USPHL 2014-15 Season Thread

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Rumors that Beau Starrett is coming back to play out his last season of junior eligibility at South Shore. SSK has made some big moves this offseason and if they can bring back Starrett they will be a dangerous dangerous team. Maybe the feeling all-around is that since he'll obviously get more ice time in South Shore it's worth keeping him there.

I always thought the college or, in this case, NHL team had a heavy influence in where a player plays. I'm sure the Blackhawks would rather have him play in Dubuque rather than Mass. It's possible Cornell would like to have him in the USPHL. I'm guessing Beau would rather play in the USPHL as he has a chance to win a championship and win the scoring title.

Dec 13, 2010
Well they obviously do have a lot of influence, and I think the fact that it's even a debate is maybe proof that Chicago thinks highly of the league. Maybe the idea is that Beau gets top minutes to play for SSK where he might not be guaranteed that same playing time with Dubuque? No clue.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Well they obviously do have a lot of influence, and I think the fact that it's even a debate is maybe proof that Chicago thinks highly of the league. Maybe the idea is that Beau gets top minutes to play for SSK where he might not be guaranteed that same playing time with Dubuque? No clue.

I think we're all in agreement that the USHL is better than the USPHL. Even I'll admit that. But this is a prime example that the gap is not as far as it was between USHL and EJHL. I'm not a geography whiz but Dubuque is a lot closer to Chicago than South Shore, right? ;)

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I think we're all in agreement that the USHL is better than the USPHL. Even I'll admit that. But this is a prime example that the gap is not as far as it was between USHL and EJHL. I'm not a geography whiz but Dubuque is a lot closer to Chicago than South Shore, right? ;)

This is my point most of the time. Is the USHL better? No question. But the gap really isn't a huge as most people think.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Having an awful problem preparing the Rochester article. Anyone know any players that are gonna be on the team this year?

Edit: Josh Couturier (ex USHLer) comes back East to join BJB. De-committed from Northeastern in April.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Having an awful problem preparing the Rochester article. Anyone know any players that are gonna be on the team this year?

Edit: Josh Couturier (ex USHLer) comes back East to join BJB. De-committed from Northeastern in April.

There is a lot of turmoil in the Des Moines (USHL) program....the team Josh played for. Many players or affiliates told the team they would not come back and asked for a trade or release.

I would like to see someone set up an exhibition tournament between the USPHL and the USHL.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
There is a lot of turmoil in the Des Moines (USHL) program....the team Josh played for. Many players or affiliates told the team they would not come back and asked for a trade or release.

I would like to see someone set up an exhibition tournament between the USPHL and the USHL.

Will never happen unless USA Hockey changes their stance on Tier 1, 2 and 3. USHL has nothing to gain and everything to lose and vice versa for the USPHL.

Dec 13, 2010
For what it's worth, there were a few exhibitions between USPHL and some CJHL teams that Hockey Canada squashed for whatever reason. Curious what the perception of this league is up there.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
For what it's worth, there were a few exhibitions between USPHL and some CJHL teams that Hockey Canada squashed for whatever reason. Curious what the perception of this league is up there.

I know PAL went up to Canada last year. Are you referring to this seasons exhibition games being canceled?

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I believe the Hitmen, Rangers, Islanders and Flyers are all playing the Napean Raiders in preseason.

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
Just rambling...

We are sending our boys to play in the USPHL Premier league this season. From what I am reading on the boards most seem to think the level of play is that to a mid-lower USHL team, or NAHL? Do you really think some USPHL teams could compete with some USHL or NAHL teams? I know one of the USPHL teams beat a NAHL team last season. It's really exciting to hear / read this. I can't wait to see some of the games! I think paying to play is fine-knowing the chances of your player being cut are less-vs the USHL/NAHL (especially NAHL). They cut players, and leave them with no place to go. :)

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
We are sending our boys to play in the USPHL Premier league this season. From what I am reading on the boards most seem to think the level of play is that to a mid-lower USHL team, or NAHL? Do you really think some USPHL teams could compete with some USHL or NAHL teams? I know one of the USPHL teams beat a NAHL team last season. It's really exciting to hear / read this. I can't wait to see some of the games! I think paying to play is fine-knowing the chances of your player being cut are less-vs the USHL/NAHL (especially NAHL). They cut players, and leave them with no place to go. :)

Yes if you had the USHL and NAHL in one big league at least 8 of the USPHL's teams would be in the upper half. The advancement opportunities presented by the USPHL are second only to USHL. With about 18 more teams, the NA put just a coue more kids into D1 than the USPHL did with far less teams. Your boys are in a good spot! Good luck!!

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014

I honestly strongly believe that some of the top USPHL teams, (NJH and BJB) can play and most likely beat some of the USHL mid-lower tier teams for sure. Also, the showcases for the USPHL are definitely very good, and attract a ton of scouts from top tier D1 colleges, causing your sons to get some good looks. I think the USPHL has pretty good exposure for D1 colleges, which is a good place for your children to land. I, aswell, believe you made a good choice. I wish your boys best of luck in the league this year!

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Kaminski joins Jr. Pirates staff
By Chris Roy | Updated: August 19, 2014

The Portland Junior Pirates announced the hiring of Kevin Kaminski as the Head Coach of the USPHL Elite Team and as Youth Skills and Development Coach.

Kaminski joins the Junior Pirates after being relieved of his duties as head coach the Louisiana IceGators of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL), where he spent the past four seasons. During that span, Kaminski compiled a record of 102-84-13 in 199 regular season games (0.545 winning percentage).

Link>>>

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
I honestly strongly believe that some of the top USPHL teams, (NJH and BJB) can play and most likely beat some of the USHL mid-lower tier teams for sure. Also, the showcases for the USPHL are definitely very good, and attract a ton of scouts from top tier D1 colleges, causing your sons to get some good looks. I think the USPHL has pretty good exposure for D1 colleges, which is a good place for your children to land. I, aswell, believe you made a good choice. I wish your boys best of luck in the league this year!

This is so great to hear. We are from the mid west-and haven't followed the east coast hockey much. We have family all over the east (we are from Jersey/Philly), but have been in the mid-west for over 20 years. The boys are so excited, and ready to get on with the season. Can't believe the season is starting in 2 weeks-actually less! Ahh!

Dec 13, 2010
This is so great to hear. We are from the mid west-and haven't followed the east coast hockey much. We have family all over the east (we are from Jersey/Philly), but have been in the mid-west for over 20 years. The boys are so excited, and ready to get on with the season. Can't believe the season is starting in 2 weeks-actually less! Ahh!

In terms of the talent levels, USPHL Premier teams are second only to the USHL. There's an argument to be made that the NAHL is a better route to go if you're a physical player, but there are borderline USHL players who are bypassing the free NAHL to pay and play in the USPHL. Two NHL picks played full seasons in the USPHL last year, and three other players drafted played for top USPHL teams at one point of the year. Jack Eichel came up through the Junior Bruins system before playing for the USNTDP.

This league is very good, almost every team has at least one draft-eligible player that's getting some attention from scouts. Whether those guys get drafted is a completely different thing, but the fact is the pro scouts in North America are recognizing how good this league is and going to these showcases. Every D1 college in the country has USPHL teams on their radar.

Congrats on sending the boys out East, wish them all the best!

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
I believe the Hitmen, Rangers, Islanders and Flyers are all playing the Napean Raiders in preseason.

One of my buddies went to the Rangers V Napean game, it was a complete blowout. Rangers tripled their shots and destroyed them 5-0. The Rangers definitely look like a pretty good team, although the Raiders weren't a good indicator. They are still a faster type of team, but they have some bigger players now.

Dec 13, 2010
Wanted to correct something on my post about it being a Hockey Canada issue-apparently the OJHL has told its teams not to play USPHL teams at all. PAL Junior Islanders are playing some GOJHL teams this weekend, beat Ft. Erie 11-1 tonight and have two games tomorrow morning

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Wanted to correct something on my post about it being a Hockey Canada issue-apparently the OJHL has told its teams not to play USPHL teams at all. PAL Junior Islanders are playing some GOJHL teams this weekend, beat Ft. Erie 11-1 tonight and have two games tomorrow morning

Seems like hockey canada is worried some of their players will start to jump ship to the USPHL.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Hitmen defeated the Nepean Raiders 2-1 today out shooting them 36-23.

PAL finished off their camp in Canada, defeating GOJHL opponents by a combined score of 29-1

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
In terms of the talent levels, USPHL Premier teams are second only to the USHL. There's an argument to be made that the NAHL is a better route to go if you're a physical player, but there are borderline USHL players who are bypassing the free NAHL to pay and play in the USPHL. Two NHL picks played full seasons in the USPHL last year, and three other players drafted played for top USPHL teams at one point of the year. Jack Eichel came up through the Junior Bruins system before playing for the USNTDP.

This league is very good, almost every team has at least one draft-eligible player that's getting some attention from scouts. Whether those guys get drafted is a completely different thing, but the fact is the pro scouts in North America are recognizing how good this league is and going to these showcases. Every D1 college in the country has USPHL teams on their radar.http://hfboards.mandatory.com/images/smilies/smiles.gif

Congrats on sending the boys out East, wish them all the best!

Awesome. We looked at the stats-and the stats don't lie. USPHL % of commitments is super high. Higher then the NA when you look at it statistically. Pretty great. We are going to watch the Hitmen VS that CCHL team tomorrow morning on Fast Hockey. Well, the boys are-I might sleep haha :wave::wave::wave:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad