Friedman: Uptick on Edler calls

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If you think Petry is better than Edler than this discussion is over before it started.
If you think Edler is unquestionably better than Petry , then explain how. They both play big minutes. Petry puts up more points. Stays healthier. Edler maybe a bit more defensively responsible. End of the day Petry being younger and historically more healthy probably tips the value in his favour.

I’m a fan of both teams and I’d take Petry over Edler any day. But it’s still a close call

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Lmao no he won’t :laugh:

MINUMUM 5-6 years??? You’re clueless. Stop posting nonsense with no source behind it. Edler gets no more than 4 years. And to answer your question of why he would accept under 5-6 years. Hmmm maybe because no team is stupid enough to offer that much term? Such a stupid take.

Again, WHY would EDLER sign a 4 year deal? So that he eneds to find another contract @ 36 when he won't be able to play at the same level? He, and his agent, are not stupid and they know it's his LAST contract. They'll try to make the best out of it and get a contract that bring hims to 39-40-41...

He's never going to sign a 4 year deal, he's not stupid. And, if Nucks are not going to give him that said 5-6 year contract, he'll get it from somewhere else (see Radulov this past summer) and, in the end, lose him for nothing!

Greetings bud!

Last edited by a moderator:

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Again, WHY would EDLER sign a 4 year deal? So that he eneds to find another contract @ 36 when he won't be able to play at the same level? He, and his agent, are not stupid and they know it's his LAST contract. They'll try to make the best out of it and get a contract that bring hims to 39-40-41...

He's never going to sign a 4 year deal, he's not stupid. And, if Nucks are not going to give him that said 5-6 year contract, he'll get it from somewhere else (see Radulov this past summer) and, in the end, lose him for nothing!

Greetings bud!

There is absolutely zero chance in hell Edler gets a 6 year contract from Van let alone anyone else. Of course that’s what his agent wants lol but NO GM is stupid enough to gamble big bucks long term on an injury prone soon to be 33 year old dman. He’ll be on 2-3 year deals till he retires . Your logic is extremely flawed here

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
There is absolutely zero chance in hell Edler gets a 6 year contract from Van let alone anyone else. Of course that’s what his agent wants lol but NO GM is stupid enough to gamble big bucks long term on an injury prone soon to be 33 year old dman. He’ll be on 2-3 year deals till he retires . Your logic is extremely flawed here
Maybe the Habs do 7 years if it makes that much sense.

member 290103

Edler is off the table. The Canucks need him to mentor Petey. They can't trade him.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Greetings bud!
It’s not a hard concept...no team is going to offer him more than 4 years..so why the hell would he get 5-6? It’s not always up to the player he’s not going to get whatever he wants lmao

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Milan Freakin Lucic just signer a 6 year deal when everyon knew he'd slow down. Is it a terrible deal? Yeah, but someone will give Edler a similar deal, maybe not the Canucks, but more than probbaly another GM will. Therefore, either he signs that deal in VAN, or they lose him for nothing at free agency.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Milan Freakin Lucic just signer a 6 year deal when everyon knew he'd slow down. Is it a terrible deal? Yeah, but someone will give Edler a similar deal, maybe not the Canucks, but more than probbaly another GM will. Therefore, either he signs that deal in VAN, or they lose him for nothing at free agency.
No it’s not an either or. He wants to stay in Vancouver badly. His wife and kids are stapled here. He’s made that clear. If he gets offered 3-4 years @ 5-6 million per in Vancouver, he takes that over any 6 year deal somewhere else any day.

member 290103

No it’s not an either or. He wants to stay in Vancouver badly. His wife and kids are stapled here. He’s made that clear. If he gets offered 3-4 years @ 5-6 million per in Vancouver, he takes that over any 6 year deal somewhere else any day.

He's not getting a f***ing 6 year offer. Let's get real. This is a 3/4 d-man on most good teams who is injury prone and will rapidly deteriorate over the next two years if history of d-men at this age is any indication.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It’s not a hard concept...no team is going to offer him more than 4 years..so why the hell would he get 5-6? It’s not always up to the player he’s not going to get whatever he wants lmao
Hes worth less than Petry but is way more valuable. I see how this works.

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Maybe the Habs do 7 years if it makes that much sense.

But at what price ? Sure I’d offer him a 7 year deal if it was 2m a year lol but why on earth would he take that when he could prob get 6m x 3year from someone. Do you honestly think they would offer him a 7 year deal at say 4-5m per ?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

The Lucic and Eriksson UFA season changed the market. Don't see deals that bad as regularly. Edler has never had crazy demands at contract time and has always been an easy sign. Said over and over he wants to be in Vancouver. I don't see him holding out for a ridiculous term and I don't see a team offering him that kind of deal either.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

I will 100% drive him to the airport and happily lose him for nothing rather than sign him to a Lucic deal.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It's a sellers market this year so of course that means the idiot Benning is preparing a 5 year extension for the aging Dman. Bank on it.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
But at what price ? Sure I’d offer him a 7 year deal if it was 2m a year lol but why on earth would he take that when he could prob get 6m x 3year from someone. Do you honestly think they would offer him a 7 year deal at say 4-5m per ?
I was teasing the Hab fan.

I don’t think he gets a contract that puts him through the expansion draft.

#1, I believe he wants to stay in Vancouver so a longer term contract would require a NMC so Seattle doesn’t pick him.

#2, Vancouver shouldn’t give him the NMC and tie up a spot with him.

#3, so that leaves a 2 year contract and then he can resign. But the give and take on that is you have to pay him what he’s worth. If you believe he’s a top pair guy then that’s the dollar amount he will get. 5 million is not even close to get it done.

Every fan base has their crazy ideas about their favorite players resigning with their team and taking a discount. We had to listen to it from Leaf fans with Nylander and Matthews. “They will take a discount to keep the team together and win Cups”, they will get their money though endorsements” “Dubas said everyone will fit”. It doesn’t happen much anymore.

Last edited:

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
I was teasing the Hab fan.

I don’t think he gets a contract that puts him through the expansion draft.

#1, I believe he wants to stay in Vancouver so a longer term contract would require a NMC so Seattle doesn’t pick him.

#2, Vancouver shouldn’t give him the NMC and tie up a spot with him.

#3, so that leaves a 2 year contract and then he can resign. But the give and take on that is you have to pay him what he’s worth. If you believe he’s a top pair guy then that’s the dollar amount he will get. 5 million is not even close to get it done.

Every fan base has their crazy ideas about their favorite players resigning with their team and taking a discount. We had to listen to it from Leaf fans with Nylander and Matthews. “They will take a discount to keep the team together and win Cups”, they will get their money though endorsements” “Dubas said everyone will fit”. It doesn’t happen much anymore.

Ohh my bad then I missed that convo with the Habs fan lol sorry..

I agree with your assessment , your bang on with the temperature of how his contract negotiations are right now . The sticking point very much is the NMC and it’s repercussions for expansion draft. Our fanbase and media are already freaking out over the fact that if Hughes ends up playing this year we’ll have to protect him . Hence the issue if we have to protect Edler as well. I wouldn’t mind if we ended up giving him a 2 year 6m deal , anything more and id have reservations.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Ohh my bad then I missed that convo with the Habs fan lol sorry..

I agree with your assessment , your bang on with the temperature of how his contract negotiations are right now . The sticking point very much is the NMC and it’s repercussions for expansion draft. Our fanbase and media are already freaking out over the fact that if Hughes ends up playing this year we’ll have to protect him . Hence the issue if we have to protect Edler as well. I wouldn’t mind if we ended up giving him a 2 year 6m deal , anything more and id have reservations.
I can’t remember the rules. Do you have to protect partial NMCs?

Not trying to be a jerk here but, are the Canucks that deep that people are overly worried about losing a player? Who might they be worried about?

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
I’m not 100% sure but I believe any NMC have to be acknowledged...

Haha don’t worry your not being one . It’s definitely a total overreaction on our part lol because we are definitely not deep anywhere. It stems from the considerable hate and constant microscope on our management group . The fear that we’ll lose somebody decent without getting an asset back could cause a riot ...pun intended .

Reactions: TS Quint

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I can’t remember the rules. Do you have to protect partial NMCs?

Not trying to be a jerk here but, are the Canucks that deep that people are overly worried about losing a player? Who might they be worried about?
No such thing as a partial NMC. There are partial NTC’s. But NTC’s (even full NTC) don’t need to be protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad