.

Reactions: donghabs98

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is this team good enough to win it all?

Sure, why not? Golden State has gone through some struggles this season too, so even if the Raps have a few falters along the way they're still sporting the best record in the league and still look like an unbeatable monster when things are humming along at their best.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Sure, why not? Golden State has gone through some struggles this season too, so even if the Raps have a few falters along the way they're still sporting the best record in the league and still look like an unbeatable monster when things are humming along at their best.

I'd like it Masai just went all in at the deadline, if possible. Be active. If I am Masai, I know I have a team that can win it all but I need to add a couple of more guys to strengthen my team further. I am not thinking about the future too much.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Masai doesn't have the space to add much more. The team is already like $16m over the luxury tax threshold and if they try to use certain things like sign & trades or the cap exception deals it can handcuff them now and moving forward (which would include their salary flexibility to try and retain Kawhi)

There's a reason he's filling out the roster right now with guys like Jordan Lloyd and Patrick McCaw, and has used and cut Lorenzo Brown. Unless he's resigned to the fact that this is a one-and-done year of contention and that Kawhi is leaving and he's gonna just blow it up next year (and I don't think he is) they can't afford to mortgage too much of what the team has.

Besides, they don't really have much in the way of attractive assets at the moment that are going to make big deals. Their 2019 1st is already out to the Spurs and the Stepien Rule says they can't trade consecutive picks ahead of the earliest pick's draft , so 2020 is off the table until we pass the 2019 draft and are into the 2019/20 season.

Kawhi, Lowry, and Siakam are probably 100% off the table.

Green seems like a safe bet to be unlikely for a trade given how well he fits into the lineup.

At least one of JV and Ibaka are probably not suited to moving without ripping out the team's frontcourt depth. Beyond that Ibaka is a little pricey given the risk that he pumpkins again, and JV seems like he needs a bit of sheltering to function at peak effectiveness, so the markets are going to be limited there.

OG is having a down year, but it's too early to give up on him. He probably has the most value of the reasonably tradeable players, but is it worth it?

Wright and VanVleet are not having great years and probably don't have a ton of value. VanVleet might have some from people banking on his 6th man campaign last season, but that's offset by how poorly he's played for stretches this season. Wright is probably the better player, but might be having a worse season. Plus he's already 26 and there's likely less room for improvement out of him moving forward. Also the reasonable take is that at least one of them has to stay to secure the backcourt depth and especially to spell Lowry. Maybe even both given that there's some situations where it makes sense to play 2PG backcourts (Lowry/Wright especially provides defensive options)

Powell's having an up-and-down year and he's not cost-effective anymore. Is there a market for a guy who's making $8-$10m over the next several years who just might be topping out as a 15-20 minute high-motor reserve wing with questionable shooting and without lockdown defence?

Nobody's paying anything for Richardson, Monroe or Miles in trade. Best case is that they're salary ballast or hopes for a team that just wants to clear cap space by taking on an expiring contract (CJ has a nearly $9m player option next season and it honesty seems iffy whether or not he'd take financial security over a chance to get meaningful minutes somewhere else, so an acquiring team would have to gamble that he can rebuild his value in a partial season or that they're unattractive enough to make him decline the option)

So the unfortunate fact is that there's just not much wiggle room for Masai to do anything flashy or splashy. Best he can reasonably hope for is a low-end team with a veteran or two that they want to do right by and give a shot at a title and who are willing to take very little back in return. Maybe the Hawks will take a young-ish player like Malachi Richardson and a 2nd for Vince as a way to let him have one last run at the big prize (and with his original team, no less). Or they wait until someone gets cut and use the taxpayer MLE. I just don't see much of a market to make impact moves

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So, a little over halfway through the season and we've seen a little resistance come the Celtics way. I've also been noticing some pretty poor trends continuing with their young studs. Are people still under the assumption that a healthy Cs squad > Raps, or Tatum + Brown > Siakam + OG or do I need to circle around back to this again come playoff time?

Reactions: stickty111

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the raps were better than the Celts last year, made bigger off-season improvements than the Celts did, so are unsurprisingly better than the Celts again this year.

Celts hype this off-season was hilarious.

Kawhi > Kyrie
Lowry > Horford
Siakam > Hayward
Ibaka = Tatum
Green = Smart

Jonas > Morris
Fred > Rozier
OG = Brown

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
the raps were better than the Celts last year, made bigger off-season improvements than the Celts did, so are unsurprisingly better than the Celts again this year.

Celts hype this off-season was hilarious.

Kawhi > Kyrie
Lowry > Horford
Siakam > Hayward
Ibaka = Tatum
Green = Smart

Jonas > Morris
Fred > Rozier
OG = Brown
Kyrie Irving is not legitimate superstar. One of the most overrated players in recent time. Dude complains about not having championship experience players on his roster like that's not what he demanded to be traded away from when he left Cleveland...These guys got to the ECF without him, Kyrie has yet to win a single playoff round in his career away from Lebron and he didn't make the playoffs before Lebron.

He's an efficient shooting guard at 6'3 playing PG.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Kyrie Irving is not legitimate superstar. One of the most overrated players in recent time. Dude complains about not having championship experience players on his roster like that's not what he demanded to be traded away from when he left Cleveland...These guys got to the ECF without him, Kyrie has yet to win a single playoff round in his career away from Lebron and he didn't make the playoffs before Lebron.

He's an efficient shooting guard at 6'3 playing PG.

What do you expect from a guy that thinks the earth is flat?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If Kawhi wins MVP and the Raptors make the finals and give Golden State a run for their money/win the whole thing, it would be awfully hard to go to the Clippers and always be second fiddle to the Lakers and Lebron.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad