Tennis: US Open 2016

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I am just about to cry after watching this trophy ceremony. Wow. These guys. So much love and appreciation for each other. How can anyone hate Novak or Stan after watching this? Such gracious winners and losers. And as for Stan, just wow. So happy to be cheering for these two! :D

I think it's mostly personal, but Novak's worked a lot with Stan outside of actual matches. For one, they practice together, and spend decent time off-season together too. It's huge for Stan to say "If it wasn't for you [Novak], I wouldn't be here". Definitely seems like there's more to it than just tennis.

Yeah that quote really caught my attention. He immediately got very emotional right there.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It's just too bad that Stan is already 31. He's the one that stepped his game up to make room for some parity in men's tennis in the last few years.

It's a little surprising that he has as many GS titles as Murray. But of course, Murray dwarfs him in the overall title count.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yeah that quote really caught my attention. He immediately got very emotional right there.

that could also be interpreted as Nole having been the factor that changed Stan and catapulted him to success as opposed to something off the court.

After their epic 2013 AO match followed by another 5 setter in USO that same year, which Stan lost both, he came back defeated Nole and won his first Grand Slam. That was also when he appeared with that tattoo with that quote. Stan was mentally stronger. Since then it's 3-3 between him and Nole and 2 of those were GS finals both won by Stan.

So yeah, I interpret that quote as Wawa saying to Nole that thanks to his deflating loses against him he changed and became the champion that he is now.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Got out of my TIFF movies for the day in time to see the last three sets. Watching from some distance in a bar, the second and third sets seemed epic battles. What a horrible way to lose each set: give up an energy-draining early service break, struggle back to deuce the set, only to lose late in the set before you can get to a tie breaker. Then repeat in the next set, only take it a little deeper. Kudos to Stan. He seems so incredibly comfortable playing against Nole now. Three GS championships--nothing flukish about his late career success now.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Stan is now 3-0 in Slam finals. He also 11-0 in finals since 2014, his last loss in a finals was a 250 in 's-Hertogenbosch in June 2013 to Mahut.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The last four days of the tournament really helped make up for what I thought was a very lackluster US Open up to that point. The mens and womens semifinals were all good, and both finals were thrilling. Yesterday's mens match had some of the best points I have ever seen. So happy that Stan won, I could watch him hit that backhand all day. It is unreal how much power he gets on it and how he can place it anywhere he wants.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
This was an extremely impressive win by Stan. He didn't paint the lines as much as in their earlier matchups (AO & RG), but he was so, so mentally clutch. His body serve bailed him out at break points, and he worked himself into the game during the first set finding his serve (not so much) and forehand (more).

He strikes me as a genuinely nice guy, props to him :handclap:

If you guys haven't seen it before, take a look at Roddicks Periscope commentary. It's quite good with a unique perspective, for example I learned a closed roof with 24 000 people and their body heat actually slows things down :O

https://www.periscope.tv/andyroddick/1rmxPRPojkmGN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad