USPHL 2014-15 Season Thread

BrokeDad

Oct 14, 2014
My son is part of the USPHL Futures. Does any one know what this exactly? I heard there were supposed to be scouts watching, but I didn't see anyone and neither did the coaches. The team is tier 2 level caliber and recently played 4 games in 3 days at NJ Hitmen rink versus 4 different teams (all a part if the futures as well) two weeks ago. Also, the Hitmen charged a "day" and/or "weekend" fee to watch. What's up with that? How unfair for us parents to be faced with paying to see our children play. Is this common practice amongst all USPHL divisions and all games?

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
My son is part of the USPHL Futures. Does any one know what this exactly? I heard there were supposed to be scouts watching, but I didn't see anyone and neither did the coaches. The team is tier 2 level caliber and recently played 4 games in 3 days at NJ Hitmen rink versus 4 different teams (all a part if the futures as well) two weeks ago. Also, the Hitmen charged a "day" and/or "weekend" fee to watch. What's up with that? How unfair for us parents to be faced with paying to see our children play. Is this common practice amongst all USPHL divisions and all games?

As much as I hate to say it, most teams/rinks charge a fee. It really sucks, but sometimes you have to just deal with it. I've been dealing with it for a few years now, and it really sucks, but sometimes teams don't charge you. Also, if you really want to see some scouts at a game, you may want to get your son to talk to his coach about contacting them, or emailing some colleges himself to go see his games. As for the scouts for the new Futures, I honestly do not know much at all about that new league, but the Elite and Premier league for USPHL bring in a lot of scouts. The Premier league has ATLEAST 2-4 scouts every game. I mean, it sucks that you have to pay to see your kids play, but atleast you know that as long as your kid develops and sticks with the program, they can land in a Premier team where they will be scouted every game. I wish your son the best with the new league and team, and hopefully a great season!:)

Dec 13, 2010

Not all scouts wear things you can easily identify them by.

In terms of scouting at the Futures level, it happens less than at the 16u and 18u leagues but absolutely does happen. The Hitmen showcase is one that was pretty well-attended by scouts-but since the Futures are usually the players at the showcase furthest from Division I/pro hockey you're not getting everyone. You gotta remember these are long days for the scouts..

The fees suck but are something that exist at most showcases, at least on the East Coast. Can't remember the last time it wasn't. Part of it is to encourage you to watch some of the other games and not just your kids, part of it is that it's really just not cheap to host these showcases. For your average USPHL game, outside of the Premier they're usually not charging from my experiences. Haven't been to every rink obviously but a good amount of them, and everything from Elite down has been free in my experiences.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
CT RAngers take 3 POINTS from the highly regarded South Shore Kings!!!
Great home stand for the Rangers as they went to an OT shootout Friday for the OT loss but came back strong Saturday for the win! good fast paced games to watch. Rangers seemed to be underated. Some very good players on that team.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
CT RAngers take 3 POINTS from the highly regarded South Shore Kings!!!
Great home stand for the Rangers as they went to an OT shootout Friday for the OT loss but came back strong Saturday for the win! good fast paced games to watch. Rangers seemed to be underated. Some very good players on that team.

Rangers problem at the moment to me seems to be inconsistency. Just my opinion, though.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
you are right. When they play hard they are in fact pretty good but have to do so more consistently .

Dec 13, 2010
John Marino (South Shore Kings), Lucas Michaud (Portland Jr Pirates) and Daniel Gysi (Springfield Pics) on this month's NHL Central Scouting Players to Watch. Gysi is a new entry, kid had really impressed this year.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
not passing judgement but alot of more successful kids inexplicable absent from USPHL, don't you think?

Dec 13, 2010
not passing judgement but alot of more successful kids inexplicable absent from USPHL, don't you think?

You mean Donato/Starrett specifically?

Donato is playing with his Prep School and also got some time with the USNTDP (don't understand why, he's too old) so he's not spending as much time there. Starrett is still injured I believe, but when I saw him at a rink about 6 weeks ago he seemed to be doing okay.

Not sure if any of the other bigger USPHL names have been missing, am I wrong?

At the 16U level Evan Barratt (top prospect from Comcast) broke his kneecap and I've heard from some people it's an 8 week injury and others have told me it's season ending. Saw him last night and he had on a full leg brace but was standing with crutches and seemed to be in good spirits. Hoping he makes a speedy recovery.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
what i am saying is there are MANY players that have been more dominating in the USPHL that are mysteriously left off that list. From what i have seen of the south shore boys i remain very unimpressed.

Garnan427

Jul 27, 2013
Ross Bartlett, Providence Caps U16. Stats are rapidly progressing. 3 goals, 2 shorthanded, and 2 assists, last game. Just another USPHL of the many that are not recognized as you suggest "jiebs".

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
I was referring to the premier level. While there is plenty of good talent at u16 i have always felt it inappropriate to focus recruiting efforts so young, especially when
so much really strong mature talent is obvious in the premier and ready to be recruited and contribute to a program next season.

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
So-Here it is-over half the Premier USPHL season is over-what's everyone's thoughts on teams/players/etc...A good amount of college commits have happened and are happening. Any players or teams performing better then expected? Any surprising new players-any thoughts on how the rankings might look before playoffs? I'm not from the east so curious to here your views on the USPHL being in their 2nd ? season. How do you think it's progressing? Is premier what you think it should be in terms of strenght? Etc-etc... :):hockey::hockey::hockey:

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Very surprised this season. Rochester playing better than the bottom teams, and Philadelphia is having an unbelievable year. Anyone else surprised on how the outcomes of the season are so far?

One of the most things I'm also surprised about is that the CJR are still unable to produce ANY D1 commits, after two years. Very shocked to see that they once again are a huge disappointment, and can't win any big games that are needed to be won. Makes me really wonder what is going on with the organization, since they practically got a new team, a new coach, and everything. Also, heard from one of the announcers that supposedly they played their captain, (D), as a (F) for a game against NJH. Very weird to move kids out of their positions, especially when it's their last year playing. The kid was moved back to (D) according to the boxscores, so maybe it was just something weird that came up that forced him to play (F) for that one game. We'll see.

Several kids that I've talked to from numerous teams say that scouts sometimes don't make amazing coaches, because they may be able to spot talent, but they can't exactly pinpoint WHY they're talented. Makes me wonder if this team will dissuade some of the West from getting involved in this league. I mean, they have a Blues Scout that completely failed his season as a coach. Hopefully something is to be done about them, since this league HAS to be competitive with the amount of little teams it has. All of the top teams definitely have talent, and it's blatant, which is something that is very promising with this league, HOWEVER, we still have not seen that level of talent from some of the lower teams. Hopefully the league doesn't have such a big gap from the top teams, to the lower teams next year, that's the only way I think this league will grow, if their games/seasons are more competitive, and not just the same 1-4 teams leading a pack of 10 teams every single season, committing the most kids.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
skimmed through the thread and did a search and came up with nothing so I apologize if this has been asked multiple times.

What are the import rules in USPHL and are they different at each level?

Dec 13, 2010
At the premier level, only two imports can dress at a time. Not sure about other levels.

On the note of other Premier-level players who were "snubbed" by NHLCS I don't really see it. The only 97 in the league not on that list who really strikes me as a guy with draft potential is PAL's Duszak.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Some of the players that were traded right before playoffs might be unable to play due to 10 game rule, must be rough for some kids if this is the case.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad