Tennis: US Open 2016

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
http://www.usopen.org/index.html

Qualifying begins tomorrow and main draw in one week.

Interesting story lines coming in. No Federer of course and I wonder on the health of the other three from the "big 4". Djokovic pulled out of Cincinnati due to a recurring wrist injury, Nadal complained of injury following his loss to Coric and Murray has played a lot of tennis lately. Djokovic is the defending champ.

Berdych out because of appendicitis.

Outside of the big 4, Cilic likely the next favorite. Coming off a title and win against Murray in the final. He, of course, won the USO in 2014.

My bold prediction is that someone not in the big 4 wins and we could very likely see a first time GS winner.

On the women's side, Serena is chasing history. Tied with Graff right now at 22 titles (second all time). She lost in the SF last year. Pennetta is the defending champ.

Last edited:

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
If the amount of greatness in this one photo had a weight, it would crush the planet.

14054184_10154048990061026_3652047549251469469_n.jpg

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Taking a quick look, I'd say that Murray (Nishikori, Wawrinka, Djokovic) has the best draw, Rafa (Raonic, Djokovic, Murray) has the toughest draw and Del Potro's draw is fairly doable if he is on form, at least to the quarters when he would likely face Stan, but that's not all that terrible a match up either.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Taking a quick look, I'd say that Murray (Nishikori, Wawrinka, Djokovic) has the best draw, Rafa (Raonic, Djokovic, Murray) has the toughest draw and Del Potro's draw is fairly doable if he is on form, at least to the quarters when he would likely face Stan, but that's not all that terrible a match up either.

I have this feeling Djokovic will be out before the quarters. I think Murray is the favourite and DelPo is second.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I have this feeling Djokovic will be out before the quarters. I think Murray is the favourite and DelPo is second.
Isner/Gasquet, one or the other, would be his toughest match before the quarters. Unless his wrist is really a problem, I don't see an upset happening that early.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Filled out my bracket and my QF's are:
Cilic/Djokovic
Nadal/Raonic
Thiem/Kyrgios
Murray/Nishikori

Cilic/Raonic
Kyrgios/Murray

Murray/Raonic

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Let's go with Serena Williams on the women's side to further cement her status as the GOAT.

And Raonic on the men's side. Just because it'd be hilarious to see the outrage ensue.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
why outrage?

Raonic tends to raise the hackles of a lot of people in the tennis community because his game is heavily reliant on his serving ability. In turn, that tends to garner him the not so flattering designation of being a one dimensional "servebot".

I'll admit that I used to lean in that direction as well as I didn't find him entertaining/interesting to watch (still not the most engaging, from a purely tennis standpoint) but the work he's done over the past 18 months to improve his all around ability has made me appreciate him a little more. His court coverage has improved drastically, his backhand has become more consistent whereas it used to be a liability, returns serve much more efficiently and his net play is night and day from what it used to be. I still have trouble believing that Raonic actually learned how to volley like a professional tennis player... :laugh:

I think that his talent and his consistency is deserving of a slam and would like to see him finally his maiden major out of the way. Not a guy I cheer for, but his dedication and hard work is such a stark contrast to the headcase wannabe celebrity that is Eugenie Bouchard, Canada deserves to finally have a breakthrough in the sport.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm going to be dull and boring and pick Murray and Serena.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Raonic tends to raise the hackles of a lot of people in the tennis community because his game is heavily reliant on his serving ability. In turn, that tends to garner him the not so flattering designation of being a one dimensional "servebot".

I'll admit that I used to lean in that direction as well as I didn't find him entertaining/interesting to watch (still not the most engaging, from a purely tennis standpoint) but the work he's done over the past 18 months to improve his all around ability has made me appreciate him a little more. His court coverage has improved drastically, his backhand has become more consistent whereas it used to be a liability, returns serve much more efficiently and his net play is night and day from what it used to be. I still have trouble believing that Raonic actually learned how to volley like a professional tennis player... :laugh:

I think that his talent and his consistency is deserving of a slam and would like to see him finally his maiden major out of the way. Not a guy I cheer for, but his dedication and hard work is such a stark contrast to the headcase wannabe celebrity that is Eugenie Bouchard, Canada deserves to finally have a breakthrough in the sport.

ahhh. yes. :laugh:
I was listening to a report, saying this is Milos's time right now because some of the big guys are just... slowing down (Roger, etc), and the there is a crush of new guys who could over take him, and at 25 he should be making strides to be part of the "big guy" group and not just. Plucky Canadian, almost did it. [again].

I was actually "surprised" (in quotes yes) that Eugenie tumbled all the way down to 40th. isn't that basically where she started from two years ago? (or lower maybe). she does need to get her crap together though.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Also MTF hates Raonic. So it's always great to see him do well to see al the 'servbot' 'Raobot' posts and 'how does he have any fans outside Canada' threads.

The best ones though are the "Raonic Draw Generator" posts.

Raonic has a very manageable draw here, and could reach the semis, and also potentially the final if Djokovic isn't at his best again.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

I've always preferred the speedier players, but, I've loved having a Canadian to root for. But, Raonic has been easy to root for since he seems so intent on improving himself constantly.

Raonic has an interesting article in The Players Tribune.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sending-a-message/

Raonic has struggled to get past the big 4, but, as a guy who seems to always pull something from those experiences, I think he'll continue to get better and hopefully get that Grand Slam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad