USMNT Thread Part VIII

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Because the game is nearly irrelevant. "Nations League" game a year after the World Cup. Technically an official game, but doesn't qualify us for anything, nor does the competition have any prestige. If you have this much time to get mad about a meaningless game against a mid-level team, you have a lot of time on your hands. No one will remember this game in a month. I doubt most people could even remember the score of the Mexico game a month ago, and that was a game against our biggest rival.

If you are seriously going to claim that this loss matters more than not qualifying for the WC, you are out to lunch on this issue.

Yesterday's loss is a microcosm of every goddamn game we've played against a half-decent opponent while under Berhalter and his "tactics" and roster choices. You say Canada is a mid-tier team...well, based on that logic what does it say about us that we lost to them, hm?

You're kidding yourself if you think this loss doesn't matter in the slightest.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I would agree with the idea of "transitioning" this year if we didn't spend 13 months with an interim head coach after October 10, 2017. Obviously missing a World Cup is embarrassing, but the powers that be should've taken that as an opportunity to take a step back and look at everything from top to bottom and truly rebuild the federation. Never happened. We had to practically drag Gulati out as president where if it was any other top tier footballing nation the president and head coach would've resigned immediately. We have this long drawn election where we choose Gulati's vice-president who talked a big game, but was purely status quo. And then the hiring process was botched by cutting off a good portion of great coaches because they don't speak English. There are couple things that come to my mind when they were going through this "search" is that US Soccer either takes the fan base for granted, thinks its stupid, or truly disconnected. And then you hear this nugget earlier doesn't help matters.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with the cronyism that everyone always mentions, but to me it’s a bad excuse. Look at the Argentine federation. They are about as corrupt as there is, yet they don’t miss the World Cup. The cronyism doesn’t help, but plenty of federations are corrupt. The Mexican federation is plenty corrupt and their National Team has been beating ours a lot recently.

At the end of the day, it comes down to players and I think it’s missing the larger point when people act like we are where we are because the federation is corrupt. A lot of the loudest voices on twitter have brainwashed people into thinking it’s cronyism, meanwhile they take part and direct commentary in certain directions due to their own cronyism. It’s quite funny and pathetic, but I don’t like the discussion because it’s a distraction about the real issue. It’s a way that certain people can avoid a blow to their pride that our players aren’t good enough.

The federation doesn’t make Roldan a mediocre player or Ream a mediocre player. Yes, we can complain at the margins about squad selection, coaching, but it misses the larger point. We might not have these results if the federation was well run, but if we came up against a good team and were using these caliber of players, we’d get the floor wiped with us.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The federation doesn’t make Roldan a mediocre player or Ream a mediocre player. Yes, we can complain at the margins about squad selection, coaching, but it misses the larger point. We might not have these results if the federation was well run, but if we came up against a good team and were using these caliber of players, we’d get the floor wiped with us.
Fine but coaching can put those players in a better position for success. And rebuilding a national team requires a decent federation.

Reactions: Pouchkine

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
To me it comes down to these simple things.

The process was setup for Berhalter to get picked, and it was a flawed process that sent us down this path.

Berhalter as a coach is a MLS coach, he does not adapt to the players around him and the teams he faces. He is used to oppositions that are of similar low quality in the MLS and that allows managers like him to stick to his system no matter what. Peter Vermes who was also on the shortlist for this job would have the same issues.

The players themselves just aren't good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pouchkine

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think there’s a good argument that Weston is better
Maybe.

One is playing for his club, the other is struggling to get minutes.

I do think there's a bit more pressure on an attacking player, especially when the rest of the offense is so poor.

I wouldn't disagree with that assessment, but I don't know that it's clear cut.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Good to see Dest pick the USMNT. Honestly think he's our first choice LB for a while now until Gloster develops (or someone else). Have good depth on the right between Yedlin and Cannon. Obviously this is assuming that Berhalter scraps his pseudo 5 man backine and Adams plays at CM where we desperately need him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Good to see Dest pick the USMNT. Honestly think he's our first choice LB for a while now until Gloster develops (or someone else). Have good depth on the right between Yedlin and Cannon. Obviously this is assuming that Berhalter scraps his pseudo 5 man backine and Adams plays at CM where we desperately need him.
I think it was the right choice for him.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I think it was the right choice for him.

I think so too. He's come up through the US ranks for years now and has a good rapport with some of the guys who will likely be part of the core for the forseeable future. If he doesn't get any better than he is today, he is still likely a starter for the national team, or in the 18 at the very least. That is not a guarantee with the Netherlands. He has a way better chance of starting in a World Cup with the USMNT than with them.

Reactions: YNWA14

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Btw what would best possible team USA look like right now?

Horvath
Dest - Miazga - Brooks - Yedlin
Pulisic - McKennie - Morales - Adams
Weah - Sargent

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Horvath
Weah - Sargent

Steffen is better than Horvath right now. Not sure about Morales and don't think Weah is there quite yet as he's been injured for a while. Unfortunately I still think Jozy is the best striker right now, although Sargent has been in pretty good form the past couple of weeks. And Yedlin still might be the best right back, but honestly I think Cannon has made a good case for himself. Yedlin is only fast and he's not good enough defensively and he's not good enough offensively to make up for his defense.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Romain Gall got a chance? He actually has great offensive skills but he is super lazy.

I wouldn't mind giving Gall a look. He got called up at least once last year, but not sure if he got into any games. Also I'm not sure how he's getting on with Malmo this season

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Horvath
Weah - Sargent
Probably

Pulisic-Sargent/Jozy-Boyd/Weah maybe
McKennie-Bradley/Roldan-Adams
Dest-Brooks-Miazga/Long-Yedlin
Steffen

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

Horvath
Weah - Sargent

I would be reaaalllly interested in seeing this:

------Jozy----Sargent
Pulisic------------Nagbe
---------Mckennie
---------Adams
Dest---Brooks-Miazga---Yedlin
---------Steffen

However, I think that Nagbe is fully out of favor nowadays because of rejecting the callups. If Boyd or Weah were in form, maybe them. In addition, the lineup still really depends on the opponent. We don't play something like the above against the elites of the world, but I wouldn't worry about playing it against Mexico.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What all these lineups show is that we lack either the talent or experience up top, we have a flawed midfield, and uncertainty in the back 4. Not a good place to be, and that's not even considering that disastrous system and coaching we have.

Sep 19, 2008
Episode 107: A primer on some of U.S. Soccer’s dysfunction, including its problem with Latinos, from Mike Woitalla
10/29/19 by Adam Belz
Web player: Podplayer - Podcast Addict web player
Episode: https://cdn.simplecast.com/audio/78...52c/scuffed-vol-107-final_tc.mp3?aid=rss_feed
Mike Woitalla, the executive editor of Soccer America, who broke the story about the Youth Soccer Diversity Task Force that includes almost zero people of Latino descent, joins the podcast. He discusses the “mind-boggling” omission on the diversity task force (still not rectified as far as we know), the purge that’s occurred in the men’s youth national team coaching ranks (including Tab Ramos’s exit to take the Dynamo job), and the lack of grassroots American soccer expertise at Soccer House.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Dest choses the path of least resistance. Smart on him. I think he doubts he is Oranje material for the long run. Outstanding news for Ajax as well, as they get a stronger position on the American market, which they already do great at recently with the opening of a new office.

ajax-new-york-1000x562.jpg

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad