USPHL 2013-14 Season Thread

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Not unexpected as far as I'm concerned. I would have put the EJ on the same level of the NA if not even giving them the slight edge. I would expect the USPHL to approach the level of the USHL

I agree but you would think that Hitmen will be a top 2 USPHL team this season so the best USPHL dominated an average at best NAHL team. What would they have done against Amarillo or Wenatchee? And I believe in 2008 or so that EJHL and NAHL played in a tournament and I want to say that the NAHL won maybe 7 out of 10 games against EJHL teams. But that was many years ago. I'm sure numbers would change today. I expect USPHL to be on par with USHL for the 14-15 season.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I agree but you would think that Hitmen will be a top 2 USPHL team this season so the best USPHL dominated an average at best NAHL team. What would they have done against Amarillo or Wenatchee? And I believe in 2008 or so that EJHL and NAHL played in a tournament and I want to say that the NAHL won maybe 7 out of 10 games against EJHL teams. But that was many years ago. I'm sure numbers would change today. I expect USPHL to be on par with USHL for the 14-15 season.

Times have changed. I think you're going to be very surprised at the overall strength of the league. Do not think the hitmen are a guarantee to be a top 2 team by any means.

dangler71

Jul 11, 2007
Potsdam, NY

Times have changed. I think you're going to be very surprised at the overall strength of the league. Do not think the hitmen are a guarantee to be a top 2 team by any means.

Agreed with 3rd Guy, I think that over the past few years the strength of the EJ had surpassed the NA and the USPHL will be up even another step from where the EJ was last year. Not saying that the top NA teams couldnt give them a run for their money, but overall I believe the strength of the USPHL will be a notch above the NA this year and will be equal to that of the USHL in the next year or two.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Shout out to the clown that runs thejuniorhockeynews .com, speaking in absolutes regarding tier 2 and 3. Considering there aren't many US junior hockey boards out there, it was most definitely directed towards this one.

Guess he forgot to write an article on how a USPHL team smoked a NAHL team last week.

dangler71

Jul 11, 2007
Potsdam, NY
Shout out to the clown that runs thejuniorhockeynews .com, speaking in absolutes regarding tier 2 and 3. Considering there aren't many US junior hockey boards out there, it was most definitely directed towards this one.

Guess he forgot to write an article on how a USPHL team smoked a NAHL team last week.

Guy seems like a complete clown and clearly has no idea what he's talking about. Either that or he's an NA coach trying to attract players to his league. Either way he's just making himself look stupid by saying something like that.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Isn't talk of the USPHL being the USHL's equal within a season or two quite premature? The only way I can see that happening is if they are able to retain pretty much all of the eastern players as well as bringing in other players from abroad. In other words, the USPHL would level the playing field by weakening the USHL. Is that really the best thing for hockey development in the US? I'd rather there be one strong league than multiple weak leagues. The player base in the US is not going to support two full leagues that are both as strong as the current USHL is.

dangler71

Jul 11, 2007
Potsdam, NY
Isn't talk of the USPHL being the USHL's equal within a season or two quite premature? The only way I can see that happening is if they are able to retain pretty much all of the eastern players as well as bringing in other players from abroad. In other words, the USPHL would level the playing field by weakening the USHL. Is that really the best thing for hockey development in the US? I'd rather there be one strong league than multiple weak leagues. The player base in the US is not going to support two full leagues that are both as strong as the current USHL is.

I'm really surprised at how underrated junior hockey in the eastern us is around here. A team like the hitmen had last season ('12-'13) would not have been out of place in the USHL.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I'm really surprised at how underrated junior hockey in the eastern us is around here. A team like the hitmen had last season ('12-'13) would not have been out of place in the USHL.

They would have been in the lower tier of all teams in the USHL. If you look at the roster, Henke, Masters, and Funkey were all players that couldnt cut it in the USHL so they went to the EJHL.

Like I have said before until the USPHL is not a pay for play league, with Tier II status they are not going to get the caliber of talent the USHL is. Could it in the future, absolutely but not in the immediate future.

dangler71

Jul 11, 2007
Potsdam, NY
They would have been in the lower tier of all teams in the USHL. If you look at the roster, Henke, Masters, and Funkey were all players that couldnt cut it in the USHL so they went to the EJHL.

Like I have said before until the USPHL is not a pay for play league, with Tier II status they are not going to get the caliber of talent the USHL is. Could it in the future, absolutely but not in the immediate future.

Lower tier maybe, but if so at the top of the lower tier. Masters was not cut he was dismissed. Henke was probably not playing top six minutes in the USHL and as such his stats reflected that of a USHL third liner. With the hitmen he proved that when given the opportunity to play top six minutes he could produce. As far as Funkey is considered he's a goalie and to me that is a much different mentality then a player. It still amazes me how much people are discrediting the east. I'm not saying that the hitmen would be title contenders or anything like that. If I were to guess I would say they would have finished with somewhere around the record of Cedar Rapids last year.

end2endrush

Sep 6, 2012
From the east. Saw all EJ and USHL teams play last year. There is no doubt the Hitmen would have finished last place if they were in the USHL. Still a great team, though. And I would go as far as saying they would have been atop the NA. Also, the guy who runs thejuniorhockeynews.com is such a clown. Clearly a supporter of the watered down NAHL. It's funny because anyone who plays in the NA thinks its better than the EJ, kids in the EJ think opposite. Unique little rivalry there. And to a previous poster I would go ahead and say the Hitmen will most likely be top 2 in USPHL this year, if not then top 3 for sure. Would have liked to see them take on a stronger NA team than Jamestown. In the article the guy from TJHN wrote he backed up the Jamestown team saying they got in penalty trouble, every excuse in the book. He also reported the game was 4-1, but I thought I read it was 4-0. From what I heard, the Hitmen just completely outplayed them.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
USPHL website is up and it is very painful to navigate through. Rosters are up though. Any opinions?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
USPHL website is up and it is very painful to navigate through. Rosters are up though. Any opinions?

Are there any limitations on the number of overage ('93 born this season) players each team will be allowed to dress? Not a lot of young players or high end talent on those rosters from the looks of it.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
The league needs to get its act together about getting live stats onto its website as the game is going on.

This might be an isolated thing in Portland, but the PA announcer needs to announce the times of goals/penalties correctly. If a goal is scored with five minutes left to play in a period don't say "James Winkler scored at the five minute mark." It's suppose to be "James Winkler scored at the 15 minute mark."

Portland will be a competitive team this year compared to last year. They seem to taken on the underdog role. James Winkler is going to be a very good player.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
The league needs to get its act together about getting live stats onto its website as the game is going on.

This might be an isolated thing in Portland, but the PA announcer needs to announce the times of goals/penalties correctly. If a goal is scored with five minutes left to play in a period don't say "James Winkler scored at the five minute mark." It's suppose to be "James Winkler scored at the 15 minute mark."

Portland will be a competitive team this year compared to last year. They seem to taken on the underdog role. James Winkler is going to be a very good player.

Agree. Website is awful.

I think there are a few teams that are going to be intriguing this year.

Connecticut beat the Bruins 3-1 this past weekend. They are a very fast (although very small) team with alot of sleepers on their roster that can surprise. (Most notably on defense and in net.) They did lose to the Hitmen 10-0 the next day though so whether that was just collectively a very bad game or not remains to be seen.

Portland is also already surprising. Winkler, as mentioned, is a player to look out for. Have not seen much of them, but they seem to be a two line team.

Don't know what to think of PAL. They don't seem to have a team identity. They have some good players but play a plain brand of hockey. Lost to both the Flyers and Hitmen this past weekend. Again, still preseason, so who knows.

I think the Bruins are going to be at the bottom of the league this year. That's my opinion.

Overall, I really think this year is going to be the Hitmen, and then everyone else. Don't think the Islanders are on the same level as the Hitmen this year.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Selects Academy wins both U18 and U16 divisions at Jr Bruins Showcase. No mention of Premier teams

http://usphlprospects.blogspot.com/2013/09/selects-academy-sweeps-at-bruins.html

Seems like its being run by a U16 parent which really is a shame.

Overall, it seems like it was a pretty balanced weekend for the premier teams, with the outliers being the Hitmen and PAL. Hitmen at the top of the pack, PAL at the bottom.

I find it interesting that many teams have 4, 5 or 6 games played and the Yankees only have 1, which was the Breakers only loss thus far. Seems like they may be a team to watch out for. Breakers have beaten Middlesex, South Shore and Portland.

Hitmen went 3-0 which was no surprise, I just find it interesting that they won 5-1 against both Middlesex and the Kings.

PAL went 0-3. They were blown out by Middlesex. Might be a long season for that team. Watch out for James Anderson and Chris Makowski though. 96 and 95 that are leading their team in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad