Tennis: US Open 2016

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Serena saves two break points to hold. Halep up 40-15 and then two double faults. Jeez.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That's true but this is a fight, a rare sight in the Women's game nowadays.

Kerber has fought her tooth and nail all year at the majors which has been awesome to see.

Garbine Muguruza has too at the slams they met up in over the past couple years.

But I do agree. It is great to see... just wish it wasn't this much of one lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kerber has fought her tooth and nail all year at the majors which has been awesome to see.

Garbine Muguruza has too at the slams they met up in over the past couple years.

Ya, Kerber and Serena seem to be building a rivalry here, interestingly enough with Kerber being a counter-puncher similar to Halep who has developed a more aggressive mentality over the past few years. I'm rooting for the rubber match but this is a nice appetizer. Still think Serena pulls this out as I don't think Halep can keep up the pace.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That should be the ball game, but there is a long ways to go.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Ya, Kerber and Serena seem to be building a rivalry here, interestingly enough with Kerber being a counter-puncher similar to Halep who has developed a more aggressive mentality over the past few years. I'm rooting for the rubber match but this is a nice appetizer. Still think Serena pulls this out as I don't think Halep can keep up the pace.

Yeah great point on the similarities between the two and how they've similarly tweaked their games over the fairly recent past. Both of them definitely have found some self belief and are much more confident too and I think the aggressiveness they've added to their games is directly responsible for that.

And you called it. Dip from Halep to get broken, almost found a 2nd wind to come back from 40-love on Serena's serve though. Still some fight left in her.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Terrific match. Best of the late rounds. Serena was very impressive and full props to Halep who played gutsy tennis all night.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
One temporary dip in play did Halep in. So hard to keep up that pace with Serena for two full sets.

Really looking forward to DelPo/Wawrinka. I think these two are the biggest threats to Djokovic.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Love late nights at the US Open. Picking the man in fuscia.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Stan gets just a little sloppy mid-game and the first break goes to Del Potro, 2-0...funny, DelP is making a lot of mistakes, but Stan is making more of them, 3-0 as both players seem to still be working the kinks out....Stan breaks back for 4-3. If mobility and endurance are going to be factors, and I think they are, than Wawrinka will have a decided edge as the match progresses....tie breaker, the first of five no doubt....Stan goes out to an early lead only to have Del Potro close the gap, but then Juan Martin makes a bad error on a set point.

2nd set: 3-2 on serve. The match is just kind of moseying along in a not particularly distinguished nor dramatic sort of way....Del Potro gets the first break of the set as Stan gets a little sloppy and even that comes rather quietly, 4-3....5-4, Juan Martin to serve for the set. The match is really stuck in the doldrums at the moment. Took awhile, what with several line challenges, but Del Potro hangs on for the set.

3rd set: another 3-2 start as both players are holding serve easily. Anybody's set, anybody's match, at this point...a very patient Wawrinka gets a well-earned break, 5-3. and he wins the set 6-3. In terms of quality of play from both players, that was the best set of the match.

4th set: Fatigue finally setting in, Juan Martin double faults on break point, 1-love....with difficulty an error-prone Stan holds for 2-0....a ever more quickly tiring Del Potro drops another serve, 3-love....Stan closes it out cleanly 6-2. A good match that never quite crossed the line into greatness.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
John is sooooo bad. Some of the things he says crack me up.

Was worried this was going to be one way traffic in this set with how listless Stan looked but happy to see it going to a breaker. Neither Stan or Del Po with their best stuff yet but it feels like this one is just getting started. Think both guys will up their games the further this one gets along. Del Po's endurance a bit of a question mark in that assumption though of course.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sort of like watching two boxers landing the odd punch but doing a lot of clinching. Not a lot of fire any either player's belly at the moment.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
So many challenges in that set. Del Po wins it.

Stan breaks in the third set. Serving for the set now.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I miss that Del Po backhand. He can still hit it as well as ever but the wrist injuries have really hampered its consistency.

Solid set of tennis from both players. Not much to choose between em so far. Think Del Po takes the 3rd, Stan the 4th.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Need coffee badly. TIFF starts tomorrow, so this may be the last match I see for awhile and I can afford to sleep in because of a late screening.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
78 points apiece at the moment. This could go five.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad