USPHL 2014-15 Season Thread

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Frustrating that the schedule is not up yet.

FWIW the USPHL will not be using Pointstreaks this upcoming season and that's likely causing the delay. It'll likely be Goal Line and I'm looking forward to that. Was never a huge fan of Pointstreaks.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Any idea when rosters are expected to be public? Seems like there is less information every time I go on a USPHL site.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
could anyone provide a link to the stats that show % of player commitments in USPHL vs NAHL or vs all other junior leagues as of 2014?

Thanks , could prove interesting.

Last edited:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
First weekend in the books. Some notes:

Portland showed improvement against SSK
Bruins beat Pics 4-1
Rochester Struggled
Hitmen prove dominance over PAL
Bay State Looks Strong over IHC

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
I think SSK will be top 3 or 4 this year. They have some really strong players. Their goalie that's committed to BU, Starrett, looked extremely strong. Also have two NHL draft picks playing forward. Exciting to see how they fare against the top teams this year.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
i thought SSK kings lost both Coughlin to BCHL and Wood to prep.
Was tweeted by @USPHLPlayers.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
i thought SSK kings lost both Coughlin to BCHL and Wood to prep.
Was tweeted by @USPHLPlayers.
Beau Starrett is one draft pick, and can't recall the other one. I think... Ryan Donato? Not sure. But they have another NHL draft pick.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I wouldnt be surprised to see '94 Goalie Danny Tirone pop up on a USPHL team in the near future. With the off ice trouble with Casey DeSmith at UNH, Danny Tirone is bring brought in for the 2nd semester.

With this happening and UNH wanting Tirone to get alot of ice time, Cedar Rapids is going to trade him to an east coast league. Cedar Rapids has already traded for another goalie so I would assume this is soon.

Baudjo

Sep 18, 2014
Now that we have completed the pre-season and have had the opening weekend in the premier division, any thoughts ranking the 11 teams?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Now that we have completed the pre-season and have had the opening weekend in the premier division, any thoughts ranking the 11 teams?

From: http://www.usphlprospects.com/2014/08/preseason-usphl-power-rankings.html

11. Rochester Junior Americans
10. Springfield Pics
9. Portland Junior Pirates
8. Connecticut Junior Rangers
7. Bay State Breakers
6. Philadelphia Flyers
5. Islanders Hockey Club
4. P.AL. Junior Islanders
3. South Shore Kings
2. New Jersey Hitmen
1. Boston Junior Bruins

A preview of this weekend's Junior Bruins Shootout Showcase:
http://www.usphlprospects.com/2014/09/junior-bruins-shootout-preview.html

Baudjo

Sep 18, 2014
11. Junior Americans
10. Springfield Pics
9. Junior Rangers
8. Portland Pirates
7. Bay State
6. Islanders Hockey Club
5. P.A.L Islanders
4. NJ Hitmen
3. Junior Flyers
2. South Shore Kings
1. Boston Bruins

Looking forward to the weekend at the Boston Bruins Shootout.

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
After BJB shootout thoughts...

After the BJB shootout this past weekend what are your ranking thoughts? Have they changed? Stayed the same? Are there players on some teams that might have you ranking a team higher because you believe they will have more impact/bigger potential later in the season? Just curious on your rankings. I would definitely would rethink a few of them :)

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
After the BJB shootout this past weekend what are your ranking thoughts? Have they changed? Stayed the same? Are there players on some teams that might have you ranking a team higher because you believe they will have more impact/bigger potential later in the season? Just curious on your rankings. I would definitely would rethink a few of them :)

Was surprised to see Siderio (sp) on Philadelphia Premier. Bessinger on SSK looks really good and I believe he's uncommitted. Watched BSB vs. PHI and Badger looked so composed, gonna be a top 5 player this year. New power rankings...

1. Kings
2. Bruins
3. Hitmen
4. Bay State
5. Philadelphia
6. IHC
7. Rochester
8. PAL
9. Portland
10. Springfield
11. Connecticut

Portland was really spotty. Looked good against PHI and CT but couldn't do much vs. ROCH which says something.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I saw two teams that played down to Portland IMO. Disheartening to see a breakout that consists of throwing the puck off the glass and icing it half the time.

Don't know what to think of CT yet, they looked OK vs Bay State but not good vs Bruins. PAL and IHC are disappointing to me so far. Rochester is surprising to me.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
i don't think the Bruins game is one to judge. You're probably talking the #1 team with more experienced coaching and players. Ct still trying to feel out their players is my guess. Also , while they were over matched in that game (as many of the teams are vs Bruins) a few of them did look like they matched up just fine. Portland didn't impress
me at all.

Last edited:

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
Was surprised to see Siderio (sp) on Philadelphia Premier. Bessinger on SSK looks really good and I believe he's uncommitted. Watched BSB vs. PHI and Badger looked so composed, gonna be a top 5 player this year. New power rankings...

1. Kings
2. Bruins
3. Hitmen
4. Bay State
5. Philadelphia
6. IHC
7. Rochester
8. PAL
9. Portland
10. Springfield
11. Connecticut

Portland was really spotty. Looked good against PHI and CT but couldn't do much vs. ROCH which says something.

I agree with a lot of your rankings. It is very interesting to me that even when a team gets totally beat-the scores are still close. It might not reflect the game, but there aren't big spreads. The games were great to watch. We are still learning the players in this league-the teams-etc etc. Thank goodness for fast hockey!! That NESC is amazing. Awesome rink.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I agree with a lot of your rankings. It is very interesting to me that even when a team gets totally beat-the scores are still close. It might not reflect the game, but there aren't big spreads. The games were great to watch. We are still learning the players in this league-the teams-etc etc. Thank goodness for fast hockey!! That NESC is amazing. Awesome rink.

Agree. There are very impressive players on every team from team #1-11

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
I saw two teams that played down to Portland IMO. Disheartening to see a breakout that consists of throwing the puck off the glass and icing it half the time.

Don't know what to think of CT yet, they looked OK vs Bay State but not good vs Bruins. PAL and IHC are disappointing to me so far. Rochester is surprising to me.

CT didn't look too strong. Not sure though, new organization, new coach, pretty much new team except for two returning players, one of which didn't even have one game played last year. So far, I think they are a very weak team, but you never know. Rochester surprised me ALOT. I have a strong feeling they will fall off later in the season, though. I mean, after last season, I have no idea what to expect from these teams. CT had strong opener last season, then ended up last place. IHC and PAL started out in last, then ended up well over .500. I still believe Hitmen, SSK, BJB, and IHC for top 4 this year.

I mean look, let's be real guys, for all of you that watched alot of USPHL last year, a HUGEE amount of being a good team is coaching. I honestly just believe that Sean Tremblay is a tremendous coach and will always get his team settled and in a top spot by the end of the season, it always ends that way. I feel like the first few games were just an indication of raw talent on some teams, and just chemistry. Lot of returning players from top teams, and then you have teams like IHC who lost more than half their roster to colleges, and then CT who lost pretty much their whole roster. Due to this, I don't think I can give a REAL ranking for the end of the season. I guess we'll find out and see, really hope CT isn't SUPER weak this year like last year, I'd love to have a super competitive league where bottom teams can beat top teams, so hopefully CT and Port can pick it up this year and ROC and SPR can maintain a pretty good record.

Last edited:

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
I agree way to early to judge some teams. Ct. for example is still finding their charachter. Fact is if youve watched their games they have had several very strong periods
and when they learn to put three periods together like that i think they will surprise. All games other than JR B were close, JR flyers was 5-3 then an empty net at the end.
So i look forward to their improvement.

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
After last night-no one is undefeated. Even the best teams have off nights...and BSB's took advantage of that. Will be an interesting weekend. We are watching on Fast Hockey. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->