Friedman: Uptick on Edler calls

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
The most likely scenario is that Edler resigns with the Canucks.

I guess there is a less likely scenario where he agrees to be moved to help the Canucks gain assets and then return in the summer. The return would have to be 1st + decent prospect or you just wouldn't ask him to uproot his life like that.

I don't really see him wanting to sign anywhere else unless our contract offer wasn't competitive at all and considering he is our best dman and Benning doesn't mind overpaying he'll almost certainly be a Canucks next yr.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
It would be a huge d bag move if they moved Edler when he didn’t want to.

I get asset management and all, but this is pretty ridiculous if they move him when he didn’t want to.
He has a choice. If he doesn’t want to move, he won’t move, it’s as simple as that. It’s called a NTC.

Reactions: Mr Plow

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Unless he can prove he can stay healthy, he's def not worth much more than that!

Not a single team will hand out a 1st for a d-man who's going to play 1 game out of 2 due ton injuries
Edler if you look at his injury status is way overblown. In the last 4 years, he has had some major long term injuries. He is a fricken workhorse who any team will be giving up a 1st for or JB says go find a better option. As for Edler waiving. Yes, not ideal. But he wants to be here long term. That will not change in July. If Jb says hey go to the jets for a couple of months. We get a first and we handshake on resigning you in the summer. JB is about as honest as they come. He promised a lot this year and has stuck by every bit of it. Back to my injury point. some of his injuries have been for 4-6 months. it totally skews his numbers. That is why they say over the last 4 years. If they actually show his whole career he plays close to a full season. Typical media just trying to stir the pot.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
No it doesn't.

Injury prone, slowing d-man aren't worth a 1st!
Ya, watch a Canucks game once in a while 40 to 50 point 2way physical dman who logs 25 mins a night? ya 1st or JB will just resign him and wait till a team offers a first for Tanev Also look at the Nucks record even just this year without Edler 2 17 and 3. That's how much of an impact he You can say he is not a #1 D. but there are 31 in the league His stats have him in the top 16 so ya he is worth a 1st. the guy does everything. I hope he is onlt traded if we have a handshake 3 year deal for him in the summer. otherwise, Tanev will get a 1st or a package JB could flip for a 1st There is no way JB isn't going to have at least 2 1st round picks in our own building.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
If Edler does leave Vancouver I doubt he’d want to move twice. If he has to leave it will be in the off-season. I think he’s willing to go to ufa in July based on his body of work in Vancouver.
Ya if he gets traded for 2 months, he won't be uprooting his family. He will resign with Van he wants that JB wants that and would match any offer he will retire as a Canuck. If he wants to leave for a chance at a cup and to help the team\, cool. if not Just shows how much he loves being here. Like most Swedes. See ya in the summer EK lol.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Edler can also chose where he wants to go

THEREFORE, decreasing his value cause he may ask a trade to ONE team only (say TBL)

Therefore, KNOWING he'll only accept a deal to TB, WHY would TB give a 1st round pick for him? To pelase Bennign and the Nucks fans? Not happening.

Who says TB wants him? Does he even improve them?

He can't choose where he wants to go. There won't be enough demand for him to say that.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Who says TB wants him? Does he even improve them?

He can't choose where he wants to go. There won't be enough demand for him to say that.

That was an example.

If he accepts to be dealt to one team, and one team only, his value drops by a large margin (see Kessel to PIT)

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
People think Edler wouldn't get a late 1st. Look at what Jensen just got.

God I hate Benning so much. Has wasted so many assets

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
People think Edler wouldn't get a late 1st. Look at what Jensen just got.

God I hate Benning so much. Has wasted so many assets

They got a very low 2nd, and a bottom pairing / #6D d-man that may be able to maybe become a suitable #4 w/ time (once promising, not so much anymore)

So care to explain to me why exactly Edler is worth at minimum a 1st?

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Edler if you look at his injury status is way overblown. In the last 4 years, he has had some major long term injuries. He is a fricken workhorse who any team will be giving up a 1st for or JB says go find a better option. As for Edler waiving. Yes, not ideal. But he wants to be here long term. That will not change in July. If Jb says hey go to the jets for a couple of months. We get a first and we handshake on resigning you in the summer. JB is about as honest as they come. He promised a lot this year and has stuck by every bit of it. Back to my injury point. some of his injuries have been for 4-6 months. it totally skews his numbers. That is why they say over the last 4 years. If they actually show his whole career he plays close to a full season. Typical media just trying to stir the pot.

Hes played over 70 games one time since 2010. His injury prone label is warranted.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Hes played over 70 games one time since 2010. His injury prone label is warranted.
11/12 He played 82
12/13 Was a lockout and he played all the games available.
14/15 He played 74
17/18 He played 70

Yes he is injury prone. But you would be acquiring him for the last 25 or so games of the season, where he is more likely to be healthy. He will also have a significantly lower load of play time, and so he would also be less likely to get injured again in the first place.

Edler is definitely worth a late first, that or two seconds. He is one of the few bright spots on the team. Any team getting him is going to be better off, unless that team is Nashville.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
They got a very low 2nd, and a bottom pairing / #6D d-man that may be able to maybe become a suitable #4 w/ time (once promising, not so much anymore)

Jensen is a 4/5 defenceman. Edler produces and plays at a Top30 D rate for the league!

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009

Because Edler is a lot better than Jensen. Do you actually watch either player?

And I like Jensen. Wouldn't mind Vancouver taking a run at him in free agency. But Edler has been a rock this year and I'm thinking any team wanting to make a cup run would happily give up a late 1st for Edler

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Because Edler is a lot better than Jensen. Do you actually watch either player?

And I like Jensen. Wouldn't mind Vancouver taking a run at him in free agency. But Edler has been a rock this year and I'm thinking any team wanting to make a cup run would happily give up a late 1st for Edler

Jense is also younger and won,t crack a collarbone when touched by an opposing player

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

LOL Habs are 1 spot below the caps in the standings. Their 2nd right now if both teams were eliminated at the same stage would be 1 pick ahead. Edler is 10x the player the Jensen is yet you think he’s worth a 2nd one spot ahead and a prospect not even close to as touted as Bowey was.

So for arguments sake nick Jensen returned as of right now the 54th overall pick and bowey. Your offer for edler was the 53rd pick and a b prospect.

The picks are a wash. 1 pick apart means they hold the same value.

Bowey is 23 and a 3rd pairing dman with upside. Once highly touted.

Let’s look at the prospects you offered:
Tyzcka - dome a dozen d prospect every team has
Fleury - decent prospect. Only one of the 3 that actually holds value. Compare him to Bowey at 20 though, and still not as good.
McShane - barely a ppg 19 year old in the ohl. I probably wouldn’t even give up the 4th round pick used to select him.

So we get the same 2nd round pick and a lesser prospect for a much better player.

Reactions: canucks20

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
LOL Habs are 1 spot below the caps in the standings. Their 2nd right now if both teams were eliminated at the same stage would be 1 pick ahead. Edler is 10x the player the Jensen is yet you think he’s worth a 2nd one spot ahead and a prospect not even close to as touted as Bowey was.

So for arguments sake nick Jensen returned as of right now the 54th overall pick and bowey. Your offer for edler was the 53rd pick and a b prospect.

The picks are a wash. 1 pick apart means they hold the same value.

Bowey is 23 and a 3rd pairing dman with upside. Once highly touted.

Let’s look at the prospects you offered:
Tyzcka - dome a dozen d prospect every team has
Fleury - decent prospect. Only one of the 3 that actually holds value. Compare him to Bowey at 20 though, and still not as good.
McShane - barely a ppg 19 year old in the ohl. I probably wouldn’t even give up the 4th round pick used to select him.

So we get the same 2nd round pick and a lesser prospect for a much better player.

The fact Bowey ONCE was considered a good prospect isn't somethign GM are intrested in. Bowey, as of now, is a bototm pairing D and will prob remain the same until proven otherwhise. He's 23. Therefore, YES, Fleury IS actually a betetr prospect than Bowey.

AND, as pointed before, Jensen is younger, SIGNED another deal w1 the Caps, AND they received a 5th round pick in the deal. Edler prob won,t sign before he hits the market because he wants to go back to where he's from, therefore decreasing his value.

AND, has it was pointed before, he can chose wherever he wants to go. If he only wants to be traded to the Habs (for the sake of the conversation), why the hell would we give you a 1st for him knowing we're the only team you can deal with?

SO, either you lose him for nothign on july 1st, you can give him a new contract (guess h'ell be askign for a 6-7years contract KNOWING his health is an issue, he'd be dumb to sign a 3 year deal), OR, take the best offer from the only team he accepts to be dealt to and hope he signs back w/ you on july 1st (again, for 6-7 years more than probably)

IslesGM

Jan 4, 2011
The fact Bowey ONCE was considered a good prospect isn't somethign GM are intrested in. Bowey, as of now, is a bototm pairing D and will prob remain the same until proven otherwhise. He's 23. Therefore, YES, Fleury IS actually a betetr prospect than Bowey.

AND, as pointed before, Jensen is younger, SIGNED another deal w1 the Caps, AND they received a 5th round pick in the deal. Edler prob won,t sign before he hits the market because he wants to go back to where he's from, therefore decreasing his value.

AND, has it was pointed before, he can chose wherever he wants to go. If he only wants to be traded to the Habs (for the sake of the conversation), why the hell would we give you a 1st for him knowing we're the only team you can deal with?

SO, either you lose him for nothign on july 1st, you can give him a new contract (guess h'ell be askign for a 6-7years contract KNOWING his health is an issue, he'd be dumb to sign a 3 year deal), OR, take the best offer from the only team he accepts to be dealt to and hope he signs back w/ you on july 1st (again, for 6-7 years more than probably)

How much more out to lunch can you be? Why are you grinding your axe in here? Still butthurt that your trade proposal was called out as assinine? A 2nd and a B prospect doesn’t get it done. That IS how you got Petry, and we all know you robbed the Oilers. Congrats. Petry wasn’t going to re-sign, and it was still robbery. Edler is better than any Dman on your roster not named Edler. Yes, he’s better than Petey even now. Petry if available would easily fetch a 1st, so of course Edler will too. He’s a #2 Dman on almost any team. His injury history is overblown. He’s not one of those guys who’s a light breeze away from concussion number 7. Petry right now wouldn’t go for a 2nd, would he? Pretty sure you wouldn’t do that deal. Well, Edler is better than Petry and eats more minutes. Regardless of what you are willing to pay, top pairing Dman go for 1st rounders. Point finale!

Oh and if that’s all you think the Habs should pay, and figure he’ll be hurt right away, why do you even want him? Why are you here?

Enjoy that first round exit and low pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->