GDT: Us Vs the Blues Clues |6PMish I think | Need cats

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think the weak division they play in masks many deficiencies of this team. I can see their playoff arc being identical to one they just went through in Edmonton. Adding Pietrangelo didn't do anything to address the scoring issues they continue to have. Good teams have realized it's easy to shut the Knights down simply by clogging the middle of the defensive zone & blocking point shots.

Minnesota has gotten a lot of practice at this for our most likely first round matchup.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Smith's having one dreadful season so far(he's on pace for nearly 29 points in a 82 game season), if he can turn it around for a strong finish that'd be great.

The real issue for him and his linemates are the lousy power play stats they have put up. That can turn in a game or two, although its clear we all have our doubts of how the PP will ever get fixed with this staff. The 5v5 numbers for him aren't great, but not horrendous. He's at 5.7 expected goals and he's scored 4 so that too could turn around in a couple of games. In general, I think this line is the biggest victim of the switch to PDB. They are better in open ice and playing fast on offense. While all three are decent grinders who can get a cycle going, far more of their goals come from rushes and fluid passing.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I was going to post about this today after looking at the stats last night. I knew he was not having a good season but my god I didn't realize how bad it was. We have 3 defensemen with more points than Smith at this point and it would be 4 if Petro hadn't misssed 1/3 of the season. After an 11 game hot streak Nosek now has as many points as Smith has this season. Alec Martinez who is not known for his offense has more assists than Smith has points.

It's amazing this has been a top 3 team this season with no one outside of Stone, Pacioretty and Theodore showing up offensively. Gonna need the usual Avalanche injury crisis to have any chance to beat them in the postseason with the second line playing the way it has.

Going to need to find a way to beat Minnesota before even thinking about the Avs.

In all honestly, I see a series against the Wild going the same way as our series against Dallas last season.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I don't. I doubt we beat the Avs, but I have a sneaking suspicion we beat Minnesota. Of course, trades and injuries can change all that. I do agree we have some masked deficiencies, as do all teams. I see a few strengths and a few big problems - obviously the power play, and also losing faceoffs. Getting some meaningful goals on the power play (we're ranked 24th, but that's a mirage, we're worse than that, we've scored multiple power play goals in games already decided that were meaningless, when it counts, ours is dreadful) opens up the rest of the ice so teams can't just pack it in and make their goalies look like the second coming of Hasek.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I don't. I doubt we beat the Avs, but I have a sneaking suspicion we beat Minnesota. Of course, trades and injuries can change all that. I do agree we have some masked deficiencies, as do all teams. I see a few strengths and a few big problems - obviously the power play, and also losing faceoffs. Getting some meaningful goals on the power play (we're ranked 24th, but that's a mirage, we're worse than that, we've scored multiple power play goals in games already decided that were meaningless, when it counts, ours is dreadful) opens up the rest of the ice so teams can't just pack it in and make their goalies look like the second coming of Hasek.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't think we're a legit Cup contender as currently constructed. We need a significant upgrade to the bottom 6 and Reaves/Kolesar simply can't be in the lineup at the same time.

That said, I don't think there's a chance in hell we're not playing Colorado in the 2nd round. Minnesota is a few years out from really being in the mix. They've got abysmal centers and no real team identity. They're not tough to play against and also not super skilled. They also don't have a goalie that I think can steal an entire series. And whoever gets the 4th spot is just going to get smoked.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Oh look we have a GDT for todays game :sarcasm: Man am I prepared...... and Lazy

tenor.gif

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
With the low amount of participation, I really like the idea of season matchup game threads this season.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Minnesota is 5th in the league in goals allowed. That fact alone is enough to make me concerned about playing them.

Also they just beat us 4 times in a row so we’ve given them way too much extra confidence.

The number of goals our team scored in those games was 0, 3, 2 and 1. In the game with 3 goals, Coghlan scored all 3 of the goals.

In one of the recent games McNabb scored a goal.

So our defenseman scored 4 goals and everyone else scored 2 in those 4 games.

I can’t believe we let them score a couple of power play goals too. That is a major weakness of theirs that our team should be able to handle. Hopeful in a playoff series, that would change and it could be enough to make the difference in a low scoring series. Not having Lehner lose a shootout (or our shooters fail to score in a shootout) should help too.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Hague and Glass were sent down to TS yesterday. CapFriendly doesn't show that Hague was brought back up today....

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Hague and Glass were sent down to TS yesterday. CapFriendly doesn't show that Hague was brought back up today....
CF is slow with the TS stuff, there's been times where Hague is showing as being on the TS while playing in a game. Also when Glass got called up they still had him in minors for a good while.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
CF is slow with the TS stuff, there's been times where Hague is showing as being on the TS while playing in a game. Also when Glass got called up they still had him in minors for a good while.

Good to know. Not seeing anything on Reddit either, which would usually pick up the player move tweets of Twitter.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Good to know. Not seeing anything on Reddit either, which would usually pick up the player move tweets of Twitter.
Yeah, I usually check the ReviewJournal guys on twitter about potential morning skate roster updates. If nothing expect the same lineup as last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad