USMNT Thread Part VIII

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Bradley isn't the singular cause of the problems. But he's a symptom of the greater concerns of the team. He should have been phased out, and if not, at least utilized better. If he's the best they have, then find ways to utilize some of his strengths. If he's not the best player they've got to do what they need, then get someone else. At 32, he shouldn't be setup to be in this next cycle of players. He shouldn't be playing the minutes given to him.

That isn't all his fault, but it leads to more questions about whether or not management is ready to move forward.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
i ain't scared of canada

the US as much as they struggle are still better and have a better roster than Canada of all countries :laugh:
LOL. Longer than I had thought (1992)

Also Canada last qualified for a WC in 1986

Remind me again why I should fear Canada
Jonathan David and Alphonso Davies are both awesome (I'm very very high on David specifically), but neither is anywhere near Pulisic, c'mon now

1170886212.jpg.0.jpg

Reactions: Mike Mills

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it an important match? Ultimately, no. But so what? We should be beating minnows. If Dortmund had lost to FC Schweinberg in their summer friendly, it wouldn't actually matter, but you'd still be pretty pissed

I just think it’s a huge overreaction. People are saying it’s as bad as the loss to Trinidad. That game was to go to the World Cup. This is, for all intents and purposes, a friendly against a mid-level team in the region.

And of course we should win, but the team is in transition. You are going to have results like this when you are not an in form team. What reason, given our roster and the coaching, should we expect to be better than we’ve been?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean he was absolutely awful the past two games.... easily the worst player the past two games for the US.

Exaggeration. He didn’t gift a goal like Bradley or Ream did.

He was bad. So what? First, he was too good against the minnows. Now, people complain when he has two bad games against them. Can’t win with some people. They are always going to be grumpy about something.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Losing to Canada for the first time in 34 years just shows the USMNT is continuing on their downtrend. What does the USMNT need to do to show just how terrible they are in your eyes? Legit question because I'm not sure.

I think you missed the point where I acknowledged it’s a team in transition. The people who are expecting good results right now are the ones who might need to adjust expectations.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think you missed the point where I acknowledged it’s a team in transition. The people who are expecting good results right now are the ones who might need to adjust expectations.

I think this is an area of US Soccer discourse that is most contradicting. People across the media and fans both acknowledge the program is in transition but are not willing to give the team the time to grow. It's going to be a process not an over night change.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I just think it’s a huge overreaction. People are saying it’s as bad as the loss to Trinidad. That game was to go to the World Cup. This is, for all intents and purposes, a friendly against a mid-level team in the region.

And of course we should win, but the team is in transition. You are going to have results like this when you are not an in form team. What reason, given our roster and the coaching, should we expect to be better than we’ve been?

No it isn't an overreaction, not even close.

In fact it's even worse than the Couva debacle; at least we created a few decent chances here and there against T&T. Yesterday we had exactly one good chance and didn't look threatening at all outside of that. Pulisic for all his faults recently (especially messing up that one chance) should not have been subbed off, and certainly not for Arriola. Where were the adjustments when we went down 1-0? Why did Canada outhustle us despite not being the ones trailing? Why was Morris of all people the only one who looked likely to do anything offensively? And why the **** does Roldan continue to start on this team?

Simply put, the team ****ing laid an egg in terms of effort and tactics. Why shouldn't we be up in arms about that?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Berhalter was brought in (by his brother) to be a puppet. Not to up-level the team. Went from Gulati to Gulati Jr to keep the status quo. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: sabremike

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

The United States has levels more talent than Canada (or T&T, who itself has more talent than Canada). Losing that game, even in a road friendly, is calamitous. You can't just excuse the coaching because that's part of it. Berhalter should be out. We should be refocusing on development and having a decent manager. There's one in Salzburg if we need inspiration.

You just can't lose to CONCACAF minnows on the heels of not qualifying because of T&T.

I think this is an area of US Soccer discourse that is most contradicting. People across the media and fans both acknowledge the program is in transition but are not willing to give the team the time to grow. It's going to be a process not an over night change.
I'm fine giving the team time to grow. I'm not expecting them to beat Mexico or Poland or Denmark or Senegal or teams like that. I get that there are growing pains. Hell, I really came into my Blues fandom after the first lockout. I've given Arsenal the same benefit of time over the last few days. And I also get that this probably isn't our A team and there are people missing, etc. etc. etc. But we shouldn't be losing these games, especially in the manner we lost.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA

Is wanting to not lose to Canada and look like **** while at it really that high of an expectation for you? Come on dude.

Baffling how anyone can still cry foul about "overreactions" considering our run of form under Berhalter against any half-decent opponent, friendly or competitive match.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When you have a team that looks like the soccer version of the Phil Housley Sabres, that is on the coaching and in no way acceptable. The USMNT last night showed the pace, skill level and decision making you would see from a terrible USL 1 side. It was a complete embarrassment and the best most skilled CMNT just flattening us like a pancake came as absolutely no surprise to me whatsoever.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Exaggeration. He didn’t gift a goal like Bradley or Ream did.

He was bad. So what? First, he was too good against the minnows. Now, people complain when he has two bad games against them. Can’t win with some people. They are always going to be grumpy about something.
But he didn’t do anything at all. Ream was fantastic the first game. The next game he might not have been the best but he still wasn’t bad. Bradley you can’t blame for that when he getting no help. Yes Bradley wasn’t great but there was also no expectation of him. Pulisic is relied upon to create offense. He had one good run against Cuba and he scored a penalty. That’s it. He did nothing against Canada. He wasn’t really involved in any of the goals against Cuba. Pulisic was not good in the slightest. It’s really bad when an MLS player (granted a really good one and one of my favorite players) is upstaging you at the same position. Morris cemented his spot in the starting lineup with this camp. Maybe they switch systems so Pulisic can be more central but he was not good in the slightest out left or right.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No it isn't an overreaction, not even close.

In fact it's even worse than the Couva debacle; at least we created a few decent chances here and there against T&T. Yesterday we had exactly one good chance and didn't look threatening at all outside of that. Pulisic for all his faults recently (especially messing up that one chance) should not have been subbed off, and certainly not for Arriola. Where were the adjustments when we went down 1-0? Why did Canada outhustle us despite not being the ones trailing? Why was Morris of all people the only one who looked likely to do anything offensively? And why the **** does Roldan continue to start on this team?

Simply put, the team ****ing laid an egg in terms of effort and tactics. Why shouldn't we be up in arms about that?

Because the game is nearly irrelevant. "Nations League" game a year after the World Cup. Technically an official game, but doesn't qualify us for anything, nor does the competition have any prestige. If you have this much time to get mad about a meaningless game against a mid-level team, you have a lot of time on your hands. No one will remember this game in a month. I doubt most people could even remember the score of the Mexico game a month ago, and that was a game against our biggest rival.

If you are seriously going to claim that this loss matters more than not qualifying for the WC, you are out to lunch on this issue.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The United States has levels more talent than Canada (or T&T, who itself has more talent than Canada). Losing that game, even in a road friendly, is calamitous. You can't just excuse the coaching because that's part of it. Berhalter should be out. We should be refocusing on development and having a decent manager. There's one in Salzburg if we need inspiration.

I agree with all of what you are saying, but why is it a surprise? If you expect there's a significant likelihood that these results are going to happen, why get so mad and throw out all these incredulous responses to the game? It takes away from real complaints when every bad result for a rebuilding team generates such overreactions. How can we figure out what really matters if everything is always the end of the world for the National Team?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
But he didn’t do anything at all. Ream was fantastic the first game. The next game he might not have been the best but he still wasn’t bad. Bradley you can’t blame for that when he getting no help. Yes Bradley wasn’t great but there was also no expectation of him. Pulisic is relied upon to create offense. He had one good run against Cuba and he scored a penalty. That’s it. He did nothing against Canada. He wasn’t really involved in any of the goals against Cuba. Pulisic was not good in the slightest. It’s really bad when an MLS player (granted a really good one and one of my favorite players) is upstaging you at the same position. Morris cemented his spot in the starting lineup with this camp. Maybe they switch systems so Pulisic can be more central but he was not good in the slightest out left or right.

Bradley was at least partly at fault for that goal. He has no business being in the team. He should've been gone years ago, but he's in good with Berhalter and co, so he'll remain. He has a lot of friends in the media that he played with who also go to bat for him. Roldan was another one who was absolutely terrible in these games.

As for Pulisic, I guess we now found out that he was sick during these games, so that explains why he struggled against some teams he'd usually dominate.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I agree with all of what you are saying, but why is it a surprise? If you expect there's a significant likelihood that these results are going to happen, why get so mad and throw out all these incredulous responses to the game? It takes away from real complaints when every bad result for a rebuilding team generates such overreactions. How can we figure out what really matters if everything is always the end of the world for the National Team?
It's a surprise because we should never expect to lose to Canada. So losing is surprising. Being ambivalent toward the loss is how you let it become acceptable.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't hate him.

He just isn't that good.

He isn't our best player.
I mean, he hasn’t been the best player for the US (though I think sitting the pine for his club hasn’t helped), but he’s the most talented.

who do you suggest is the best out of curiosity?

I don’t think anyone is without blame for a lot of what is wrong with the US national team, but I don’t know that Pulisic is enemy #1 either.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean, he hasn’t been the best player for the US (though I think sitting the pine for his club hasn’t helped), but he’s the most talented.

who do you suggest is the best out of curiosity?

I don’t think anyone is without blame for a lot of what is wrong with the US national team, but I don’t know that Pulisic is enemy #1 either.
I think there’s a good argument that Weston is better

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

That’s exactly the thing, they are in transition so why the f*** are they not only keeping players like Bradley around but starting him/playing him significant minutes? If they truly are in transition, get him the f*** out. Make the correct coaching hire. Prepare for the next World Cup qualifying cycle by bringing in the next generation of players.

I agree in the grand scheme this loss doesn’t matter and it’s only Canada, but if you are in transition why the f*** are you playing Bradley against Canada? Clearly he can’t even hold up against a team like Canada, but he’s going to stick around through the transition?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's a surprise because we should never expect to lose to Canada. So losing is surprising. Being ambivalent toward the loss is how you let it become acceptable.

I'm not ambivalent about how the NT is playing. I'm not jumping off the deep end because we lost this game. We've been trending badly since the 2014 WC. That team wasn't even good. They lucked out into making the second round, and got absolutely dominated by Belgium. Anyone should've seen it coming for years with the players that were being produced. The 2018 World Cup cycle was exactly what fans should've seen coming, and the damage was severe. You can't undo it by switching to the 2022 cycle. I actually think things are improving, but it's not going to happen overnight. It might not improve tangibly for another cycle.

This team needed a full rebuild, and its not the type of thing that can be expedited. It all comes down to how quickly players develop. We lost like two generations of players. From around the Bradley/Altidore era, who were huge disappointments anyway with how their careers turned out, to the Pulisic/McKennie/Adams era, that's about ten years where we probably haven't produced the types of players that can be the main players in the National Team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad