Tennis: US Open 2016

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Its completely ridiculous that the women are forced to play on back to back nights like that. The Halep match took a lot out of Serena. In her younger days it would not be a big deal, but when you are 34 years old, your body needs more time to recover.

Oh well, college football now gets my complete attention Saturday.

As an aside, sorry my good pal Woof, but I'll still be rooting Nole on! :laugh:

This is why many believe the USO is the worst GS. Only blinded Americans think it's the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This is why many believe the USO is the worst GS. Inly blinded Americans think it's the best.

BTW, has Ser Woof ever acknowledged the opponent's win instead of focusing so much on Serena or Fed's loss?

I am SO happy! I saw the ESPNers after, it was like a funeral.

Can we also stop with the stupid interviews when the players are coming through the tunnel? None of them want to talk and they always give robotic answers.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just watched an extended package of the match. Pliskova looked pretty good to me--kept her composure, wasn't intimidated by Serena's power. I will say that if they gave assists in tennis, Halep should get one.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Gael gonna Gael. :shakehead

He had such a good tournament to this point. Nerves getting to him, broken in his first two service games.

This might be the easiest tournament Novak has ever played. :laugh:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
This match is a gongshow. What the **** am I watching? Gael woke up all of a sudden, and broke Novak twice in third set after being broken initially.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Gael looked injured near the end. Sad he couldn't put a fight in. Hope the other match it better.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Ugh, let's hope Novak doesn't sleepwalk another GS win.

About Pliskova / Serena, poor form by her coach to blame injuries. Either you are injured and don't play, or you play and shut your mouth. You don't start playing the excuse game as a 22 time GS champion. Embarrassing.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Nishikori lost all of his will about 45 mins ago. I'm excited for Stan-Novak. My two favorite players in tennis going at it. Can Stan's backhand beat Novak's defense? He isn't exactly playing his best tennis, so I think Stan has a very, very good shot at the third slam on Sunday.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Having watched only the first set of Nishikori/Wawrinka in a bar between TIFF movies, I was amazed to get home to see that Stan had won. Kei looked terrific in that opening set and Stan had gazillions unforced errors. Guess he much have gotten his act together.

Elvis P

Kreid and Joy
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Having watched only the first set of Nishikori/Wawrinka in a bar between TIFF movies, I was amazed to get home to see that Stan had won. Kei looked terrific in that opening set and Stan had gazillions unforced errors. Guess he much have gotten his act together.
I saw a post you made a couple days ago where you said del Potro could increase his fitness and mental toughness and do better in 5 set matches. He's a 6' 6" 27 year old man who's had 3 or 4 wrist surgeries and had a poor record in 5 setters before his injuries. He's not gonna suddenly become a clutch 5 set player with amazing mental toughness and the speed of Nadal.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ugh, let's hope Novak doesn't sleepwalk another GS win.

About Pliskova / Serena, poor form by her coach to blame injuries. Either you are injured and don't play, or you play and shut your mouth. You don't start playing the excuse game as a 22 time GS champion. Embarrassing.

Start playing the excuse card? It's been like that her whole career. I've never seen a top professional athlete whine and complain as much as Serena.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I saw a post you made a couple days ago where you said del Potro could increase his fitness and mental toughness and do better in 5 set matches. He's a 6' 6" 27 year old man who's had 3 or 4 wrist surgeries and had a poor record in 5 setters before his injuries. He's not gonna suddenly become a clutch 5 set player with amazing mental toughness and the speed of Nadal.
Try reading the quote again:
Hopefully with more match toughness and greater fitness Del Potro can make a big splash next year, assuming he stays healthy. Unfortunately, I can also see him being one of those "what if?" athletes, though I hope that will not be the case.
See anything about five set matches?

Either your aneurysm is acting up again or you misrepresented what I said because I said absolutely nothing about five set matches whatsoever. For good measure, I said nothing about mental toughness or speed either. So unknot your tail.

Last edited:

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Start playing the excuse card? It's been like that her whole career. I've never seen a top professional athlete whine and complain as much as Serena.
Ah yes, the haterz making my man Ser Woof a profit.

I think instead I will give the GOAT credit for gutting it out & not disappointing her adoring NYC fans by simply choosing not to play.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Pliskova ran out of energy in the third set - physical and emotional. What a year for Kerber! Two slams, one slam final and a silver medal. Unheard of in women's tennis (besides Serena) in the past decade.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Its completely ridiculous that the women are forced to play on back to back nights like that. The Halep match took a lot out of Serena. In her younger days it would not be a big deal, but when you are 34 years old, your body needs more time to recover.

Oh well, college football now gets my complete attention Saturday.

As an aside, sorry my good pal Woof, but I'll still be rooting Nole on! :laugh:
I personally think it's ridiculous that they only play best of 3 at majors.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
MTF and experts are 50-50 on this final. Novak's never been this less of a favorite going into the final (at least in the past 5 years), but given his form in the summer and this tournament sometimes, it's understandable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad