USPHL 2014-15 Season Thread

Dec 13, 2010
Great job with the Bruins post. Like you said a week ago, it's tough to make any true statements about a lot of these teams because we have no idea how their rosters are going to fill out for the most part. I work for a USPHL team and know probably 5 players that are for sure playing on their premier roster this year? (and only after attending a few practices/talking to the coaches) Makes it hard for everyone to really pump out content over the summer.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Good job yet again. As everyone expressed before it's really tough to come up with something for these teams before USHL/NAHL tryouts because you never know where players can end up.

Bruins are one of those teams that might be a little easier because they were such a young team last year and they're never a wild card to be good. Most players want to play there.

Next week should be interesting. Huge roster turnover from what I've heard for the rangers. Very few returning.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Good job yet again. As everyone expressed before it's really tough to come up with something for these teams before USHL/NAHL tryouts because you never know where players can end up.

Bruins are one of those teams that might be a little easier because they were such a young team last year and they're never a wild card to be good. Most players want to play there.

Next week should be interesting. Huge roster turnover from what I've heard for the rangers. Very few returning.

Agreed! Vincent Montalbano has a track record of success so it'll be interesting if he can turn that team around. I hope so!

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
While there's not much to talk about I'll throw out some power-rankings for the Premier Division:

1. South Shore (if Starrett stays, also Winkler might head to SSK too)
2. Bruins (for obvious reasons)
3. Islanders (Tremblay never satisfied not finishing first)
4. Hitmen (losing a lot of top players)
5. Flyers (lots of returners, Badger too)
6. P.A.L. (same as last year IMO, middle of the road)
7. Rochester (hard to judge, below-average Premier team)
8. Portland (better than last year but not enough talent)
9. Bay State (not many returners on a below-average 13-14 team)
10. Springfield (hard to judge, lots of losses)
11. Connecticut (too hard to get players to join an 8 win team)

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
While there's not much to talk about I'll throw out some power-rankings for the Premier Division:

1. South Shore (if Starrett stays, also Winkler might head to SSK too)
2. Bruins (for obvious reasons)
3. Islanders (Tremblay never satisfied not finishing first)
4. Hitmen (losing a lot of top players)
5. Flyers (lots of returners, Badger too)
6. P.A.L. (same as last year IMO, middle of the road)
7. Rochester (hard to judge, below-average Premier team)
8. Portland (better than last year but not enough talent)
9. Bay State (not many returners on a below-average 13-14 team)
10. Springfield (hard to judge, lots of losses)
11. Connecticut (too hard to get players to join an 8 win team)

Agree with pretty much all the selections, maybe see Bruins/SS switching, as well as Hitmen/IHC. One team I completely disagree on (and I know they're a huge wildcard) is Connecticut. Think they will be better than all 4 of the teams above them. I view them more as a brand new team this year. New coach, who was (is?) a St. Louis Blues scout. Carrying an NHL team as a sponsor. Great location compared to Rochester, Portland, Springfield. Could see them starting real slow and going on a tear. Big question is who are their "few" returners? Good players? Hopefully they have a good leader in the locker room. A coach only goes so far.

In a way I see them as very comparable to Bay State, except with the conditions stated above.

But I live in the area and am a huge rangers fan, so consider me a homer.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I have a strong suspicion that Charlie Kelleher might end up on the Bruins. He was a futures pick of Cedar Rapids in 2013 and affiliated. He was not at the June camp and is not on the list for the August camp. He is a 2015 UNH commit so I would think the USPHL would be his destination.

Considering he spent the 13-14 season with the U18 team it's fairly possible.

One team I completely disagree on (and I know they're a huge wildcard) is Connecticut. Think they will be better than all 4 of the teams above them. I view them more as a brand new team this year. New coach, who was (is?) a St. Louis Blues scout. Carrying an NHL team as a sponsor. Great location compared to Rochester, Portland, Springfield. Could see them starting real slow and going on a tear. Big question is who are their "few" returners? Good players? Hopefully they have a good leader in the locker room. A coach only goes so far.

Yeah, very tough to judge and none of us can be too sure until the rosters come out. Any word on when exactly that will be? If my memory is correct I remember last year it took up until Labor Day weekend right before the Woodchuck Classic for them to be posted.

A returner Coach Montalbano mentioned as being key for next year is Nick DiNicola.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Considering he spent the 13-14 season with the U18 team it's fairly possible.

Yeah, very tough to judge and none of us can be too sure until the rosters come out. Any word on when exactly that will be? If my memory is correct I remember last year it took up until Labor Day weekend right before the Woodchuck Classic for them to be posted.

A returner Coach Montalbano mentioned as being key for next year is Nick DiNicola.

Weird. I heard he was going to Portland. Mixed up names maybe?

What you see at the summer showdown will be very reminiscent of the final rosters minus a few pieces here and there.

Final rosters wait until right before the seasons start

Last edited:

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Hmm. As someone who was actually very interesting in Connecticut last year, I do believe they will be in the middle of the pack this year. Vincent Montalbano has excellent contacts, (For obvious reasons), and I believe that he could really come up with a good roster. I'm pretty sure they would only bring their top players back, although the many few that weren't committed.

Last year, It seemed to me that one of their biggest problems was coaching-wise. Their breakouts were weak, their powerplay and penalty kill were also very weak, and you could just tell they didn't really work on a good offensive setup. They also had a few major events that happened, that could have easily been prevented, but weren't and so bad luck and bad things came out of it. I'd like to see how they do this year, I believe that they can do pretty well, to completely honest.

Last season, I think their top players that weren't committed featured #67 (F) Nick DiNicola, #25 (F) Charlie Zuccarini, and #19 (D) Nick Abbene. I'm not sure if any of them are returning, or if anyone of them are playing in USPHL next year, but I believe those are their top players from last year that aren't committed and eligible to play this season of USPHL.

Also, as much as players hate joining unskilled teams, look at Montalbano's history record. He's a NHL scout for a top tier NHL team at the moment, I think he will be able to recruit very skilled players, and be able to coach at a high level. But, I still don't think they are top 5.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Portland Jr. Pirates Premier team is not playing in Lewiston as was planned.... Team is going to stay at its primary rink in Saco. The Colisee has a new tenant with the Maine Timberwolves of the NSHL.

Dec 13, 2010
Portland Jr. Pirates Premier team is not playing in Lewiston as was planned.... Team is going to stay at its primary rink in Saco. The Colisee has a new tenant with the Maine Timberwolves of the NSHL.

That's rough..especially considering NSHL hockey is a good step below Premier hockey.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012

Yeah NSHL is a couple steps below Premier. Really never made sense since the players were living in Saco. It will be interesting to see what the T'Wolves draw. Will those numbers be posted anywhere?

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Dang. Didn't expect that. Really sucks that a USPHL team loses iceto a NSHL team.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Yeah NSHL is a couple steps below Premier. Really never made sense since the players were living in Saco. It will be interesting to see what the T'Wolves draw. Will those numbers be posted anywhere?

They probably will get 800-1000 on the home opener to see what the buzz is all about. But I think the average will be in 150-300 range. I think it would have been the same average if the Junior Pirates were going to be playing there.

In all honesty most people in the city probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the USPHL and the NSHL. They care if it's going to be cheap to watch hockey

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
They probably will get 800-1000 on the home opener to see what the buzz is all about. But I think the average will be in 150-300 range. I think it would have been the same average if the Junior Pirates were going to be playing there.

In all honesty most people in the city probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the USPHL and the NSHL. They care if it's going to be cheap to watch hockey

Good point and I agree. Actually, it might be better numbers for the NSHL team because that league allows fighting so people might go for the fights.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I haven't seen a NSHL game but if it's going be a "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out." league most people will be turned off by that.

People in Lewiston don't mind a good scrap or two - including me - but when the Federal Hockey League had their five game showcase in Lewiston in hopes of putting a team there. The second game was a ___show with a bench clearing brawl. After that people were turned off and attendance dwindled in the remaining three games that season.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Yeah the NSHL is really a joke to put it nicely. Very few if any college players come out of that league unless theyre 14 or 15 at the time.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah the NSHL is really a joke to put it nicely. Very few if any college players come out of that league unless theyre 14 or 15 at the time.

Don't completely agree. It's obviously nowhere near Premier but they wouldn't be that far out of place in the Elite Division. I know a few NSHL kids who could be more than role players on Premier teams but simply choose NSHL due to location and the "visor" effect. It's true, players actually choose the NSHL over other leagues simply because you can fight and wear visors.

Advancement list: http://northernstateshockey.com/page.php?page_id=41647

Decent amount of D3 commits. Of the 3, well now 5 including the CIHL and CIJHL, NSHL is definitely the second best behind WSHL.

And for the 14-15 Jr. Rangers, received word that Nick Abbene (D, 45g, 17p) will return.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Don't completely agree. It's obviously nowhere near Premier but they wouldn't be that far out of place in the Elite Division. I know a few NSHL kids who could be more than role players on Premier teams but simply choose NSHL due to location and the "visor" effect. It's true, players actually choose the NSHL over other leagues simply because you can fight and wear visors.

Advancement list: http://northernstateshockey.com/page.php?page_id=41647

Decent amount of D3 commits. Of the 3, well now 5 including the CIHL and CIJHL, NSHL is definitely the second best behind WSHL.

And for the 14-15 Jr. Rangers, received word that Nick Abbene (D, 45g, 17p) will return.

Agree to disagree. For those who are really stuck up on the visors, the EHL is a better option. Colleges don't use visors (yet). 24 commits last year, 12 teams, averages to 2 commits per team. (Thats including alumni in the average, which is generous.)

Good news for them. Good player. One to watch out for. Likes to hold onto the puck a lot from previous viewings.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
NSHL is on par with the Empire. It was honestly better when it was the IJ.

I can agree with this. However, if you were to assemble an All-Star team of Empire and NSHL players I would say the NSHL would win. Top to bottom Empire is better, NSHL has some really good players and some really bad ones.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Beau Starrett says he is heading to Dubuque of the USHL this year. This surprised me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad