USPHL 2013-14 Season Thread

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
So with all this talk about what the USPHL's future will be, specifically next season and being a fan-driven league, what do you think the footprint will be? I know the Jr. Pirates are trying to play in Lewiston next year which seats around 3,500. Johnstown has also been thrown out there as a possible expansion market.

Boston Jr. Bruins - New England Sports Center (1,000)
South Shore Kings - Foxboro Sports Center (350)
New Jersey Hitmen - Capital One Bank Ice Vault (1,500)
Philadelphia Flyers - Flyers Skate Zone Voorhees (500)
Islanders Hockey Club - J. Thom Lawler Rink (2,500)
PAL Jr. Islanders - Nassau Coliseum (17,000)
Bay State Breakers - The Bog Ice Arena (350)
Portland Jr. Pirates - Androscoggin Bank Colisee (3,000)
Connecticut Yankees - Rink at Chelsea Piers (350)

Other Markets
Johnstown, PA - Cambria County War Memorial (4,000)
Danbury, CT - Danbury Ice Arena (2,500)
Trenton, NJ - Sun National Bank Center (8,000)

This is partially inaccurate. PAL does not play out of the Coliseum, Middlesex does not play out of Merrimack's stadium seating riink (from what I'm aware), they play out of some second ice surface. The 1,500 for the Hitmen is extremely high compared to Chelsea Piers, Foxboro and Voorhees. Do not think this will be a fan-driven league anytime soon.

Regarding expansion, while I think the best move for them is to stay put at a 9 team league for another year or two to keep the league from really getting watered down like the EJ it replaced was, I highly doubt it'll happen. I can see the Americans, Pics and Monarchs joining the party next year and making it a 12 team league.

[MOD]

I wouldn't be surprised if the PAL Jr. Islanders decide to move to the Ferraro Bros Center on Long Island once that opens up. I think the bigger rink there is supposed to be able to seat a few hundred. Considering I saw a preseason OHL game in Mississauga at a 500 seat arena and it wasn't sold out I can't imagine much more than 3 would be needed for this.

I'm also curious about expansion in the next few years once the Kingsbridge Arena opens in the Bronx. I know for a fact they're looking at bringing a high-level junior team in, but I don't know if it would make sense for the USHL unless they go for that full-on expansion to the northeast people have been talking about forever. I feel like there will likely be a USPHL team playing there in a few years.

I'm curious about the Kingsbridge Arena too. I was thinking maybe the Yankees move into there if they're picked up by the rangers but I don;t know the politics behind it. Isn't the rink planned to be open in 2018 though?

Last edited by a moderator:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Please note that due to site policy, unsubstantiated rumors are not allowed to be posted. While some folks may have inside information, we unfortunately can't just take everyone's word at face value.

If there are any news stories from reputable sources on the matter corroborating said rumors, then they're more than welcome to be posted.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
A couple games remaining in the Premier Division..

I made some predictions and I have the Jr. Pirates finishing the year 1-4 and the Yankees finishing with a 4-5 record. This would put Portland 1 point ahead of Connecticut and keeping the Yankees out of the playoffs. (The last team does not make playoffs) Bruins or Hitmen win the league IMO

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
If Connecticut sweeps Portland this weekend, I see them making the playoffs. This weekend is huge for both teams.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
There goes playoffs for them. Watched the games on FastHockey, such stupidity by Yankees. First game, they could have easily won. They were leading 1-0 with 10 minutes left in the game. Portland scored two quick goals and I think if some of the forwards would have blocked one or two shots, Yankees could have easily won. In the second game, one of the Yankees top players took a stupid penalty and got thrown out, which cost them the game.

Dec 13, 2010
Bruins/Hitmen game today was great. Hard to imagine anybody could watch those two teams play and feel they couldn't compete with the best junior teams in this country. Excited for game 2 tomorrow, won't be able to actually drive out for it like I did today but will be on FastHockey

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
There goes playoffs for them. Watched the games on FastHockey, such stupidity by Yankees. First game, they could have easily won. They were leading 1-0 with 10 minutes left in the game. Portland scored two quick goals and I think if some of the forwards would have blocked one or two shots, Yankees could have easily won. In the second game, one of the Yankees top players took a stupid penalty and got thrown out, which cost them the game.

Also watched the games. Story of the season from what I've seen of them. They don't play as a unit. Their forwards like to do nothing but play offense, and leave their defense and goalie out to dry in the D zone. There was a stretch where they were dominant, using their Ds in the offensive zone to generate offense, as it was obvious Portlands strategy was to keep their wingers low at the dots to make them try to go 3 on 5. Too little too late for them. 9 PIMS in the third killed.

Portland did a good job trapping through the neutral zone and limiting the Yankees speed down low in their own zone. Did a very good job of using their size to their advantage, and minimizing the impact of the speed at the other end of the ice. Kept it simple, didn't do much flashy and came away with two wins.

Tough to see Portlands numbers on the stream, but Winkler and Starrett played very well. Wish I could provide more on them, but really can't see their numbers on the fasthockey stream.

Really impressed with 19 (D) and 10 (F) on the Yankees in the second game. 19 made some really good passes/plays under pressure breaking out and set up some good chances. Very few mistakes. 10 is an awesome two-way player, had a few really good chances to capitalize, plays the point on their PP and had a one-timer goal off of it. Very few mistakes from him too. I think both are D1 caliber, don't think either are committed. 26 (D) and 18 (F) also have alot of talent, but seem a little lazy/lost in the d zone. 14 (F) very talented with the puck.

I see the Hitmen coming out on top and winning the league. Hitmen/Bruins final.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Great post above...

As for Portland they played pretty well against a team that is pretty much even with them. Good 4 points earned and realistically clinched a playoff spot. CT has to either win out or come close to it and I believe they have a pair with the Bruins and Hitmen so it would be pretty tough for CT to still get in. Pirates' Winkler had his USHL rights traded from Muskegon to Youngstown and I've heard that Ohio is where he'll be playing until Northeastern. I'm sure Portland will miss him next year as he would probably be their best forward.

As much as I don't want to see it happen, it's going to be Bruins/Hitmen final... Hitmen win it all... again

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Have to agree with everything you said 3rd guy high. I definately think Hitmen will win it all, no doubt.

I've watched about 10 CT games, and everything you said was on point. I think 19 (D) is definately D1 Caliber, I think he has only had 3-4 games in the whole season where he went negative. He impresses me, he makes not alot of mistakes and knows when to join on the offensive rush, since he seems to be an Offensive D-Man. I agree with what you said about 10 (F) too, he is a great two-way forward in my opinion, doesn't make alot of mistakes, but not flashy. Just checked, both aren't commited.

I think 18 (F) has a good amount of skill too, but he seems very lazy in the defensive zone. 26 (D) seems to have some good talent too, but he makes stupid decisions too much, most of the games I've went to he was on the ice for the majority of the goals and gets caught too much. I also believe that 25 (F) is very good too, he is just extremely stupid and takes way too much penalties. If he can get more discipline, I think he would be pretty good, he's an excellent skater and passer it seems. 14 (F) seems to have a good amount of skill with the puck, but in some of the games I went to he skated mid ice, made a good breakout but then would never feed it to his winger or drop it back, and usually lost the puck.

I think that the Yankees play individually, and just don't know how to play together, as you said. I think they can be in the middle of the league next year if they keep some of their players. Looking at their scoresheets too, they have been leading in most games lately, they just can't close them out, take stupid penalties and throw the game.

Have to give credit to Portland though, they knew how to stop their speed, and used their bodies to get in the way. They knew their gameplan going into both of those games it seemed, good scouting in my opinion.

I also wish they would do +/- next season, I think that is a pretty huge stat for defensemen around the league.

I think that the Hitmen could easily beat the Bruins, and win it all. They just never seem to stop dominating.

Last edited:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Some scores from Wednesday the 12th...

Big upset as PAL beat the Hitmen 5-1: http://usphlwtt.stats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=2240314
Bruins squeak by IHC 4-3: http://usphlwtt.stats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=2240130

Foxboro Showcase is this weekend so lots of changes in the standings will ensue. This weekend the Yankees have a pair with the Bruins as the Hitmen take on Bay State and South Shore. Portland has PAL and Flyers. They've locked up the #8 seed and will play #1 seed. Bruins need two wins to clinch #1 seed and they can easily get that as they'll play CT for two this weekend.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Have to agree with everything you said 3rd guy high. I definately think Hitmen will win it all, no doubt.

I've watched about 10 CT games, and everything you said was on point. I think 19 (D) is definately D1 Caliber, I think he has only had 3-4 games in the whole season where he went negative. He impresses me, he makes not alot of mistakes and knows when to join on the offensive rush, since he seems to be an Offensive D-Man. I agree with what you said about 10 (F) too, he is a great two-way forward in my opinion, doesn't make alot of mistakes, but not flashy. Just checked, both aren't commited.

I think 18 (F) has a good amount of skill too, but he seems very lazy in the defensive zone. 26 (D) seems to have some good talent too, but he makes stupid decisions too much, most of the games I've went to he was on the ice for the majority of the goals and gets caught too much. I also believe that 25 (F) is very good too, he is just extremely stupid and takes way too much penalties. If he can get more discipline, I think he would be pretty good, he's an excellent skater and passer it seems. 14 (F) seems to have a good amount of skill with the puck, but in some of the games I went to he skated mid ice, made a good breakout but then would never feed it to his winger or drop it back, and usually lost the puck.

I think that the Yankees play individually, and just don't know how to play together, as you said. I think they can be in the middle of the league next year if they keep some of their players. Looking at their scoresheets too, they have been leading in most games lately, they just can't close them out, take stupid penalties and throw the game.

Have to give credit to Portland though, they knew how to stop their speed, and used their bodies to get in the way. They knew their gameplan going into both of those games it seemed, good scouting in my opinion.

I also wish they would do +/- next season, I think that is a pretty huge stat for defensemen around the league.

I think that the Hitmen could easily beat the Bruins, and win it all. They just never seem to stop dominating.

Seems that we agree on pretty much everything. A check on the USPHL website shows #10 Chad Goldberg as committed to Tufts. Apparently he's a 93. Seems like time has just run out for him. Unfortunate.

Also agree that this league should really step up and keep +/- next year. I believe teams like the Bruins do it, but it would be nice for it to be on the website for everyone to see. I know it's commonly looked at as a ****** statistic, but if you're a top defenseman on a team at the bottom of the league and pulling a plus, or pulling a negative on a team like the Hitmen, it can say a lot. As long as it's used in context.

As far as uncommitted players, here are a few that I think are tops in the league and really should be pulling more college attention:

Joe Lappin (F) SSK
Brandon Bistodeau (F) PFL
Chad Lehigh (D) PFL
Andrew Debrincat (D) NJH
Pat Condon (D) BSB
Pat Schule (F) NJH
Nick Abbene (D) CTY
Ty Gradwell (D) BSB
Cameron Heath (D) PAL
James Anderson (F) PAL (He is a 96 and has alot of time though)

Some scores from Wednesday the 12th...

Big upset as PAL beat the Hitmen 5-1: http://usphlwtt.stats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=2240314
Bruins squeak by IHC 4-3: http://usphlwtt.stats.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=2240130

Foxboro Showcase is this weekend so lots of changes in the standings will ensue. This weekend the Yankees have a pair with the Bruins as the Hitmen take on Bay State and South Shore. Portland has PAL and Flyers. They've locked up the #8 seed and will play #1 seed. Bruins need two wins to clinch #1 seed and they can easily get that as they'll play CT for two this weekend.

Big upset with PAL beating the Hitmen by a 5-1 score this week. Didn't see the game, but from stat-watching it seems as if Anderson and Broderick were a big part of their success.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Yea. Anderson seems to be doing very well in this league considering he's a 96. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a D1 commitment in the upcoming years, based on his performance when he's so young. I agree with your list above completely.

Didn't Broderick get traded recently too? I think he's a 93, hopefully he can find somewhere to go. Anyone see the PAL v Hitmen game this weekend? I wasn't able to make the trip. Was it a huge blowout or just a few lucky bounces for PAL?

Dec 13, 2010
From NJH, I really like Schule a lot, see some good potential in the kid. Debrincat I'm slightly less high on. He seems very average overall, I don't see anything in his game I really dislike but there's not much that really stands out either.

Chris Funkey, NJH goalie is probably the best uncommitted player in my mind.

Also, which one of you runs the USPHL Prospects blog? Good stuff.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
From NJH, I really like Schule a lot, see some good potential in the kid. Debrincat I'm slightly less high on. He seems very average overall, I don't see anything in his game I really dislike but there's not much that really stands out either.

Chris Funkey, NJH goalie is probably the best uncommitted player in my mind.

Also, which one of you runs the USPHL Prospects blog? Good stuff.

Don't really watch goalies enough to make a comment on him. Debrincat is smart, and you can't argue with his point production. I'm not really sold on him producing at the college level as he is not overly fast and extremely small, but I'd imagine someone takes a gamble on him based on production alone which is why he's on my list.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
Wish I could go, won't be able to though. Don't think there will be any good games though. I presume the weekend would look like this:

Hitmen - 2-0
Bruins - 3-0
Flyers - 2-0
IHC - 1-0
PAL - 1-0
BSB - 0-2
SSK - 0-2
CTY - 0-3
PJP - 0-2

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
My Hockey Rankings for Tier 3 junior...

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2013&a=5&v=1803

1. Hitmen
2. Bruins
4. Flyers
6. Kings
9. IHC
10. PAL
11. Rochester Elite
12. Breakers
14. Pics Elite
16. Monarchs EHL
18. Yankees
20. Pirates

Doesn't mean a whole lot but it shows USPHL should be adding Rochester and Springfield to the Premier Division for next year. As for the Monarchs, they will be staying in the EHL as they have announced tryouts for the 14-15 EHL season.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad