USPHL 2013-14 Season Thread

Native New Yorker

Feb 24, 2014
Jr. Bruins/ IHC

Not surprised the Islanders beat the Junior Bruins. B's are very good but not untouchable. IHC has to be the biggest enigma in the league this year. They have a very good team when they all show up to play. Must have a dozen D-I commits and a couple of the hardest hitting toughest kids in the league. Really liked 3, 7, 16 & 27. I remember some of those kids from Beantown tourneys and CT prep so might be a little bias but they have a strong team when it's all working. Looking at their record that hasn't been the case for better than 1/2 their season. If they ever sort it out they will be a tough team in the playoffs.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Not surprised the Islanders beat the Junior Bruins. B's are very good but not untouchable. IHC has to be the biggest enigma in the league this year. They have a very good team when they all show up to play. Must have a dozen D-I commits and a couple of the hardest hitting toughest kids in the league. Really liked 3, 7, 16 & 27. I remember some of those kids from Beantown tourneys and CT prep so might be a little bias but they have a strong team when it's all working. Looking at their record that hasn't been the case for better than 1/2 their season. If they ever sort it out they will be a tough team in the playoffs.

Welcome to the forums, nice to see a fresh opinion in here. Personally I feel 3 is a tad overrated (his breakouts under pressure mostly consist of wrapping the puck around the boards which can become a nightmare for forwards at times), but I can see why people like him. Everyone oozes over big, tall players that can skate. Agree with the other kids though. Also like 26 and I think 17 has alot of potential. I think they're the biggest wildcard going into playoffs.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
USPHL Playoff Update:

BJB defeat PJP 2-0
NJH defeat BSB 2-0
IHC defeat PHI 2-1
SSK defeat PAL 2-1

Select's Academy won both U18 and U16 Divisions

EDIT: For Round 2 it will be

BJB vs. IHC
NJH vs. SSK

Last edited:

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
USPHL Playoff Update:

BJB defeat PJP 2-0
NJH defeat BSB 2-0
IHC defeat PHI 2-1
SSK defeat PAL 2-1

Select's Academy won both U18 and U16 Divisions

EDIT: For Round 2 it will be

BJB vs. IHC
NJH vs. SSK

Really no shockers there. A little disappointed Philly declined so much from the midpoint of the season and didnt make it past the first round. Would have been nice to see one of the "expansion" teams make an impact.

Native New Yorker

Feb 24, 2014
There's been good parity in the USPHL at the Premier level. Lower teams in the standings routinely beat teams at the top and that's what you really hope for in any league. I disagree in wanting the Flyers to make it through. Would have rather seen LI tip over the Kings. The Islanders, on paper, should have won that series and did. They have better players and in a playoff atmosphere that's what usually wins out. I like the IHC over the Bruins in the next round too. It looks like they are coming around at the right time and with all the weapons they have can certainly run with, (or over) the Jr B's. Going to also pick the Hitmen over the Kings. Hitmen are just too big and too strong for the smaller Kings to handle. In any event, my team is out so have no horse in this race. All and all it's been a pretty successful 1st season in the USPHL Premier.

IHC win series over Bruins 2 games to 1 and advance
NJH win series over Kings 2 games to 0 and advance

NJH vs IHC Final

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
There's been good parity in the USPHL at the Premier level. Lower teams in the standings routinely beat teams at the top and that's what you really hope for in any league. I disagree in wanting the Flyers to make it through. Would have rather seen LI tip over the Kings. The Islanders, on paper, should have won that series and did. They have better players and in a playoff atmosphere that's what usually wins out. I like the IHC over the Bruins in the next round too. It looks like they are coming around at the right time and with all the weapons they have can certainly run with, (or over) the Jr B's. Going to also pick the Hitmen over the Kings. Hitmen are just too big and too strong for the smaller Kings to handle. In any event, my team is out so have no horse in this race. All and all it's been a pretty successful 1st season in the USPHL Premier.

IHC win series over Bruins 2 games to 1 and advance
NJH win series over Kings 2 games to 0 and advance

NJH vs IHC Final

I like the Kings a lot. Their top lines are deadly and also have solid D. Does anyone know if the Premier champ is going to Tier 3 Nationals?

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Either team winning would have been fine by me. I actually did think PAL was going to beat out SSK. Looks like their offense had a tough time. And yuck another NJH vs IHC final? Would rather see SSK vs BJB. Don't see that happening though. Going to stick to my guns and predict a Hitmen vs Bruins final.

As far as nationals, I read somewhere a while back that they would be, don't know how much substance was behind it. It certainly wasnt anything official.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Boston Jr. Bruins win championship series 2-0 after a 5-4 victory over the New Jersey Hitmen on Thursday afternoon. So, is Nationals next? Can't wait to see them dominate to silence all these new "scouts"

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Boston Jr. Bruins win championship series 2-0 after a 5-4 victory over the New Jersey Hitmen on Thursday afternoon. So, is Nationals next? Can't wait to see them dominate to silence all these new "scouts"

No surprise. Time to look forward to nationals and next year.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
It's official that Rochester and Springfield will both join Premier for next season and not field an Elite team.

Dec 13, 2010
It's official that Rochester and Springfield will both join Premier for next season and not field an Elite team.

This is a good move for sure. The Pics are for sure good enough to be a competitor in the Premier and I'm sure Rochester will hold their own as well. I like expanding the league, hope there's at least one more new addition.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If they keep adding teams then what was even the point to create this league? It's just going to turn into the EJ again. This league wasn't that much greater than the EJ, and by adding Rochester and Springfield they are going to join Portland and the Yankees as the bottom feeder teams. It'd be nice if they could get the Monarchs to join. It is and always will be a 4 team race for the top junior team in the northeast. Jr Bruins, Hitmen, South Shore, NH Monarchs. You could throw in the Islanders, I think eventually they will be good. But the USPHL will never compete with the USHL, until it attains tier 1 or even 2 affiliation, and they need a draft.

Dec 13, 2010
If they keep adding teams then what was even the point to create this league? It's just going to turn into the EJ again. This league wasn't that much greater than the EJ, and by adding Rochester and Springfield they are going to join Portland and the Yankees as the bottom feeder teams. It'd be nice if they could get the Monarchs to join. It is and always will be a 4 team race for the top junior team in the northeast. Jr Bruins, Hitmen, South Shore, NH Monarchs. You could throw in the Islanders, I think eventually they will be good. But the USPHL will never compete with the USHL, until it attains tier 1 or even 2 affiliation, and they need a draft.

Because even the NAHL and USHL have teams that aren't as great every year? I don't think they should expand like crazy but a 12 team league would be good, especially if they could eventually grab the Monarchs. It's a starter league and I'm sure they don't want it to sit at 8 teams every year. At the end of the day it's a business for everybody involved...the Pics I think are more than good enough to compete in this league and I don't necessarily think Rochester will sit at the bottom of the standings every year. If you want to make it only the top teams, I guess you just make it a 6-team operation. I think this is just good for the overall growth. The other teams will want to get better.

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
I somehow feel like the Yankees won't be such a big upset. I know a few people who can get insider information, and the Yankees have BIG plans for next year.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Pirates above .500. New coach and knows what to look for after last year, nobody really knew what the talent of the league was going to be last season

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I somehow feel like the Yankees won't be such a big upset. I know a few people who can get insider information, and the Yankees have BIG plans for next year.

I don't know about that. It worries me that they have not even announced tryout dates yet. Only a few weeks away from tryout season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Pirates above .500. New coach and knows what to look for after last year, nobody really knew what the talent of the league was going to be last season

Should be interesting to see. Yankees are getting a new coach from what I hear too. Seems like every other team is staying status quo.

I really think the league should top out as a 12 team league. I don't think we'll see the Monarchs there, but who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad