Raptors Discussion: v77| Season of Kawhi III: No Kawhi, no problem -or- the death & rebirth of Kyle Lowry

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Not sure I can recall a coach playing his star the entire 2nd half of a regular season game in January lol. 45 minutes for Beal already.

Surprised they didn't put Leonard on him to put a stop to the momentum

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Please put Leonard on Beal. Having to constantly send help is really hurting us on the glass.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Huge shot by Ibaka to make me eat my words.

Lowry is a very good basketball player but he really can't score like he used to. Don't know what that means for the playoffs.

Leonard is unbelievable.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When Ibaka took that shot, I screamed NOOOOOO then when he scored I said Great play.
Pretty sure Leo was planning to say he should not taken that shot but once it went in, he changed it what a fake.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Well. That was exciting!

Terrible to blow such a big lead, but fantastic to claw back and win it. Lots of stunning blocks and steals.

Serge with the 3 for the win. There were probably 3000 other plays I would have preferred to see, until it dropped.

Kawhi continues to get better, Pascal too. Norm and Delon looking pretty solid now. Ibaka's been generally great this season, especially from mid range. Kyle with a couple of huge 3s that dropped and a couple of huge ones that didn't. Tired?

Anyways, we remain at the top of the league, so things are going okay so far.

Not sure I'd want Beal - a huge pricetag and he can be very hot and cold. He was hot today.... What's The Brow up to? Seems he might fit the team chemistry better.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They said that about Kawhi and San Antonio though.

But San Antonio still got a regular All-Star in DeRozan, a young player who showed they could be a good rotation guy (Poeltl) and a pick. The Raptors don't have another DeRozan to give up, Washington wouldn't want Lowry (nor would I want to trade him in this hypothetical) and they would have to defer any 1st rounder traded to at least 2021 because of the Stepien Rule.

If we said Siakam's off the table, what's the best package the Raptors can put together? JV/Powell/OG/'21 1st? I don't think that's going to move the needle for the Wizards.

Because the other big stumbling block here is salary. Beal makes $25m this season. With both teams over the luxury tax, the salaries need to more or less match up. That means that Toronto has to throw either Ibaka or a combo of Valanciunas and one of Powell/Miles into the mix with one of the younger players (OG, Wright, VanVleet) to make this cap compliant.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But San Antonio still got a regular All-Star in DeRozan, a young player who showed they could be a good rotation guy (Poeltl) and a pick. The Raptors don't have another DeRozan to give up, Washington wouldn't want Lowry (nor would I want to trade him in this hypothetical) and they would have to defer any 1st rounder traded to at least 2021 because of the Stepien Rule.

If we said Siakam's off the table, what's the best package the Raptors can put together? JV/Powell/OG/'21 1st? I don't think that's going to move the needle for the Wizards.

Because the other big stumbling block here is salary. Beal makes $25m this season. With both teams over the luxury tax, the salaries need to more or less match up. That means that Toronto has to throw either Ibaka or a combo of Valanciunas and one of Powell/Miles into the mix with one of the younger players (OG, Wright, VanVleet) to make this cap compliant.

Beal also isn't Kawhi, though. Washington also hasn't been known for making the best decisions lately either.

JV/Powell/OG/'21 1st honestly might do it. The Wizards know they aren't going anywhere with that core.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Beal also isn't Kawhi, though. Washington also hasn't been known for making the best decisions lately either.

JV/Powell/OG/'21 1st honestly might do it. The Wizards know they aren't going anywhere with that core.

Beal is only 25 with multiple years left on his reasonable contract

The Wizards have nothing to gain by undervaluing Beal. Kawhi was going into the last year of his contract and because of unusual circumstances, forced SAS's hands to trade him. Even then, they received a "star" player.

Washington should spend all their efforts on getting rid of Wall's contract (even if they have to take on bad contracts in return) and build around Beal.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Beal is only 25 with multiple years left on his reasonable contract

The Wizards have nothing to gain by undervaluing Beal. Kawhi was going into the last year of his contract and because of unusual circumstances, forced SAS's hands to trade him. Even then, they received a "star" player.

Washington should spend all their efforts on getting rid of Wall's contract (even if they have to take on bad contracts in return) and build around Beal.

Fair points.

They're not going to be able to trade Wall though. An injury-prone, declining prima donna who isn't a great scorer on a max contract. It's ugly and it's only going to get worse.

And like I said, they haven't exactly been known for making the best decisions lately.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Fair points.

They're not going to be able to trade Wall though. An injury-prone, declining prima donna who isn't a great scorer on a max contract. It's ugly and it's only going to get worse.

And like I said, they haven't exactly been known for making the best decisions lately.

Trading Wall is doable, but like mentioned, they'll have to take on some bad contracts in return. Teams will gamble for an all star player. If a scrub like Mozgov and his 64 million contract can be traded, anything is possible. I've always felt that not having Wall on the team was an addition by subtraction for the Wizards.

Some desperate team with tons of cap space like Phoenix (who can't buy a PG), will do something stupid to get him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Trading Wall is doable, but like mentioned, they'll have to take on some bad contracts in return. Teams will gamble for an all star player. If a scrub like Mozgov and his 64 million contract can be traded, anything is possible. I've always felt that not having Wall on the team was an addition by subtraction for the Wizards.

Some desperate team with tons of cap space like Phoenix (who can't buy a PG), will do something stupid to get him.

A scrub at least won't create a distraction though. Wall and his antics are a huge part of why the Wizards have a fractured locker room. You're not just trading for the bad contract (like with Mozgov). You're trading for the bad contract AND the off-court headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->